Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x08 - "The Elysian Kingdom"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, Jun 22, 2022.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

26.1%
  2. 9

16.7%
  3. 8

20.0%
  4. 7

13.9%
  5. 6

7.8%
  6. 5

3.3%
  7. 4

5.0%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

2.2%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.3%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Garth of Algar Premium Member

Loved it. A solid 8. This will probably launch a fanfic or two, :lol:

Oh, and cosplay. A lot of cosplay.

Amaris, Muji, Ovation and 1 other person like this.
  2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Babs Olusanmokun has given an interview about this week's episode at Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Actor Babs Olusanmokun Talks Dr. M’Benga – The Hollywood Reporter , and it's clear now that he is approaching M'Benga as the same character on TOS, even mentioning having viewed Booker's TOS episodes to prepare for the role.

nightwind1 and DEWLine like this.
  3. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, the episode was very appealing. I don't need every episode to bash the horrors of humanity into my face. It was a wacky fun adventure with fantastic acting, and a bit of M'Benga's sorrow.
    I was entertained, I enjoyed it.
    The Benny Russel easter egg was nice, I really hope they bring Avery Brooks onto Star Trek Confidential for an interview.

Amaris and nightwind1 like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Mediocre Old White Man Premium Member

I liked it.

Pubert, nightwind1 and GNDN18 like this.
  6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Screenwriter | Award-Winning Journalist Premium Member

I love a good LARPing episode of STAR TREK.

Nerys Myk, nightwind1 and Midquest like this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

This was fun, whimsical, ridiculous, and very moving all in one package. Beautifully done, and courageous for a modern Star Trek episode.

I liked it. I’m sad that M’Benga’s daughter’s storyline ends so soon…but this was pretty well done. Felt so much like a TOS episode (but we say that almost every week).

8/10

burningoil and nightwind1 like this.
  8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

QPid was the biggest pile of junk TNG ever aired (maybe one or two others), but it blew chunks.

ichab likes this.
  9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep reading this is so much like a TOS episode but it really feels more like 90's Trek fantasy jaunts.

10. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

unless it's a clip show episodic shows cannot have "filler" because you know they are episodic and not serialized.

dupersuper, Ovation and Serveaux like this.
  11. Serveaux

Serveaux Mediocre Old White Man Premium Member

This Boltzman Brain has a cousin who winds up dating Zephram Cochrane.

TOS comtinuity!

GNDN18 and Ovation like this.
  12. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Agree. I hated that episode. By that point I was getting tired of Q and would roll my eyes whenever he turned up.

I give this episode an 8. Wasn't feeling the fairy tale setting at first but it got better as the story went along and by the end I was almost tearing up.

If we're going to compare this episode to anything, DS9's "Our Man Bashir" is the closest where Bashir is playing a James Bond type spy on the holideck and all of a sudden Sisko, Dax etc.start turning up as characters in the story. However that ending was much different. Both were well done.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Photoman15 likes this.
  13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That's actually part of the reason I'm thinking resolving this plot thread now was a mid-season course correction. We don't actually see become sicker yet apparently days become hours or something like that. (The obvious answer is to minimize her time outside the buffer by rematerializing her as quick as possible.)

Not sure about the change in plans, but it really feels like a change made part way through. It also seemed like that they were setting this up as M'Benga's great secret that he'd have to balance against his duties going forward.

I'm fine with the quicker wrap up though.

14. erotavlas

erotavlas Ensign Red Shirt

What the heck is going on? What am I watching? I came on here to see the ratings and was really surprised this episode scored so high with so many likes. I was 10 minutes in and I could not bear to watch anymore. I don't know maybe I gave up too soon, but seriously the genre of this episode is not my interest at all and I probably will not bother watching the rest. I don't care if the acting or story was the amazing, this episode is not Star Trek or even Sci-Fi in my opinion.

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, it felt like one of the lower quality season 7 TNG episodes where they tried to be creative and change away from the tired format but failed, like the Masks episode that also transformed the ship.

Ometiklan likes this.
  16. Paul755

Paul755 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, probably my least liked episode so far. Don’t get me wrong, the actor playing M’Benga was very good. But I’m happy to have the sick daughter storyline over with. Was never a fan of it.

the rest felt like a standard Holodeck gone awry episode.

and what was the Benny Russel Easter egg, I must have missed it.

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And what is Star Trek?
    He wrote the book.

Amaris likes this.
  18. Paul755

Paul755 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

wow, I totally missed it. Thanks.

**edit**

I thought Benny Russell was a figment of Sisko’s imagination. So he was actually real. Interesting.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Very much enjoyed it. The choice at the end was powerful stuff for a weekly TV show. My daughter, at birth and for several years thereafter, had a health condition that often had us wondering about her long-term survival. Thankfully it has largely resolved itself into something that is not cured, but is quite manageable. Not identical to the situation depicted but I felt strong parallels to our life in those early years.

20. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You might try watching the rest of the episode then since it is sci-fi and Star Trek.

Amaris, dupersuper and cooleddie74 like this.