Raffi's poverty

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by GMDreia, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Sure...

2. Swedish Borg

Art doesn't talk. It's not a person.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You're trying way too hard.

Mister Spock likes this.
  4. Swedish Borg

So are you.

5. Nerys Myk

By using an easy to understand, common place phrase?

Mister Spock likes this.
  6. Swedish Borg

Aren't you getting a little off course here?

7. Nerys Myk

No, the markers are quite clear.

Jack Wolfe and BillJ like this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only person off-course here is you with your gatekeeping.

9. Swedish Borg

Whatever you say.

10. Swedish Borg

Come again?

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Art is many, many things to many, many people.

Drawing is art.
    Painting is art.
    Music is art.
    Photography is art.
    Graphic design is art.
    Computer programming is art.
    Singing is art.
    Cooking is art.
    Architecture is art.
    Tuning your car just so is art.

As are many other things that are creative outlets for people. That is what art is, creative expression.

There have likely been hundreds of millions of pieces of art created in the last 24 hours on this planet. The vast majority will only ever be experienced by the creator or a small group of the creators acquaintances.

As far as Picard goes, I understood how he felt. If my house was to burn down tomorrow, my mind wouldn't be on the fancy stuff I own but a picture of Kirk, Spock and McCoy that my son drew for me for my birthday that is framed in my living room and a photobook my wife made me for Christmas, a collection of pictures of us through the years.

This shows me you really don't understand art, at all.

12. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

what would picasso say about single-color paintings and fat corners?

i don't know how anyone can take you seriously anymore XD

dupersuper and BillJ like this.
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Art is art if someone who gets it says it is. Art does "speak" to its audience even if not everyone understands that philosophy.

14. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:brickwall:

15. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think this would have been a issue if she hadn't mentioned Picard's big manson. It really boils down to one line. I think the writers were trying to make her seem poor but also understood you can only go so far because what has already been established in Trek.

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    24th century tech would allow an individual to live in a far wider set of environments than we do, today. Also, with a replicator, transporter tech, and computer services of the time you really don't need to be near to anyone except when you want to be. House like Raffi's in a remote valley of the Himalayas? Easy for that kind of tech. I guess the complaints about poverty come from not being able to appreciate a place like Raffi's.

Something from TOS that was notable were all the really small populations in the colonies. It could just be the tech has created a culture of preference for personal/small society solitude since you don't need the tens of thousands needed for our heavy industry tech society and support handling the needed drudgery to keep it going. Everyone can live in a small quiet village. Raffi isn't living in poverty, she's living in a way possible when technology has removed the need for the massive support system of drudge work our population needs today to survive.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    lawman and BillJ like this.
  17. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, like Nog was at the academy, but I'm guessing regularly went to Sisko's dad's restaurant in New Orleans for dinner. and then back at night to sleep. Or how they showed in Picard the " Transporter Portals" at starfleet command.
    Probably still have to walk to a transporter terminal to get places, regular citizens can't just tap a badge and transport anywhere. Look how Picard got to Raffi's house.. By Taxi. So Raffi is probably well away from any Terminals.

Now there is probably a transporter Satellite network for people like Starfleet to transport anywhere on the planet at any time.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

They established as much. Joseph Sisko was the only person on the planet who could obtain live Tube Grubs.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  19. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Why walk when there are all sorts of microtransport systems to be used. Present day Seoul is crawling with motorized skateboard contraptions, bicycles and other microtoys an app lets you pay to use, drive the thing where ever and leave it where anyone else can pick it up and trundle on. Only a small matter to make the things further computerized so you can have one drive to you in Trek style tech. The show is hopelessly behind the curve on what is possible with technology.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's kind of problematic though. Sisko said he used up his transporter credits in his first month at the Academy because he was frequently beaming back to New Orleans for dinner, yet Nog kept it up enough that he was on a first name basis with Joe Sisko and his staff, but apparently did not expend his transporter credits.