Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x10 - "Despite Yourself"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 7, 2018.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

42.6%
  2. 9

25.4%
  3. 8

18.1%
  4. 7

5.5%
  5. 6

2.6%
  6. 5

3.2%
  7. 4

1.2%
  8. 3

0.9%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.6%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Each universe has it's own time, moving faster or slower or backwards without respect to any other universe.

jaime likes this.
  2. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Stamets seemed too sheepish when he thought regular Tilly was Killy and called her captain. The emperor needs to be a badass. If not Philipa, maybe intro a TOS character as emp. I'd love it if it were a cyborg Pike with a distorted face like post-accident Pike. With an armed assault throne, lol

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Search4 likes this.
  3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    One of the NX-class starships in the 2150s was also presumably named Discovery, so this would likely be at least the second Starfleet vessel to carry that name if you count the United Earth Starfleet.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I'm glad they pointed this out, and acknowledged it - in many ways it's the stupidest part of MU episodes, and somehow it makes it more palatable when it's made front and centre like that.

Feron, Gonzo, 137th Gebirg and 3 others like this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But why no gold models of previous USS Discovery's in Lorca's ready room?? #canonviolation #notmystartrek

Andru and Gonzo like this.
  6. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well the Discovery's hull has a goldish color to it. Perhaps they were melted down to make the hull plating. ;)

Gonzo and F. King Daniel like this.
  7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Voyages of discovery and subsequent conquest more often than not went hand in hand in Earth history, so it doesn't seem contradictory to me.

Feron, Gonzo, Ovation and 3 others like this.
  8. cooleddie74

Thanks a lot, Space Obama.

9. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Time is a marketing tool for Swiss watches...
    It’s Trek we are talking about, of course the Defiant has its own timeline...it’s made, it travels, it may eventually get destroyed. From its perspective, it’s a line. From ours it’s more of a Z.

10. cooleddie74

I get what jaime is saying. And he's right. From the Discovery crew's perspective the Defiant is at most about a decade old. She has yet to disappear into the interspatial rift near Tholian space. But from the point of view of the Mirror Universe she's at least 102 years old and far longer in the tooth than she is in our universe at this moment in history.

It's all based on a relative view of how much time has passed. Same ship. Just an immensely different age depending on where you are in the timeline at any given moment.

antinoos and jaime like this.
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although there's no actual evidence the Eagle is a Connie. True, its "logo" on the chart looked like one, but that could be just a generic thing.

And speaking of Colonel West, I hope he shows up on DSC as a 1st Lieutenant or something. He really hates Klingons and always wants to clean their chronometers. :techman: Plus I'd love to see what DSC would do with the "Starfleet Marine" uniform...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  12. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Relativity demonstrated the falsehood of universal fixed flow of time nearly a century ago.

13. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s amazing it took that long. The French tried for decimal time at the revolution, if that doesn’t tell you every measure of time we have is just an imaginary thing, I don’t know what is.
    Heck, even aging is dependent on a bajillion different variables...speed, location, atomic make up, environmental conditions, and not least a given definition of aging...then you have to ask what the point even is in knowing the information. A thousand year old tree is not even capable of caring, and if it could care, why would it, unless it was about to be made into a cuckoo clock.

14. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

what got decimalisation to do with einstein?

15. AndyUK

AndyUK Ensign Red Shirt

Just caught up on this. Fun episode, love the Terran uniform and interested to see more of this Mirror universe in future weeks. The Ash as Voq stuff seems pretty obvious now, so I wonder if they'll throw a curveball at us. 8/10.

16. keoluperalto

keoluperalto Communications Officer Premium Member

...the registry shouldn't make a difference whether numerically higher I suppose. According to the database, the Constitution-class laid down its first keel in the early 2240's...ish. So you'd figure that the USS Discovery for all intents is advanced for it's class. Maybe not as tactically advanced as the Constitution from a ship-of-the-line perspective.

17. keoluperalto

USS Defiant NCC 1764: I'm curious as to those spear-like appendages at the sharply angled middle section of the nacelle pylons. As depicted on the data screen in the episode. You think maybe alterations made within the Mirror Universe?
    I was thinking maybe the writers were incorporating elements from 'Mirror Enterprise' when the Defiant was stolen by the mirror Tholians in 2161 & was said to later be used by then "Empress Hoshi"...maybe grasping at straws but that might actually be a nice tie-in.

18. keoluperalto

...but then again if that was the case, then the USS Defiant would've been a hundred years old by Discovery standards. Paradoxical. Temporal. Timetraveling...standard for Trek. lol
    Also, I think Saru mentioned the ship going missing somewhere outside Klingon space...?

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And the Discovery for which the USS Discovery is likely named the HMS Discovery was involved in such voyages .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Discovery_(1774)

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  20. keoluperalto

...so when Lt. Tyler pulls up database records of the MU, a schematic image of what appears to be the USS Defiant is shown but with slightly obvious modifications, then Commander Saru indicates that particular Defiant was reported as missing somewhere near Klingon space, tie-in with ENT: "In A Mirror Darkly", would basically entail that NCC-1764 has been in the MU for a century giving that universe what would seem a huge tactical advantage.