Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

He's also there in the first four seconds of the clip.

My guess is that the BBC doesn’t have the rights outright to the 1996 TV movie and so they can’t show any clips from it.

I’m probably wrong but if I am right it would explain it.

The TV Movie is actually available on i-player, so rights don't hold that up

This could better explain the renumbering of the series, all and all. And the more I think about it, the more I like it. But, we'll see.
The genius of such a move -- if true -- is that it effectively lets the RTD II era begin (leaving the specials as their own thing) the way the RTD I era began, in media res, with a blank slate that anyone can get onboard with. It's as genuinely a fresh start as 2005 was.

Welp, I think it's fair to say the BBC publicity machine is cranking up fast, and my excitement levels with it, even though I swore I'd keep my calm, not get carried away.

Damn you, Russell.

PS. Happy Doctor Who Day. 60 years of time and space, and counting.

The genius of such a move -- if true -- is that it effectively lets the RTD II era begin (leaving the specials as their own thing) the way the RTD I era began, in media res, with a blank slate that anyone can get onboard with. It's as genuinely a fresh start as 2005 was.
The way I see it, the specials could and should "belong" in a 2005-2023 era, whereas the Ncuti Gatwa era is gonna start ala Ninth Doctor in series 1.

Of course, this does mean that the Fourteenth Doctor will likely never regenerate on-screen, unless they pull one under us. Big Finish will be so pleased. So, so much work for Tennant and Gatwa in their near futures.

It makes sense from the Disney's POV They haven't done anything to promote the Specials, presumably because they're a sequel to stories from 15 years ago that they don't have the rights to. So doing it this way they can start with a clean slate rather than picking up where the previous episode ended.

It makes sense from the Disney's POV They haven't done anything to promote the Specials, presumably because they're a sequel to stories from 15 years ago that they don't have the rights to. So doing it this way they can start with a clean slate rather than picking up where the previous episode ended.

Disney DOES have the rights to ALL Doctor Who (1963-present)

Disney DOES have the rights to ALL Doctor Who (1963-present)

No, they don't.

Their licensing deal with the BBC only encompasses newly produced content beginning with the 60th Anniversary Specials.

All Modern Who from Series 1-13 remains licensed to Warner Bros. Discovery and MAX, and almost all of Classic Who is available only via Britbox, the BBC iPlayer, and on Tubi.

Spoilers for the new edition of Russel's Rose novelization

An illustration for two brand new diverse incarnations...including a disabled Doctor!

F_tBAhyXoAElK6_

Super far future incarnations? Timeless Children incarnations? What's the context? They're cool though.

Super far future incarnations? Timeless Children incarnations? What's the context? They're cool though.

Originally they were future I believe, but the illustrations are basically positing them as alternates — that’s the seventies/eighties UNIT after all, with the Skin from Skunk Anansi Doctor.
We have actually had disabled Doctors, Capaldi was blind, Hartnell had mobility issues.

So large pinch of salt time but the Mirror has reported that a Sea Devils spin-off is coming next year; which doesn't make any sense as a concept but it may just be a misunderstanding rather than total fiction on their part.

There's long been rumours of a villain related anthology series and it turns out Bad Wolf have registered a Production Company for something called "The War Between" which doesn't match up with any of their announced non-DW series. So "The War Between the Sear Devils", "The War Between the Sontarans", "The War Between the Bandrils" etc.

Or could be a big pile of nothing at all!

So large pinch of salt time but the Mirror has reported that a Sea Devils spin-off is coming next year; which doesn't make any sense as a concept but it may just be a misunderstanding rather than total fiction on their part.

There's long been rumours of a villain related anthology series and it turns out Bad Wolf have registered a Production Company for something called "The War Between" which doesn't match up with any of their announced non-DW series. So "The War Between the Sear Devils", "The War Between the Sontarans", "The War Between the Bandrils" etc.

Or could be a big pile of nothing at all!

RTD has already said on record and in print that there are no spinoffs currently in development.

Back