Consolidated Trailer Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Campe, May 17, 2017.

?

Grade the trailer

1. A+

17.8%
  2. A

16.8%
  3. A-

20.8%
  4. B+

13.7%
  5. B

9.6%
  6. B-

3.6%
  7. C+

2.5%
  8. C

3.6%
  9. C-

3.6%
  10. D+

2.0%
  11. D

1.5%
  12. D-

1.0%
  13. F

3.6%
  1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't bring up Tin Man, that was the worst!

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, no.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope.

[​IMG]

Marketing people do not get to redefine what the word "reboot" means, and neither does anyone else.

4. Mr Awe

If I remember correctly, TOS used an old lighting system (even back in that day), at least in the first season. There are a couple of times where I notice it.

Additionally, film wasn't as good and things needed to be lit really brightly. Today, you don't need so much light and things look much more atmospheric.

5. CorporalCaptain

That's not how language works in either case, so....

6. Mr Awe

That's why it's a reimagining. It's the same timeline but with visual tweaks in order to use current technology and modern design sensibilities to produce the show. It's definitely the same timeline though. They said it is a direct prequel to TOS.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ You're not really using the word "reimagining" correctly in this context.

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

True Fans reacting to STD trailer like

[​IMG]

CRM-114, NOVE9, Gabz and 10 others like this.
  9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

You know why, right? If we started having fun, then people who aren't a part of the group may want to see why we're having fun, and then we won't be the only ones having fun anymore, and all of our inside jokes will no longer get us the stares we all crave from the normies. Don't take away our stares. We need them, they make us feel superior about watching a TV show.

BeatleJWOL and cultcross like this.
  11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

DamarsKanar and Amaris like this.
  12. CorporalCaptain

I was happy on first viewing, but I've been liking the trailer better each time I watch it again.

Vger23 and Michael like this.
  13. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

'True fans'..? I consider myself a true diehard fan, and I LOVE the DSC trailer..!

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

so the uniforms do have department colors, ostensibly

[​IMG]

neat-o!

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  16. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose it's possible. I stared hard at her ears and couldn't tell if I was just imagining a slight Vulcan angle to them (and her eyebrows). I had the thought she might be Vulcan/Half Vulcan, but then I seem to recall press releases and interviews saying she was human. I might be mis-remembering of course.

Additional Note: I also subscribe to the belief that the Klingons we've seen are indeed from the Sarcophagus ship, or some long lost relic. I find that kind of exciting really. Klingon culture has always seemed more interesting in concept than application to me, and if they can do something interesting with ancient Klingon lore, then neat.

CRM-114 likes this.
  17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I think it's because there really is so much to take in, combined with the knowledge that we have a new Star Trek series coming! ♥

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The Klingons look horrendous! Not Blingon bad but getting there.

19. EndeavourCrew

EndeavourCrew Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So couple of things.

1. Looks GREAT!!!!
    2. For those who wonder about Burnham being Vulcan etc and her ears/is she or isn't she Vulcan etc.......
    I will say this- the show has stated it will deal with modern issues among other things.
    You also see a shot of her lying down on what appears to be a medical bed about to scanned/operated on?
    You also see a shot of what appears to be Sarek talking to a young Burnham that looks different than what she grew up to be.

So.........one of the inferences floating out their on the forums is that Burnham is going through some kind of conflict regarding WHO she is and the series will show here dealing with that. Whether that is gender, sexuality or species remains to be seen.........

3. If and I mean IF this show is very successful I think it is possible that this could lead to a new TOS TV series with
    Kirk, Spock and all the rest- especially with the BEYOND sequel being so much in doubt. This would also explain WHY
    they went with a prequel series rather than something else since it would be an easier bridge to bringing a new TOS back to TV. If not, then they greenlight the Beyond sequel and no biggee.......

What say you guys?

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Regarding your second point, I do agree that there is some kind of inner conflict with Burnham, something to do with her identity. I can't wait to see that one explored.
    Your third point is fine, though I believe there will be a fourth Abrams film anyway, as CBS loves to make money, and all three of the new films have made money.