News The Strange New Worlds thread (news 'n stuff)

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Jack Wolfe and cooleddie74 like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

It's just a neat prop. No one is acting like it has higher value than anything else in the series.

There's just nothing else to report on for the series, so they're just grabbing what they can.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not what I said at all. Just let me be annoyed instead of rationalizing away the insistence upon showing off tiny details and exciting "old school fans." Thanks, appreciate it. :beer:

Tuskin38 likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Sorry, it just seems like an odd thing to be annoyed about to me. :shrug:
    Just ignore it.

Turtletrekker and NCC-73515 like this.
  5. fireproof78

We all have our things. This once caught me the wrong way.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Don’t feel bad. You should have seen me when they showed Picard’s Leondegrance award with a ship design from the Enterprise-E lineage for a ship that was supposed to be in service in the 2330’s.

7. fireproof78

That sounds way worse.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

I don't think that image of the plaque was taken on set, what we can see around it doesn't seem right.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Hell, TNG couldn't go half a pilot--"Look, it's old McCoy!"

10. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

And then two episodes later they remake an entire TOS episode. And then despite their plans to have as few old species as possible, they bring the Romulans back for the season finale.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And in that same episode they show a library computer graphic of Kirk's Enterprise.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ Canon Warrior Premium Member

I like the plaque and how it splits the difference between Starship and Constitution class.

It is what it is at this point. Hopefully they will be able to intertwine new adventures with memorable stories with the fan service.

13. BillJ

Then you had twenty three other episodes. It isn't so much that fan service bothers me, it is when that is all you have that it does.

14. fireproof78

It is. And I do expect them to tell new adventures. It's just when they promote it or post about it or whatever the :censored: people do on the social media garbage it's about the fan service. And we're supposed to be like "YAY!" like how people got excited over seeing "Henry McCoy" in X-Men 2 on a TV screen. :shrug::wtf:

15. BillJ

I'll give Anson Mount the benefit of the doubt at this point in the game. I don't think I've seen the man give a bad performance or go to bat for a project he didn't think would be good.

I'd be much more leery if this had been Kurtzman or Goldsmith or someone else behind the scenes who had been with the franchise going back to Discovery season one.

16. fireproof78

Oh, Kurtzman and Mount are fine by me. Goldsmith I couldn't care less about in terms of good or bad. Decidedly neutral on him. And no doubt it will go better once released. I'm sure Strange New Worlds will be fine. But, it's the "old school fans" and posting random pictures as if that's supposed to make us happy attitude that strikes me as odd.

But, I'm definitely becoming an old fuddy-duddy when it comes to stuff like this. Random bits of tawdry fan service are not interesting.

17. BillJ

I'm an old man shaking his fists at clouds at this point in my life. But I'll at least wait until the trailers start before declaring my hatred of SNW. :rofl:

saddestmoon and Turtletrekker like this.
  18. fireproof78

Hatred is too much work right now. I'd have to take a morning and afternoon nap if I did! ;)

NewHeavensNewEarth and BillJ like this.
  19. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

I'm as old as school as you get (and I do get that they want to update for the 21st century as far as overall set design etc.) I thought the Discovery version of the USS Enterprise was generally okay although I hated both the swept back aspect and the split aspect of the nacelle struts. I really wish at least they had stuck with the design shown in the orthos of the discovery scanner interface display which just had the straight-up struts with the split. I'll never understand why they think the exterior design of the original 1701 needs to be redone - Even people like Neil deGrasse Tyson feel it's a great design for an interstellar starship.

The above said with respect to the plaque I do like how it splits the difference in that it both says starship class (with a colon), and then Constitution class. Yes the Constitution class designation was added in the Franz Joseph Star Trek technical manual circa 1974 and appears to have been adopted as the ship's class since the TOS feature film era; so I think the updated bronze plaque does serve to integrate both aspects in a good way.

(YMMV Of course);)

BillJ likes this.
  20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's a tradeoff. We get some fan service so that a balance is struck between the "everything new SUCKS" crowd of grumps and the "if it's even remotely like TOS it's hokey and won't get a modern audience" drumbeaters who think everything needs to be new and "fresh."

saddestmoon, NCC-73515 and BillJ like this.