On Tuesday, which version of ST:XI will you buy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by B.C., Nov 13, 2009.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got it at Midnight at Walmart, the 3 Disc Blu Ray Special Edition for $19.96. :D
    I have watched it once already and will be repeatedly watching it again! :D

J.

2. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By a quotient so insignificant that it barely is noticeable. And yes, I'm decked out with everything I need to take advantage of BR's "far superior image quality". I've done the side by side comparisons, with the DVD in the DVD player and the Blu-Ray in the BluRay player. Yes, the picture is better on BluRay, but not really by much. Definitely doesn't deserve the "BLURAY!!! WOW!!!" reputation it has gotten.

Seriously, I'll stop buying DVDs when something that is actually far different/better than the current DVD format comes out.

3. Amaris

I disagree. Plus, Blu-ray discs are superior in data storage compared to DVDs. The price of Blu-ray players is plummeting, and the price of Blu-ray discs are also dropping rapidly. While DVD will still be around, Blu-ray is a worthy successor.

Oh, and I remember when DVD replaced VHS, there were people ardently defending the VHS format, that the difference between VHS and DVD was negligible, so it all comes down to what you really want.

From an audio/video/content/storage perspective, Blu-ray is superior.

J.

4. Tara

Tara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, that's not quite true. A single-layer DVD can hold 4.4 GB of data. A single-layer Blu-Ray disc can hold 50 GB of data. That's more than 10x the information. I can't really think of that as "insignificant".

5. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, i gave in, i bought two copies. :wtf:

Yeah, the two disc DVD edition, which the cover BTW, looks really cheap and piratey.The sleeve is cool, with Pine on the front split up by the wording, but i was expecting a better sleeve inside, it just has Pine and Quinto poster prints that are not even that clear. And in general, the DVD/BD covers couldve been better designed. Like using the poster art of the Golden Gate bridge with San Fran being attacked, which INMHO, was the best image of the posters (Oh, second best, next to he silouette of the Ent:techman:). I do like the use of the classic type face though, thought they wouldve gone with the movies version of it but hey, its only a case, eh?

And the BD version, 3 disc. Ready for my Blu Ray player next year. so i have something to look forward to.;)

6. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't really talking about the amount of storage per disc. I was talking about the quality of the movie itself. I just don't think the quality diff is significant enough to justify all the hoopla BluRay gets. And it's definitely not worth the price difference between DVD and BluRay.

And I'm not one of those "VHS vs DVD" types either. I actually upgraded buying into all the hype, and have decided to just stick with DVD until it's gone. Maybe if the prices start dropping on BluRay movies, I might make the shift, but until then, the "superior quality" isn't worth the extra bucks.

7. Amaris

It's not worth it to you, and that's okay. However, the quality is still superior and quite noticeable.

J.

8. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

what exactly does the sleve/artwork look like? is it like some recent dics where the cardboard slip has a different picture than the actual dvd case? can someone post pics?

I'm waiting for mine to come from amazon. I ordered the two disc version. I might get the single disc version too cause i think the artwork looks better

9. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The outer sleeve has the type face which, inside the letters, is Pines face. Thats ok, looks pretty neat. But the inside isnt even the standard edition sleeve. Its the two promo teaser posters, the headshots on either side. It just screams cheap. The images are ok, but i expected better for the special edition to be honest.

Havnt got any pics at the moment, i gotta go back to work. :rolleyes:

Maybe someone has more time

10. Amaris

Just to help out, here are some pics of my Special Edition Blu-ray:

Sleeve:
    [​IMG]

DVD Cover:
    [​IMG]

Inside DVD Case:
    [​IMG]

J.

11. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

The covers do look very disappointing. Over the weekend i received TOS movie collection on Blu-ray and the coverwork to that sucked verily. I was very surprised at how no thought at all was put into them. Perhaps the new trend?

12. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    The Target-exclusive version RAWKS!!! The Enterprise snaps together easily and is very nicely detailed. I have to admit, the nuPrise has grown on me, but having it "in hand" really helps you appreciate the design.

13. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just picked up the Target Exclusive Blu-Ray Edition (with the little Enterprise model). I wasn't going to but when I saw it, my inner trekkie kicked in. Neat-o!

I also got the "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" Christmas movie.

14. Yeoman Randi

Just back from Best Buy with my blu-ray copy. I did have the one with the stinkin badges in my hands for a moment or two...but to be honest, i wasn't terribly impressed with them....so i passed on that one and just got the regular ol' blu-ray set.

Hambone....talk about getting your inner trekkie on...i got to Best Buy at about a minute before 10. There were quite a few people waiting to get in....and everyone ran to the Trek display. It was cool!

15. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Just got back from Target and got the 2-disc DVD with Enterprise model. Took only a minute to build (I took the bottom disc out before attaching the dorsal - don't want to scratch the disc!) and put her on my desk here.

She's proudly sitting between my Disney Big Thunder Mountain train and Animal Kingdom Expedition Everest train.

Since I can go home for lunch, she's coming with me so I can start watching this extravaganza!

(I did like Wal Mart's single disc offer though: it's $9.99, and they made issue out of the fact that at that price, you're saving...

$17.01)

EDIT: That looked to have been Wal Mart's pre-order offer, as I don't see that anymore online.

16. Yeoman Randi

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...in this 3 cd blu-ray set, what exactly IS this digital copy?

17. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pimped out Blu Ray w/ Ent mini.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

my amazon exclusive edition should arrive today. woo hoo!

19. B.C.

B.C. Lieutenant Red Shirt

I ended up getting the 3-disc blu-ray edition without the badges. I stood there at midnight trying top talk myself into spending an extra $20 for the badges, but I couldn't do it. I know I'll look at them for a day, then into a drawer they'll go, only to someday be put into a storage box and forgotten about.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a copy of the movie that you can download into a portable device, such as an iPod.