Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x04 - "An Obol for Charon"

Hit it!

• Total voters

Commander Richard

Yo! Man!
Premium Member

stdsc204.jpg

Number One is back after over half a century. Will they keep the mystique surrounding her? Or will they simply flesh out the character like they would anyone else who hasn't been given a shot? Maybe a little of both since they're prepping her for Discovery's captain in season 3. Maybe. Let's hope. I like the idea. Credit goes to @mickmike for that one.

I'm calling it now, I reckon the reason we have a well known actress playing number one is because she will be discovery's captain for season 3.

That's quite the poster.
I wonder just how much the show will entail that motif.
:techman:

The promo for this ep looked very intriguing, with lots going on. Can't wait to see how it all ties together - looking forward to this weeks Disco fiX!

A bit of a spoilerish review from AICN: https://www.aintitcool.com/node/81708

One non-spoilerish tidbit I'll comment on, the teleplay is co-written by Alan McElroy (previously writer on The Vampire Diaries). Another new Discovery writer. How many of these writers are still on the show after the Berg/Harberts firing remain to be seen.

One non-spoilerish tidbit I'll comment on, the teleplay is co-written by Alan McElroy (previously writer on The Vampire Diaries). Another new Discovery writer. How many of these writers are still on the show after the Berg/Harberts firing remain to be seen.

Alan McElroy's body of work is almost entirely really crappy horror movies (mostly direct to video in recent years). Plus the 2000 version of Left Behind. Best thing he's ever done is Spawn, which was really flawed, despite some good elements. Doesn't really inspire confidence. I really wondered why they hired him at the time. I keep wondering why they can't find some high-caliber writers who want to at least come in and get story credit for a single episode. There have to be a lot of people who'd chomp at the bit to write a Trek episode, whether for the first time or as a reprise of earlier work.

Last edited:
I liked Spawn. Of course, I was also 18 when it came out and haven't seen it since. So, I'm not going to go by that.

Cheesy horror movies are a specific genre so I wouldn't read too much into his quality as a writer based on them. The episode is co-written by Andrew Colville who wrote the last episode. Despite last episode having divisive opinions, Colville was a writer and producer on a bunch of really good shows. His episodes for Turn are rated very highly. So we'll see.

What I find interesting is that McElroy is a Christian and has done a couple religious adaptations. This background will probably factor into the red angels storyline.

He also says he likes this episode, he also said he liked last weeks episode, which I find very hard to believe.

Back