On Tuesday, which version of ST:XI will you buy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by B.C., Nov 13, 2009.

1. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, I'll bite. What is it you feel isn't worth "buying into" about Blu-ray?

2. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Probably the far better picture and sound quality?

3. Tara

Tara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually had to explain last night to a friend why Blu-Ray is "better" because while she's a wicked smart girl, she's not someone who works with multimedia or computers, so she just assumed DVD and Blu-Ray were similar formats.

Basically, because you can store so much more data on Blu-Ray media, that means not only is there more room on the disc for extras (hence there being hours of spcial features not on the 2-disc dvd set), there's simply more room on the disc for high-resolution data for the picture and sound of the movie itself.

It's like the difference between watching a 50 MB file, and a 4 GB file on your PC. A compressed image will always be lossy (i.e. have artefacting, appear blurry, have colours bleed into one another, have noise in the blacks, etc.).

With Blue-Ray, the files are not nearly as compressed as they are on a DVD, in order to fit the film onto 8 GB of space. Less compression = better image.

Now for me, I have a $100 20" television. So realistically? The image quality of a DVD versus Blu-Ray isn't really a selling point for me. Not until I can afford a flat-screen HD television (frankly, financially, my mortgage, food, and books come way before tech toys in the grand scheme of things). But I'm totally in it for the extras. So as soon as I can find a Blu-Ray player that will play all the formats I need (PAL, R2, DivX, etc.) I'm going to upgrade. Because I want more featurettes :)

4. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

For me the PS3 still is the best option for a Blu-Ray player. :)

5. Tara

Alas, I don't play video games.

6. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Neither do I... well, not very often that is. ;)

7. Capt.April

Capt.April Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd like to get the blu-ray edition but what about the digital copy? my macbook is a DVD so how would I get it onto my ipod? Can I pop the blu-ray disk into my regular mac dvd player to extract the file?

8. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Who needs a digital copy anyway?

9. Capt.April

Capt.April Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If I pay for it I wanna be able to use it.. :)

10. strikefalcon

strikefalcon Commodore Commodore

I'm gonna get the 2 disc DVD in enterprise case from Target.

Don't have the moola or the HD equipment yet to get Blu-Ray. Though the starship sims included in the blu-ray version does look crazy cool!

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Walmart now has the same Magnavox Blu-ray player I have, but for $128.
    Not trying to make anyone buy one, but they're cheap enough now that you can hint-hint around for Christmas.

J.

12. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I've had a PS3 for a while now, but I'm by no means a big video gamer. I tend to only play stuff like Rock Band when people come over because it's a fun, social game. Or Wii group games.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

TrekMovie's features list is the same one they've used several times, and it was indeed taken from an official Paramount press release which was cited in full here, back on 17 July.

14. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I usually buy my favourite shows on dvd even if I had downloaded them previously, because I want to listen to the commentaries. That goes for LotR and ST in the film department, Fringe in the tv category, e.g.

It might be nerdy, but what the heck. :p

15. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

I'm gonna try to get the Two Disker from Target on Tuesday, it may not turn out that way, however.

EDIT: Er, uh, I meant the Two Disk DVD.

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've already bought the blu-ray. :bolian:

17. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

Sometimes I hate you dudes in Austrailia

18. Tara

I also usually buy my fave shows on DVD even if I've downloaded them, mainly cos I want to support the series since I'm not a Nielsen family and the only concrete way of standing up and being measured is to plunk down my $30-50 in a shop (and I continue to believe that if The Middleman is a huge massive seller on DVD, ABC family will bring it back someday.).

Tho I admit, a lot of the boxdvd sets I own I end up not rewatching very often afgter that first flush of MUST LISTEN TO ALL COMMENTAREIS NOW NOW NOW which lasts about a week. Then they go on my shelf because I still use the downloaded copies for reference while writing, most of the time.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in England. It's Monday. And the 2-disc DVD is sitting right next to me as i type :)

Watching it tonight!

(from Tesco, £16.71 if anyone wants to know)

20. Etched

Etched Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^It was only £14.99 from Play and it arrived this morning. Would have loved to be able to have the bluray version but, alas, I'm too poor to buy a player.