Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x04 - "An Obol for Charon"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Feb 7, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - You're number one!

21.3%
  2. 9

33.1%
  3. 8

23.0%
  4. 7

10.5%
  5. 6

4.2%
  6. 5

4.6%
  7. 4

1.3%
  8. 3

0.4%
  9. 2

0.4%
  10. 1 - An oddball for sure.

1.3%
  1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
  2. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

This episode has a 65 minute block on Canadian TV tonight which is the same as Point Of Light. I assume this episode will be a similar length.

For comparison, Brother had an 80 minute block and New Eden 60 minutes.

pst likes this.
  3. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

I wonder if "Atari Asteroids" Connolly will get a mention?

Vger23, Gonzo and XCV330 like this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

McCOY: He's really not dead. As long as we remember him.
    KIRK: 'It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before. ...A far better resting place that I go to than I have ever known'.
    CAROL: Is that a poem? I am confused. Are we talking about Spock or Connolly?
    KIRK: No, no. Something Spock was trying to tell me. On my birthday.
    McCOY: Oh.. sorry. Yeah Carol, I was talking about Connolly. Spock's actually dead, Jim. I meant Connolly is not dead.
    KIRK: I feel young.

5. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really looking forward to this one. DIS' first space wedgie. It's a rite of passage for any Trek crew:biggrin:

Also, this episode will tell us a lot about the Pike-Enterprise. Now, Anson Mount is so amazing, I want him to continue at least for another season on this show. But this episode will tell us if Rebecca Romjin is a good fit as Nr.1.

That being said, I wish the show would try to create more of its own characters, instead of trying to do a good job re-casting already familiar ones. Hopefully this episode finally leads us to a Saru-episode!

Deledrius likes this.
  6. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wondering if it might have to do with the fact that Discovery is much more of an ongoing story, in contrast to previous Treks that were much more about stand-alone episodes.

Either way, sometimes the restrictions involved are just too much for a writer to want to have to deal with. That was a problem with the Pocket novels. We want this, this, and this, but we don't want that, etc. The more you reduce the latitude for creativity, the less incentive there is for creative people to want to become involved.

Deledrius and Uhura's Song like this.
  7. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

So when in this season is Spock supposed to show up?

saddestmoon likes this.
  8. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

How many Michael Chabons is the correct number of Michael Chabons for you?

9. The Habs Fan

Based on promo pics released a while ago he seems to be in episode 7 for sure. Whether that’s his first episode or not remains to be seen.

10. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

Gee, it's good to see that someone already rated the episode a 5. Want to share that time machine?

Edit: Also, yikes @ that review. Mary Wiseman as L'Rell, Georgio, Tig Notero. Some great care and attention evidentially went into getting the details right. :rolleyes:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chabon wrote a short Trek pretty much unrelated to Discovery (besides using its set) and is writing on the Picard show. We have no evidence he's writing a Discovery episode. I very much hope he does - considering he's by far the best writing talent now involved in the franchise - but we have no indication that he's even part of Discovery's writing staff.

lawman likes this.
  12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

You seem to be acting as if, though, Discovery has a bull pen of hack writers that all walked of the offices of The Asylum Studios. So far they've had one of the best writer lineups just by resume alone that I've seen.

Chabon: Pulitzer, Hugo, Nebula, screw it.. too extensive here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chabon#Honors ,
    Goldsman Academy, Golden Globe, WGA
    Sullivan: Daytime Emmy (nomination)
    Kurtzman: Saturn, Daytime Emmy, Hugo, WGA (nomination)
    Alexander: Primetime Emmy, Hugo (nominations), WGA (nomination)
    Fuller: (various Hugo, Emmy, WGA nominations)
    Colville (WGA)

There's more, but that's just what came up so far.

And just so I don't seem to be splitting hairs or falling in for the idea you need awards to validate being a writer (Believe me, I don't) this is in reply to this:

Apparently they did find some high caliber writers who wanted to get story credit.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Midquest, Alan Roi and Tuskin38 like this.
  13. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

They are using Short Treks for that.

14. The Habs Fan

I have to add that the some of the best writers to come out of Berman Trek: Ronald D Moore, Brannon Braga, Rene Echevarria, Naren Shankar, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Bryan Fuller, Michael Taylor, Robert Doherty, Bradley Thompson & David Weddle, had no experience as professional writers before writing for Star Trek. So you really don’t know...

There’s an episode later this season that is, according to IMDB, written by two guys who have no professional writing credits. They just worked as writing assistants on other shows.

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I would love to see Bradley Thompson & David Weddle work on DSC. They'd be a good fit for this series.

Ron Moore too, but at this point if he weren't a show-runner it would be a demotion for him. I don't think I'd want him as show-runner, just writer. Ira Steven Behr would make a good show-runner, though. I can see his style meshing with Discovery easily.

Rene Echevarria would probably be good for DSC's style too, during one of the more emotionally heavy episodes.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. The Habs Fan

I would love to see some of the old writers write a Short Trek and maybe the odd episode here or there. Outside of that, they would only probably return as showrunner on a new series they have the idea for.

18. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

In fairness, though, Number One appeared in only one episode, and wasn't even very prominent. Add to that the fact that she has been a fan curiosity for years, and it makes sense to bring her in for some development.

19. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Please give her a name, and not the ridiculously stupid "Una!"

Deledrius likes this.
  20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Una McCormick might take issue with that name being called stupid. :p

BeatleJWOL, lawman, SJGardner and 5 others like this.