Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

And the show is a shoe in for renewal, the ratings are fantastic for it's timeslot and NBC.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last night was heavy brita ep which was good.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We say that Abed is imagining in his imaginarium.

But what he's really doing is meditating.

If he is becoming one with t he universe how much harder does he have to mediate before he becomes one with all the universes?

or at least all the universes where that indigenous Abed is meditating as well as he is.

Did you see Jack meditating in 30 Rock yesterday.

Hilarious. :)

Think less of me.

Oh you can't think less of me?

My bad.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Odds are that every single alternate timeline we saw in "Remedial Chaos Theory" were just figments of Abed's imagination and what HE thought would happen if the chosen person left to get the pizza. It was his mind thinking of "What would our lives be like without this person" in general rather than the specific moment of getting pizza.

So the "Evil Timeline" is just another figment of his imagination (which is why HE felt something odd when "Evil Abed" was born) and continues to exist in his subconscious.

The "Evil" timeline was caused by Troy leaving the group (Troy's influence on their lives being removed), and so when there's a wedge going between Abed and Troy Abed begins to hallucinate Evil Abed.

5. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Excellent analysis! Best I've read yet.

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Meditate perfectly."

Yeah, I think Abed really could meditate perfectly or maybe he is already meditating perfectly. Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

8. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Simple. Recast the role with Bill Murray. Nobody but Abed notices.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Murray will never do TV, but that would be good for a laugh or two. Akroyd probably will, though.

But, miss the chance to give the character an epic death?

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have been wondering about this since the last season's finale if something was going on behind the scenes between the two. It seems to me like Pierce is slowly being written out of the show, maybe it will be resolved or Chevy will leave after this season.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Eh, I wouldn't miss Pierce if he were written out. He's the weakest link in the cast, IMO.

12. Admiral_Young

He is now...it still would be kind of ironic if he left, since NBC first started marketing "Community" as the new Chevy Chase show. As I might've mentioned at the start of the thread, this is actually how I first knew about it. It has evolved beyond him now frankly and become it's own unique entity.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

BAM. Called it.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Well, Chase has never done anything else for more than a year.

15. Admiral_Young

^ He's passed that with three seasons of "Community" and seemingly very pleased to be apart of the show as well. Perhaps more details will unfold. This has been a pretty rocky season hasn't it in terms of mediocre episodes for the most part, the controversial long hiatus, the Inspector Space Time debacle, now this.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As someone that liked Pierce back in seasons 1 and 2, I feel like his character doesn't have a purpose on the show anymore. His character was defined early on as someone that's so obnoxious and offensive that he ends up pushing all his friends away, and that's what happened in season 2 when he became something of a villain. His arc came to a conclusion at the end of season 2 when he left the study group, but rather than leaving it there they neutered the character so that the status quo could be maintained. I think it would have made more sense if Chang replaced Pierce in the study group and Pierce became the new external force that resented/idealised the group. But if he's to leave the show instead, so be it, he's not much of a loss anymore.

17. Admiral_Young

18. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I think that the character of Pierce has run its course, but I don't like the idea of the character having to leave because of this.

No matter who started it, I can't support Dan Harmon's actions at the wrap party. If you've got a problem with someone, the time to make a big deal about it is not in the middle of a party. That's something we all should grow out of by the tie we're 12.

Not saying that walking off the set is a good idea either, but at this point the scales of Right vs. Wrong (granted, I don't know the absolute full story) the "Right" Scales lean in Chevy's direction.

The thing that I wonder about is: would losing Chevy Chase actually increase the shows chances of returning for another season? Studios and networks love to save money and with Jim Rash having been made a full cast member this year and Ken Jeong being aboard, I could see them saying sayonara to Pierce and giving material intended for him to Chang.

19. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Yeah, pretty much everybody I've mentioned Community to just says, "Oh, that's the one with Chevy Chase, right? Can't stand him."

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Chevy's recent interview suggests that he a) doesn't understand the humor of the show, b) thinks the show is just another sit-com, c) would prefer that the show had less writing and more improv (often arguing about it with the show-runners), and d) thinks most of the cast are sub-par at best.

Yeah, I'm not seeing much of a loss here.