News Picard show to stream on Amazon Prime (outside US/Canada)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by caliginous, May 13, 2019.

1. caliginous

caliginous Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Trek, but not enough to pay for Netflix and Amazon.:shrug:

If it looks amazing, I'll sub and binge the season at the end.

Seven of Five, 777 and Philip Guyott like this.
  3. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Premium Member

I already pay for both (although mainly paying for Amazon for Prime delivery, video service is just a bonus from my POV). Can't imagine everyone wanting to do this though. This doesn't seem like a great strategy, I foresee a lot of people flip/flopping their subscriptions to watch alternate series.

Butters likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:lol:

Not sure fragmentation is the best strategy for Trek.

5. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I already have both services but I don't think that this is a good idea.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

And when I said it could be on Prime everyone said "oh no don't be silly".

Neumann, Tim Thomason and BillJ like this.
  7. Ruufio

Ruufio Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Not overly joyed by this announcement, as I've not long cancelled prime. But as I love Star Trek I'll re-new once the series is released.

8. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Seems a silly idea to me; back one horse.
    I happen to subscribe to both as I use prime delivery, but this splitting of shows across multiple streaming platforms (of which CBS All Access is a good example actually) is becoming annoying. We're going to end up paying for so many services to have a decent chance of seeing what we want it'll end up more expensive than Sky/cable.

777 and BillJ like this.
  9. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was a bit surprised by this. I can only assume it is because amazon offered them a deal they couldn't refuse. I also don't like that this is going to fuel the "trek conspiracy" group.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

What conspiracy ? This show was always up to the highest bidder - they said this last year.

Qonundrum, Neumann, serabine and 2 others like this.
  11. cultcross

That won't matter, it will be "Netflix passed on this because Discovery is a failure"

pst, Ovation and SpocksOddSocks like this.
  12. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. I'm sure the usual suspects are already working on youtube videos with exactly that headline.

I think it is more that amazon is wanting to really expand the prime offerings (just look at some of the things they are have coming down the pipe - LOTR, WoT, Expanse, etc) and were willing to outbid netflix to get Picard on board. That is a big deal and will help them. Does make me wonder if netflix may have lowballed thinking that since they had DSC it was a given they'd get Picard.

It does though suck for people overseas who won't get DSC and Picard on the same streaming service.

13. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've already seen that on Twitter.

14. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fuck. That.
    I already watch Netflix. I'm not going to subsribe to another streaming service just for "Star Trek". There were days I probably would have. Not anymore.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would protest as well, but I already subscribe to All-Access for Trek. :rofl:

Seven of Five, Rahul and urbandk like this.
  16. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't afford both and I really hate Amazon Prime in the UK for content - not going to subscribe just for one show. I did a free trial once before and could not find anything worth watching. I might see if a free trial is available once all the episodes have been released.

17. cultcross

In fairness, Amazon Prime in the UK has got a lot better over the last 9 months or so. I used to think as you did, it was just a bonus on top of my delivery service which I rarely watched anything on. But they've expanded significantly.

lurok and Philip Guyott like this.
  18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

So all the people that were making fun of CBS All Access outside of North America now have a decision to make. Prime is way too expensive unless you're utilizing the 2 day shipping a lot.

Nyotarules likes this.
  19. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

I guess CBS is going with the DC IP model of selling their IP to the highest bidder whoever that happens to be. Just this year, in order to watch all the DC stuff I like I have (or will have) to go to: CW, AMC, NBC, DC Universe, EPIX, HBO, Netflix and Amazon.

I do think its weird that people seem to imagine that getting and then cancelling a streaming service after a month or two is anything remotely as onerous as doing the same thing with cable, because it just isn't.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    seigezunt, serabine and Kzinti like this.
  20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Food for thought: CBS plan to launch All-Access worldwide eventually. Thus it's not in their best interests to build up one competitor too strongly.

We'll all be "so happy" when Trek eventually comes under one roof when CBS-AA goes global. Don't be too surprised if each Trek show is on a seperate service globally.

serabine and Philip Guyott like this.