Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x11 - "The Wolf Inside"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 14, 2018.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Loved every minute of it!

30.9%
  2. 9

25.4%
  3. 8

19.9%
  4. 7

13.3%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

2.7%
  7. 4

2.7%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Hated every second!

0.4%
  1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Practically every Klingon in this new series has a case of marblemouth. Maybe if they didn't walk around all the time with Fiddle Faddle stuffed in their mouths. I mean, come on.

Snack time comes later, guys. Didn't Kahless teach you anything other than to look for his light?

Jack Watkins likes this.
  2. Jack Watkins

Jack Watkins Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kahlesh sounds like a Klingon fingerfood , not a Klingon figurehead. (*rimshot*)

cooleddie74 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could just use voiceovers. I would just give them all Darth Vader voices.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

IIRC, Tyler said "Kalesh" in one of his Voq awakening moments while saying the Kahless/T'Kuvma prayer, sans makeup. No excuses for marblemouthing that one, as there were no prosthetic teeth to get in the way.

I guess, after over 50 years of saying it one way (no "KahleSH" in "The Savage Curtain") they've decided it to do it another. I wonder what Mark Okrand has to say about it.

5. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

one of the s sounds in Klingon is pronounced more like sh in the back of the tongue. he actually did it right.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  6. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

he would be pleased. it's the first time the actors get it right

7. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the pronunciation existed before the language was even created. So if if the name was assigned a Klingon spelling that would result a different pronunciation than one heard in the show, then that was a mistake.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  8. Jack Watkins

Jack Watkins Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All I know is that Klingonese was a lot more pleasant in the Berman era, when it was used sparingly. I wish they had the Klingons speak English when alone on their ships, with the audience understanding its translated for our benefit.

9. Hythlodeus

have we ever heard Klingons pronounce Khaless before thlingan hol was created? I only remember Starfleet officers and Excalbians

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Exactly what I'm wondering.
    Hmm...actually, no, come to think of it. I don't recall it ever being mentioned in any of the TOS movies and I think the first time it was mentioned in TNG was by Worf, after thlingan hol was invented. So, yes, it could be explained as an outworlder mispronunciation all this time.

11. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It could have a different pronunciation in English and Klingon. So neither is actually incorrect.

12. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

nope - there is no correct english pronounciation for klingon, vulcan ... whatever word(s) !!

there may be a common english (in this case american) mispronunciation for klingon, vulcan ... whatever word(s), though :D

13. oberth

there is no american pronunciation for the german word kindergarten - there is one for the english loan word kindergarden

14. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some words, place names especially, are radically different when anglicized. Mumbai/Bombay, Napoli/Naples etc. This can go for historical figures as well. Christopher Columbus is Cristoforo Colombo in Italy and Cristóbal Colón in Spain. Why couldn't Kahless be anglicized as well?

15. oberth

• want me to say neu jork?
    • because the guys talking about him are mostly klingons? so kirk could totally mispronounce him, but kling-OTs (adm gardener)?
    • ufp people are sure as hell polite enough to pronounce him properly? (just think what kind of hell broke lose if someone said 'trömp')
    names are different, btw. mailand (german) - milan (english) - milano (correct italian). they get ...ized. you wouldn't want to ...ize normal words - you make them loan words (like kindergart/den) or you pronounce them correctly

whereas there might be different transliterations for petaQ (english memory alpha version) there is only one way to pronounce it properly

16. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kahless is a name...

17. oberth

it is but as i said kirk might mispronuonce him but klingons? we are talking klingons here not terrans. how many americans say avram linkholm?

18. Hythlodeus

yeah, but as we have established, previous actors sucked at Klingon and simply mispronounced the name Kahless (or didn't care enough).

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Question-is Klingon not allowed to have dialects or different pronunciations? Because, I've studied some languages, and even ones like Hebrew have regional differences within that country.

20. Hythlodeus

good point. I have a hard time understanding people from Northern Germany, even though they allegedly speak the same language as me

fireproof78 likes this.