Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x07 - "Unification III"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 25, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Worth the wait.

19.4%
  2. 9

19.4%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

13.8%
  5. 6

8.1%
  6. 5

7.7%
  7. 4

2.8%
  8. 3

0.8%
  9. 2

1.6%
  10. 1 - They should have stopped at "II".

3.2%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

All the tech, no matter what the era, is the same. You just change the name and say it's more powerful.
    Call it a laser, a phase pistol or a phaser, it's still a ray gun that shoots a beam of light and hurts bad guys.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    There was a physical brig with sliding metal doors, no force fields, no shields and until Season 3 nothing even remotely approaching photon torpedoes. Pretty good for a series that had to find a good balance between 2001 technology and 1966 design aesthetics.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except the quantum ones. They are always better.

You know why...
    The physical sets did OK, at times, and I could appreciate some parts of the design, especially the more claustrophobic feel, and the brig. But, the overall tech side was a weird mishmash that didn't always line up, or felt like it belonged more in the TNG era. When they got it right, though, it was great.

4. Nerys Myk

To me the signature TNG tech is life like holograms. Something the NX-01 didn't have. The rest was just TOS tech.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ENT was TOS tech with no projected energy fields, a more limited range and more metallic-looking surfaces.

lightspeedbear and Nerys Myk like this.
  6. Nerys Myk

Exactly.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I think Enterprise felt just right. It wasn't TOS and wasn't TNG it felt a bit morre "real" with things like tactile switches and buttons, even their computer screens had two rows of buttons along the X and Y axis for accessing menus and functions, no fancy touch panels.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

What exactly did "polarizing the hull plating" entail, anyway? What did it even mean?

9. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Turtletrekker likes this.
  10. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Yup, this is all part of why I rationalize that the entirety of Enterprise is set after a timeline rewrite from the point of First Contact, onward.

When did I say their wouldn't be updated computer visuals, or that the set wouldn't be made out of sturdier materials?

Still doesn't change the fact that the ship design, bridge layouts, floor plans and color schemes would have still worked perfectly.

11. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back on the topic of Unification III: We learn that not only did the Romulans ultimately join the Federation by the 32nd century, they apparently liked it so much that they wanted to stay even after the Burn.

So my question is this--did the truth about Vreenak's death (from DS9) ever come out? Did the Romulans still like the Fed even knowing they were deceived and Vreenak murdered to involve them into the Dominion War? Or do they still not know about this, and would a revelation of the truth cause any change in Romulan membership in the Fed?

12. fireproof78

Probably not.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There probably isn't even anybody alive still who knows anything about it.

14. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There wasn't anyone alive (except Burnham) who even knew Spock in Unification III, but they made the whole meeting and trial about him anyway.

Also Changelings live for centuries. One of them could've said, yeah we really didn't kill Vreenak, and at that point after the war was over, they may well have been believed.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vreenak was Tal Shiar, so he may not have been mourned all that much.

I'm sure there were those in the Romulan government - and military - which wanted him eliminated anyway, and would most likely not shed a tear after his death.

And besides, it was Garak who was responsible for it, not the Federation.

16. fireproof78

Because she is directly connected to him. Who is connected to Vreenak or the Tal Shiar?

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's ancient history anyway, even for those who might have been there. Many of those who fought in the World Wars were veterans of previous wars, where the alliances had been quite different and current allies might well have been earlier enemies. So what if the Feds betrayed the Star Empire back in the 2370s, or killed a few billion Romulans in the 2150s, or perhaps conspired to blow up the homestar of Romulus in the 2380s? Empires do that sort of stuff to each other, and then shake hands so that they can do it unto their newest set of enemies side by side.

In terms of sheer years involved, relations between England and France today aren't predicated on what happened in the Hundred Years' War. In terms of generations, it's probably more comparable to the impact the US War of Independence has on current UK/France affairs. That is, you can do stand-up comedy with witty references to those events, but that's about it.

Timo Saloniemi

Yistaan likes this.
  18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find it hard to imagine that 32nd Century Romulans -- who have abandoned their own sovereign state and have chosen to become a culture sharing the planet of Vulcan/Ni'Var with Vulcans -- would care enough about something that happened eight hundred twenty years earlier to not want to rejoin the Federation. I mean, do the French care enough about the aggression of the Kingdom of England against the Kingdom of France in the Anglo-French War of 1213-1214 as to warrant the French Republic rejecting NATO membership with the United Kingdom? Because to 3190s Romulans, the events of 2374 are about as distant as the events of 1213 are from us.

19. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still watching in my Sacramento hotel room. I liked it. I especially liked how Burnham, seeing that convincing the quorum was a no-win scenario, withdrew her plea, only to find that she'd impressed the Vulcan president enough to get the data anyway.

Tilly as acting first officer? My, but she's had quite a story arc. Then again, she's been replaced as "the precocious kid."

And of course, Ni'Var is a nod to a fanfic short story. A very old one (see Bantam's Star Trek: The New Voyages).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The bolded portion is my big issue with the episode. Actions should have consequences, and it's not actually a sacrifice which shows character growth unless Michael actually loses something.

It was also totally unnecessary, because they could have come up with some technobabble excuse why they didn't need the data in the following episode.