Discovery ending with Season 5

Define "Mary Sue".

Definition of "Mary Sue":

Per Wikipedia: A Mary Sue is a character archetype in fiction, usually a young woman, who is often portrayed as inexplicably competent across all domains, gifted with unique talents or powers, liked or respected by most other characters, unrealistically free of weaknesses, extremely attractive, innately virtuous, and/or generally lacking meaningful character flaws.[1][2][3][4][5] Usually female and almost always the main character, a Mary Sue is often an author's idealized self-insertion, and may serve as a form of wish-fulfillment. Mary Sue stories are often written by adolescent authors.[6]

Michael Burnham is not "inexplicably" competent -- like every Star Trek protagonist (except Dal from Star Trek: Prodigy), she is a graduate of an extremely prestigious institution of tertiary education (the Vulcan Science Academy for her, Starfleet Academy for all the others), and has already had a long career in Starfleet when the series begins.

Michael is not competent across all domains. She is a competent science officer and pilot, but she is not an engineer or doctor.

Michael is a gifted leader, but she does not have special powers.

Michael starts off resented by most of the other characters and only gradually earns back their respect. Even as a captain, there are characters who have serious problems with her leadership style and choices.

Michael is attractive to the level that most Star Trek characters are attractive; she is not a supermodel or unusually attractive within the world of the show.

Michael is clearly not innately virtuous, given her actions in the series premiere.

Michael has meaningful character flaws throughout the series, including arrogance, aggression stemming from trauma, early difficulty respecting other people's emotions due to her Vulcan upbringing, refusal to acknowledge the limitations of her own power to protect others (another manifestation of arrogance).

In short, Michael meets none of the traits necessary to constitute a Mary Sue... except that she is a female protagonist.

Which is not the case with Michael. She can be a selfish asshole and she made horrible choices that got people killed out of arrogance and trauma.

So it looks like it did get canceled because it wasn't popular. Looks like no more 32nd century after the series ends. I agree with this. Technology is to advanced and makes the story boring.

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2023/03/14/fans-shouldnt-expect-anymore-32nd-century-star-trek/
I think they were desperate to try anything to make the show appealing. What they ended up doing is a bunch of different things, but none of it went well. A Jack of all trades, and a master of none type of deal. .Characters that are invisible, people die and come back, promotions of quirky, undisciplined person, and way, way over representation of women in the military. It just gets too hard to believe, and that's when the show loses you.

So it looks like it did get canceled because it wasn't popular. Looks like no more 32nd century after the series ends. I agree with this. Technology is to advanced and makes the story boring.

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2023/03/14/fans-shouldnt-expect-anymore-32nd-century-star-trek/
That article is speculating.

and way, way over representation of women in the military
The fuck is this nonsense?

It's the 23rd/32nd centuries, there's billions of people out there, and Starfleet is an equal opportunity employer.

Starfleet also isn't a modern military (or not a military at all depending on how you're feeling). You can't judge it based on modern militaries.

Characters that are invisible, people die and come back, promotions of quirky, undisciplined person,

All of which has happened in Star Trek before. Seeing a past host comes from DS9, and Reg Barclay was a quirky undisciplined person who got promoted between TNG and Voyager.

Last edited:
The fuck is this nonsense?
WTF kind of reply is that? I don't see any reason that it would be like that, no matter what century it is.

It's the 23rd/32nd centuries, there's billions of people out there, and Starfleet is an equal opportunity employer.
So is the Marines, and they are under 10%. And really, how many go into combat?

All of which has happened in Star Trek before. Seeing a past host comes from DS9, and Reg Barclay was a quirky undisciplined person who got promoted between TNG and Voyager.
He didn't get very high, and he remained fit for duty.

I think they were desperate to try anything to make the show appealing. What they ended up doing is a bunch of different things, but none of it went well. A Jack of all trades, and a master of none type of deal. .Characters that are invisible, people die and come back, promotions of quirky, undisciplined person, and way, way over representation of women in the military. It just gets too hard to believe, and that's when the show loses you.

Women in Starfleet is where the show lost you. We really haven't come very far since TOS originally aired, have we?

Starfleet Marines is a different branch. Different requirements.
I recently watched the episode where Georgio went went through the Guardian of Forever, back to the mirror universe (one of the most over used things in Star Trek). As I watched it, I realized that there were hardly any men in it. They just over due it to the point that you can't ignore it. Where are all the men, I was wondering? Why are they doing this?

Women in Starfleet is where the show lost you. We really haven't come very far since TOS originally aired, have we?
That's not what I said, there have always been women in Starfleet, and I have absolutely no problem with that.

Back