Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Part 2 or more likely 3.

Jedman67 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Especially as he's present in the new Behind the Scenes that just came out.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of behind the scenes:

JRob94 likes this.
  4. JRob94

JRob94 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I absolutely LOVE David’s new outfit! Probably more than his original :adore: I definitely want to wear it to a con in the future

Jedman67 likes this.
  5. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I'm believing now that Chibnall was the Fred Freiberger of Dr Who, except that the show survived long enough to be saved...

N-121973 and Haggis and tatties like this.
  6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Means nothing. Never does.

Skywalker, Pindar and The Wormhole like this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Besides, RTD's actual phrasing is that no spin-offs are "imminent." Which means something completely different than "not in development." The only thing he did categorically deny is happening is the rumored UNIT spin-off.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not sure what Davies has to do with it?

At the end of the day, the BBC were the rights holder and they were the ones who okayed the mouse to be come involved.

And I guess it comes down to whether the residuals made up for smaller up front payments.

On the other hand, breaking the payments up would have reduced the amount lost to tax.

ATimson likes this.
  10. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

You're free to think what you want, of course, but I don't think it's an apt comparison.

First, the ratings slide happened during the Moffat/Capaldi era.

Second, unlike Freiberger on either Star Trek or Space: 1999, Chibnall was frequently active in the franchise before he took over the show. RTD had him write for the main show and gave him Torchwood. If your response is that you don't think much of his Torchwood work, well, it was after that that Moffat had him write a few episodes in the Matt Smith era. They don't seem to think he's so awful.

Covid trashed a lot of Chibnall's plans for Flux and afterwards. Yeah, that part of his run is a mess. The extent to which Chibnall is at fault for trying to get a shortened version of a complex story under difficult circumstances can be debated. But that it got done is no small feat. I think the Chibnall/Whittaker years will be viewed more positively as time goes by. It's happened with plenty of other eras of the show.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If viewed at all. ;)

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

True but RTD and Bad Wolf seem to have huge sway on things to do with the relationship, he had his whole list of demands after all.

Residuals did make for a smaller up front payment, and sometimes that could be a negative on some shows, but not Who given it's constantly on streaming services and hugely popular. You can see why the UK union wasn't happy because this is going to cost writers an ongoing revenue stream.

13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Freiberger's two noteworthy shows would otherwise have been axed outright. We know Trek's fan mail campaign, but S1999 was pretty much done already, it was Fred's inclusion that got it greenlit at all. So there'd be no new season, or a new season that nobody knew how they would be at the time. I might argue that season 2 finally found its way, but it was too late - too many episodes were too different and badly written (the Luton one is atrociously bad...) In hindsight, as debatably bad or as definitely different as Space 1999 season 2 and TOS season 3 are, both still have some solid or even great episodes to go with the crap ones. I'm glad they exist. And Chibnall's era wasn't all crap either... /2c

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, Chibnall's Silurian two-parter represents the only episodes of season five that I can't see myself ever revisiting, and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three are utterly insipid beyond reason, so ... yeah, I don't think much of his output, and I think his tenure running Doctor Who was largely dreck outside of a few--depressingly sparse--standouts. It's a shame that an actress of Jodie Whittaker's caliber was essentially wasted under his reign.

And, of course, there's everything Broadchurch after the first season, which ranged from bad at best to horrifyingly awful at worst.

So, I'm not going to shed a tear that Chibnall-written episodes won't be on my television anytime soon.

15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

As if that wasn't enough, they then follow that up with another woman Doctor who (IMO) has more personality, has a more Doctor-ish command of situations, a better outfit, and a cooler TARDIS!

I like Whittaker a lot, but I don't she was served well.

16. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Chef!Doctor was really a case of ‘look at what you could have won!’

Mr Awe likes this.
  17. Mr Awe

That's an interesting idea and could well be right. But, if they're getting those actors back in DW, I'd rather see them playing the Doctor!

Another related possibility would be the older classic series actors (Colin B., Davison, McCoy) and having them back but not as Doctors. Would explain their visual differences yet still have them in the show.

18. Mr Awe

I would hope that if they had to cut him completely that they'd announce that publicly. That might be unusual but so many of us are looking forward to his appearance that it would be quite shocking if by the end of the third one he just never showed up.

I feel confident that they have enough footage to at least show him meeting the Doctor again if not everything they had in mind. But we'll see.

19. Mr Awe

20. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it may have more to do with how Unearthly Child has panned out than anything current. Making it all work for hire Cusick style rather than any kind of residual rights issue.