It's Offical: Doctor Who returns 25th November with "The Star Beast"

I could see the logic back in the day when stuff came out in the US way before it did in the UK. To this day I have to constantly remind myself that Die Hard is a film that came out in summer 1988 because it didn't hit UK cinemas until February 1989!

Once release dates became more aligned any logic went out the window.
Ah, for six months gaps till we got dodgy prints.

It was the reverse for me when I got into Merlin last year. The difference between the DVD set was in the hundreds. It was far cheaper to buy an all-regions DVD player and get the set from the UK than it was to get the North American DVD set.

Bonus is that if I ever find an affordable set for Tenko and Bangkok Hilton, I'll have something to play them on.
Not to gloat, but have a box set of Tenko.

I could see the logic back in the day when stuff came out in the US way before it did in the UK. To this day I have to constantly remind myself that Die Hard is a film that came out in summer 1988 because it didn't hit UK cinemas until February 1989!

Once release dates became more aligned any logic went out the window.
It used to be that US prints then went to Europe. Digital ends the delay.

Not to gloat, but have a box set of Tenko.
:(

It used to be that US prints then went to Europe. Digital ends the delay.
Unless you happen to be in Canada, eagerly awaiting The Handmaid's Tale. Season 1 was delayed for 10 DAYS between the episodes being available on Hulu and being available on Bravo/CTV Drama in Canada.

Considering that the series is based on a Canadian novel by a Canadian author, is shot in Toronto (a Canadian city), with some episodes directed by Canadian directors, and Margaret Atwood had a cameo in the first episode (she played an Aunt)... making us wait 10 days is something that still annoys the hell out of me. It made it impossible to have any meaningful conversations with fans from the U.S. as we were so far behind.

The delay has gradually been less over the years, but I still have to avoid the threads here until I've seen the episode since some posters have no respect for the spoiler rules.

This Doctor Who anniversary special had better be exceptionally good. It's the only reason I haven't canceled the science fiction channel (there's more action movies on it now than actual science fiction), and it's an extra charge on the telecom bill.

An oddity was that I saw The Voyage Home (Star Trek IV). A French print (with English language). Apparently Trek 3 wasn't released in France so The Voyage Home downplayed the number.

An oddity was that I saw The Voyage Home (Star Trek IV). A French print (with English language). Apparently Trek 3 wasn't released in France so The Voyage Home downplayed the number.
I’m reminded of Mel Brooks’ joke about his plans for a Spaceballs sequel - he would’ve called it Spaceballs 3: The Search for Spaceballs 2.

Unless you happen to be in Canada, eagerly awaiting The Handmaid's Tale. Season 1 was delayed for 10 DAYS between the episodes being available on Hulu and being available on Bravo/CTV Drama in Canada.

Considering that the series is based on a Canadian novel by a Canadian author, is shot in Toronto (a Canadian city), with some episodes directed by Canadian directors, and Margaret Atwood had a cameo in the first episode (she played an Aunt)... making us wait 10 days is something that still annoys the hell out of me. It made it impossible to have any meaningful conversations with fans from the U.S. as we were so far behind.

Speaking of Canadian made shows, I remember when Stargate Atlantis was airing on some premium cable channel I don’t remember the name of in Canada, (I think this was only in the early seasons), they wouldn’t take a break in December like other stations would, so Canada would end up being several episodes ahead of the USA.

The only channel I can think of that it would have been on was the Space Channel (now called CTV Sci-fi). That one costs extra. I think it still shows Stargate at some ridiculous hour like 4 am or so.

I've never actually watched Stargate Atlantis.

The only channel I can think of that it would have been on was the Space Channel (now called CTV Sci-fi).
It definitely wasn't Space/CTV Sci Fi. Because of the deal the other channel (I too can't remember what it was called, but it was a pay-per-view channel) Space wasn't allowed to air Stargate Atlantis seasons until two years after they originally aired. Which was a really shitty deal for them, as the seasons were usually available on DVD by that point.

Ah, okay. Crave has never been on my personal radar, so I've no idea what it's about.

The original Stargate movie is on tonight on PBS, but I opted not to bother with it.

Back