Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x08 - "If Memory Serves"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 7, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - A mind-blowing episode.

50.0%
  2. 9

25.5%
  3. 8

15.1%
  4. 7

5.0%
  5. 6

2.2%
  6. 5

0.7%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - I imagined better.

0.4%
  1. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Fleet Captain

Hillarious essay from a person who doesn't understand its 2019. This is like someone has pasted a buffet of all the complaints the show has gotten from 'big fans of Star Trek' and put them in one post. Silly as F**k. Thanks. I needed a laugh today.

Sparky, Turtletrekker, PiotrB and 6 others like this.
  2. AccessDenied

AccessDenied Ensign Red Shirt

That is some serious bit commitment. Definitely none of those questions were rhetorical so congrats on a sick own.

3. Rahul

Rahul Commodore Commodore

Look, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here - you have written like a thousand words here, and it's not some copy-paste stuff, so I think you actually really do care.

The reason why everyone is mostly ignoring you is because you started with "Mary Sue". That's not an argument. That's virtue signaling, via using a buzz word. So even if your opinion is actually rather multi-layered - the first thing everyone sees of you is the buzz-word, and then a big wall of text. Let me tell you this: Whenever I see a buzzword - like "SJW" - I automatically asume the other person is kind of an asshole who thinks "social justice" is a bad thing.

The funny thing is - I even agree with some things you wrote here. I DO think the show relies too heavily on nostalgia and references in some regards. But in the end - it's just a show. There is things that are going to be good, things that won't work, and hopefully things that blow your mind.

For me it comes down to wether the show gives you what you want from Star Trek or not. For me - since season 2 started, it does. It's a genuine optimistic sci-fi show about space explorers, where the universe is scary and mysterious and worth exploring, and it's the rare action-/adventure show where the primary action of our heroes is not violence, but problem solving. I didn't realize how much I had missed that. And for that I'm absolutely willing to let some clunky plot contrievances, plot holes and canon violences violations slide - because I genuinely enjoy it for what it is. It's absolutely fair to call these issues out - hell, I do it every week on my short review to a degree. But in the end - the core premises of this show isn't going to change that drastically anymore. If you want to enjoy the good things about the show, for better or worse, you will have to come to peace with them, or be ready to never enjoy te show at all. But you have to judge the show on what it is. Not on what it isn't, or what it could have been. Because no existing show can live up to the perfect one in your head

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  4. AccessDenied

AccessDenied Ensign Red Shirt

It’s 2019. That’s correct... but not sure what this means.

5. Rahul

BTW I love this! :guffaw:

nightwind1, Tim Thomason and Alan Roi like this.
  6. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled when I heard Section 31 would be coming to Disco. I thought it was an intriguing aspect of DS9 when it surfaced there, sparingly, cuz it was a new aspect of Starfleet we'd never seen before, but I didn't like it when it later shoehorned its way onto ENT. I wish Section 31 and Georgiou would warp away from DSC and hibernate until their spin-off begins! :D

Turtletrekker and Longinus like this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a feeling your autocorrect totally ninja'd you here...but I found this pretty (ironically) hilarious!

I'm sure there are some people who consider DSC a "canon violence!"

:beer:

8. Alan Roi

In 1979 and then again in 1987 Gene gave us Star Trek's which were wildly different from what we got in 1966. Why? Because he could and because it wasn't 1966 anymore. I have been watching Star Trek since the early 70s and I have enjoyed Disco immensely. Why? Because I have been exposed to a lot of different Star Treks and understand that it doesn't stay the same from decade to decade, no should it. Its supposed to reflect when it is produces. Otherwise its a product .of the past and nostalgia first and foremost.

PS your complaints are clearly an aggregate of many other peoples complaints. So many of your specifics are spot on to what I have read again and again, right down to the 'FFS why are there dutch angles?!'. Seriously, this isn't an opinion of what I would call an individual. Its something that has been put together, IMO, by the anti-Discovery Borg collective. On the bright side, I think you got it all in one post.

9. Rahul

:guffaw:
    Actually, that was just my bad English skills.
    Anyway, I'm ready for some black flag hoisting, naval action and cannon violence.:mad:

Campe98, nightwind1, Vger23 and 2 others like this.
  10. Succubint

Succubint Captain Captain

No, Alan, obviously we're the mindless drones, slavishly conforming to the DISCO Collective. I'm surprised the term 'echo chamber' didn't get used yet, but admittedly I only skimmed.

11. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Premium Member

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I've been waiting for an opportunity to make a DISCO QUEEN joke. Disco's not dead? Disco fever?

Glad to be part of the collective. :beer:

12. Alan Roi

I would then recommend you watch you some Black Sails. A show I consider one of the best in the last decade for all you are looking for here.

Gov Kodos, nightwind1, Vger23 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

CHAMBER...CHAMber...CHamber...chamber...

Wait. What? Sorry. Couldn’t hear you over the echo. :shrug:

CorporalCaptain and Alan Roi like this.
  14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Assimilate into the hive. Assimilate into the hive.

Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Assimlate into the hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!

Alan Roi likes this.
  15. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The galactic governing body in early TOS was most definitely human-centric, with perhaps a 2% alien presence thrown in (i.e. Spock and the Vulcan crew of a ship named after a US Navy aircraft carrier), and even that seemed to imply that aliens joining the human-centric governing body was a relatively new thing. Even people like "Zefrem Cochrane of Alpha Centauri" and "Garth of Izar" seemed to be just humans who lived on Earth colony worlds.

Vger23 likes this.
  16. Alan Roi

TrickyDickie and jespah like this.
  17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only if your Imaginary Clone is much better looking than you 20 years down the line.
    :eek:

Rahul likes this.
  18. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When was it that an echo chamber became a bad thing? Those things are awesome!

BeatleJWOL, Vger23 and saddestmoon like this.
  19. cbl1

cbl1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seems the current path of Section 31 going rather rogue in Discovery will result in it being all but dissolved - made into a small shadow organization as it will be seen as eventually.

XCV330 likes this.
  20. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

Most of them were rhetorical, of course, but I gave myself the challenge of answering them all and not making a judgment on a question's merit. If you go through my answers, you will find that I agree with you on several points and on others, especially the ones where you question a plot hole or perceived inconsistency, I attempt to explain it to the best of my understanding.

I began this project before most people started dogpiling on your post, so I'm not looking to own or pwn anybody, just providing honest answers to honest questions. You will also see that I made no judgment or remark regarding opinions as many others have.