Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x04 - "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Pure Win!

9.1%
  2. 9

22.4%
  3. 8

22.4%
  4. 7

20.5%
  5. 6

9.7%
  6. 5

5.1%
  7. 4

3.9%
  8. 3

3.3%
  9. 2

2.1%
  10. 1 - Boy did that suck!

1.5%
  1. Antonovus

Antonovus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So forget the warp drive. How about we power the ship with a giant monster that talks to mushrooms? I love it.

2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You do realise that Star Trek has been 'pushing social agendas' as you call it since it's inception, right? First interracial kiss ever on tv between Kirk and Uhura for example, or did you have a problem with that as well? Whilst I'm assuming the 'save the whales' comment was about the tardigrade, you do know that there was an entire movie about saving whales, right? Heaven forbid you see a woman being tough and man showing emotion, because Star Trek has never ever done that before

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, spore travel is based on a real scientific concept: https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-star-trek-apos-moves-222800182.html
    While it's tenuous at best, it's right up there with warp drive, transporters, and everything other brand of pseudo-scientific handwavium.

Shelby, Data, Crusher, Worf board a Borg ship to find Captain Picard.
    Ship's highest ranking officers and department heads routinely beaming down to a hostile planet.

This is not new in Star Trek.

Social agendas? Oh well, your presence will be sorely missed.

JoeP, SolarisOne, Biggs and 3 others like this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So it's Star Trek? ;)

The difference is now we don't have to "be better" in under an hour and start from 0 a week later.

Reboot.

I think it's been said in more than one episode this is a ship of mostly scientists, doing science stuff. Very few of whom have been portrayed as wanting to wipe out anyone.

Or kick the Klingon in the face and into a disintegrating planet.

I specifically said TNG. TUC was a nice return to the TOS types, which was pretty much ignored in TNG+

As I said, they've been dumb since TNG got a hold of them.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not how it works.

6. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So how exactly did the crew get off the Shenzen?

Because I can't think of a way that would have left both the Shenzen and Klingon ship intact...

7. Nerys Myk

Escape pods?

8. Fateor

They would have scuttled the ship if they had left in escape pods so the Klingons couldn't recover any tactical information from the vessels databases and technology.

9. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

It was just "Meh", I actually thought last weeks ep was better. I still like Lorca and Saru, The SFX were great, (Am I the only one who hated that part of the Discovery's saucer spins around as part of the "Spore Drive"? It makes the ship look like a toy. I get the feeling that Burnham is going to free the creature within the next couple of episodes, I'm guessing from what I heard (I missed some of the dialog) the creature (or "Ripper") was just flying around through space like that buffalo thing on Avatar: The Last Airbender, and got onto the Glenn? there are just so many things that don't make sense that this Ep. introduced. Also, I'm not too sure about next week either, looks like Harry Mudd is gonna be reimagined as Jared Leto's Joker.

Tesophius likes this.
  10. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

The scene immediately before the trial scene at the end of Episode 2 shows the escape pods leaving the U.S.S. Shenzhou. So there is on-screen proof that they left in escape pods.

Biggs likes this.
  11. Nerys Myk

Maybe. Depends on the time frame. Was there any "tactical" information found? All Voq seemed to be after was technology and not of the IT variety. Shenzhou was an old ship. I doubt it contained much of value in the tactical area.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The story of a decent Klingon guy trying to bring the fight to the terrible people serving in the Federation.

13. Fateor

Unless you have perfect information on the enemy you have no idea what might given them a tactical advantage.

Hence they would have scuttled the ship.

Of course this is the same show where a security chief just killed herself by refusing to turn her head six inches check and the biosign monitor to see if the creature was actually asleep.

14. Nerys Myk

Like Picard did with the Stargazer? :lol:

JoeP, NOVE9, Feron and 5 others like this.
  15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Set in the same universe where, 10 years later, Captains and First Officers routinely beamed down to hostile planets, and where red shirts were almost always murdered before the opening credits. Your point?

16. Apparition B5

Apparition B5 Commander Red Shirt

I give the episode a seven. It would have been a nine, but the suicide of Commander Landry was really stupid.

17. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right Wing Star Trek fans doesn't make much sense to me. It's like saying liberal Infowars fan.

lawman, JoeP, SolarisOne and 6 others like this.
  18. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess they figured the ship(s) that were 84 hours away at the beginning could render aid, and since the Discovery is probably top secret, it was probably better to not let anyone else know about it.

19. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's because Lorca is approaching crazytown levels of militarism.

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

am i the only one who thought the Bird of preys look like the Death gliders from Stargate SG-1?

Mad Jack Wolfe, Psion and cultcross like this.