Should there be a "Temporal Cold War"-angle to SNW?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Rahul, Jun 17, 2022.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the joke... ;)

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  2. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

Got it. I'm off to get more coffee. :lol:

fireproof78 likes this.
  3. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Truly, there are no people that hate Star Trek more than Star Trek fans* :guffaw:

*also applies to Star Wars

4. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

I don't even want to know what demented contortions of logic you went through to take my assertion that a particular plot device for one show was a failure and twist it into my hating an entire sci-fi franchise. Truly, a stupefying feat of twisting words that weren't even there.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nobody can. Doctor Who spoke in tantalising detail about their time war, then when we see it, it's just a pewpew battle. It would cost blockbuster money and need a LOT of thought to make anything meaningful. A temporal war would be an epic clusterfuck, agents constantly respawning from alternate timelines and attacking, each attack causing new timelines where counterattacks originate... how do you tell a story in such chaos, much less one with any meaning? It would be the Rick and Morty Asimov Cascade only 1000x more insane.

Hence, us getting bizarro side stories in pocket universes where alien Nazis invade the White House, or Archer spends a day in a post-apocalyptic version of Earth because his handler accidentally erased the future.

Jack Wolfe, Timofnine and Lord Garth like this.
  6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Even after having only seen seven episodes, I can already tell that the Temporal War just doesn't fit SNW. "But how do you know?" I just know. Long, convoluted, and messy isn't what SNW does. Short, straight-forward, and neat is what it does.

Not only that, but the only reason the Temporal Cold War was even in ENT was because UPN didn't have total faith in the prequel premise. Whereas I think Paramount+ has total faith in the premise and setting of SNW. The two situations couldn't be more different. Most importantly: SNW wants to evoke TOS, not ENT.

Each of these shows are different in their own way. And once you know the show, you know what it will and won't do.

7. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I’m a bit worried about how many spin offs Star Trek might need at the moment. Rather than a ‘Temporal War’ could we not have a ‘Temporal Cold War’ instead? It could be a story told in an ‘anthology’ series perhaps that all have a discreet link but all lead up to a movie! I would love to find out who ‘Future Guy’ is after all of these years.

But Seven of Nine still needs a spin off of her own so I don’t want to promote a fan campaign for something that would thwart any chances of this happening…

8. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Sorry about my double post and I should have remembered the episode ‘Shattered’ but look what I found in my collection!
    5F7D47A3-45DF-4A23-9CE6-65CB222E5624.jpeg
    I would need to level her up a bit though for this mission.

But this can not happen in my head canon as she needs to be the Captain of the Enterprise. :(

publiusr likes this.
  9. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Just because posters are crapping all over your suggestion doesn't mean they hate Star Trek. They just think your suggestion sucks, which it does.

captainmkb and Jack Wolfe like this.
  10. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

I hate this show so much that I keep watching it every week and giving episodes high marks because.....that's what you do when you hate something. :guffaw:

Greg Cox, fireproof78 and Jack Wolfe like this.
  11. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah i had enough of the cold war. The storyline went nowhwere the first time

captainmkb likes this.
  12. fireproof78

Exactly.

Jack Wolfe and captainmkb like this.
  13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I hate to jump on the bandwagon and everything, but I'd rather jump naked into a pool filled with broken glass and rusty fishhooks than ever see the Temporal Cold War return to Trek again except as a brief reference to a historical event, like they did in DSC.

Poorly conceived, under-planned, terribly executed, badly written, a hot mess of inconsistent, contradictory and convoluted ideas that often went nowhere or made no sense, they rivaled the now notorious JJ Abrams "mystery box" of mediocrity in sucking you down a rabbit hole that has no meaningful end in sight.

Time travel on its own is hard to keep consistent even in a single episode, so making it a dominant feature of a season or entire series is just begging for trouble unless you go the Doctor Who route and throw continuity to the wind and just have wild, inconsistent fun with it. But that is not something Trek fans at large would seem to tolerate for this franchise.

Jack Wolfe, Pubert and captainmkb like this.
  14. Pubert

Exactly. Plus we had a whole season of Picard time travel. Enough is enough. Anyway Kirks enterprise is also the first to time travel. I hope they keep it at that and we get no time travel at all.

15. fireproof78

Yes, please.

Pubert likes this.
  16. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

My recollection is that the suits at Paramount insisted that Ent have some kind of time travel element because the concept had been a ratings winner in the preceding spins.

I don’t want any parts of the TCW in SNW, and I LOVED Ent. BTW, I don’t see any of those “problems,” as problems ar all.

The standard reply to this complaint; “it’s about the journey, not the destination.”

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    ichab and Jack Wolfe like this.
  17. Locutus of Bored

Are we not counting the NX-01 Enterprise in this?

18. Pubert

I believe only archer time traveled via daniels. So that doesnt count.

19. Locutus of Bored

and Stormfront 1 & 2, the whole ship time traveled.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Seeing Daniels and the DTI aboard the Relativity travel to other timelines might be a hoot.