Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x07 - "Unification III"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 25, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Worth the wait.

19.4%
  2. 9

19.4%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

13.8%
  5. 6

8.1%
  6. 5

7.7%
  7. 4

2.8%
  8. 3

0.8%
  9. 2

1.6%
  10. 1 - They should have stopped at "II".

3.2%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

That may or may not be the reason Bryan Fuller wanted to set DSC in that time-frame but it's exactly why that setting was approved by those who Bryan Fuller reported to. And seeing fan-films convinced me "No! Please don't make it look like TOS!" It's just one of those things I had to see, to know that's not what I think they should do.

It absolutely was their prerogative. And I was in no rush to see the TNG Era again, so I was okay with it. Then came PIC a few years later, and then I realized I did want to see the TNG Era again after all. Shows what I knew...

DSC was created in a different time -- even though it was only five years ago -- and I think we were all in a different mental place. The studio was, I certainly was, and so were a lot of other people. So you have to look at it in the context of the time and, at the time, people still thought the 24th Century was toxic. Yes, Nemesis left that bad of a sting, that it took almost two decades to get over.

But DSC is in the 32nd Century to stay and it doesn't matter anymore because it's water under the bridge. SNW looks more faithful to the TOS Era and the more I see of SNW, the less and less interested in it I become. But different strokes for different folks. I don't care much for Lower Decks either. But I'm happy with DSC and PIC, and other people can be happy SNW and/or LD.

I really have no interest in seeing the 23rd Century again. Like I've said before: When DSC left the 23rd Century, so did I in a sense.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    PiotrB and jackoverfull like this.
  2. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Fan films is what convinced me that it COULD still be viable, and cemented in that I have infinitely more love for the old style than any of the updates. I am still of the mind, that they could have used the original model and just added textures and details for the ship. I didn't mind some of the stuff ENT did to keep in-line with an older style at times. Rebuilding the TOS floor plan with some newer looking materials and computer screens, but keeping the dimensions intact, could have easily been done, and worked just as well, IMO. The aesthetics themselves still work.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's only viable to fans.

PiotrB likes this.
  4. Phoenix219

Respectfully disagree. I'm talking about just keeping the general floorplan and color schemes and general ship aesthetics. All sorts of modern updates could be worked in. I've seen more then enough fanmade CGI and photoshops to ever believe* that the original ship design would look bad with modern effects.

*edit*

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  5. fireproof78

We're both biased.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I can't not agree with that. Well said.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Whut?

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Phoenix219

He agrees completely...

jackoverfull likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Too many nots

jackoverfull likes this.
  10. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I totally agree and would have loved to see that. It would have been bold and far more interesting than the cliched scifi look we got instead. But I have a problem with the cinematography of the whole show, the grading in particular. Try and find another colour apart from amber or teal, you'll be looking a while.

dupersuper and Phoenix219 like this.
  11. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, grading and camera movements are often really detrimental.

The second improved a bit in the third season, until we got the worst of worsts in the season finale, with upside down spinning people for no reason.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of people were whining about how the tech in ENT was too advanced when it was on the air.

I'm sorry, but a show featuring clearly-wooden sets filled with computers that look like they're straight of the 1960s was never gonna fly in the 2010s or 2020s. Hell, the only reason TNG, DS9, and VOY still work is that Michael Okuda was a goddamn genius who foresaw that one days computer displays were going to be touchscreens and replicated the concept on the cheap for a 1980s syndication budget.

Turtletrekker, SJGardner and PiotrB like this.
  13. fireproof78

Because it was.

14. jackoverfull

if anything it looked already dated to me.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean it wasn't just aesthetics. TNG's "Realm of Fear" had implied that the transporter was invented somewhere around the 2210s, but ENT had Earth inventing it in the 2150s before they'd even become a major interstellar power. TNG's "A Matter of Time" had established that phasers hadn't been invented in the 22nd Century, but ENT had everyone using "phase pistols" and "phase cannons" that are, from a dramatic POV, identical to phasers. The "photonic torpedoes" are virtual identical to photon torpedoes, etc. Basically the issue was that the actual tech was too advanced in general, not just how things looked.

SJGardner and fireproof78 like this.
  16. Nerys Myk

I loved Enterprise. Number three on my list. The tech was fine. Transporters were new. Phase pistols were the precursor to phasers. (Seriously a ray gun is a ray gun) No shields or tractor beams.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And the transporter predates even 2151. Dr. Emory Erickson invented the transporter years before ENT's first season and when Archer was much younger. This does clash with the old Earth or Federation colony from circa 2168 in "The Masterpiece Society(TNG)" being astonished by the existence of transporter technology but that could just be because they haven't had records of it that go back to the mid-to-late 22nd century or lost existing records at some point, the descendants of the original colonists not knowing what a transporter was.

18. jackoverfull

totally with you here. What I meant is that the technology looked dated from a real-world point of view, unnecessarily busy-looking, unergonomic and bulky. Something I love of TNG, and unfortunately something that was gradually lost over the years, is how simple operating the systems seemed, as if it was indeed the result of centuries of computer evolution and streamlining.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly sure that the people actually making ENT never wanted to use the transporter in the first place, but were forced to do so by the network bean counters.

Pity. :(

jackoverfull likes this.
  20. fireproof78

Yeah, ENT definitely felt too boxy, but at the same time too advanced for the time period. It was a weird mishmash, and didn't try to distinguish itself by limiting the tech. Phase pistols were phasers, torpedoes were torpedoes, etc. It's why I'm less concerned with the aesthetics of various shows-ENT pretty much showed that the differences are not much.

As for TNG, well, the look of it was sleek but LCARS was never advanced looking to my eye. Bearing in mind that I saw LCARS in the 90s and found it aesthetically unpleasing and uninteresting.