Consolidated Trailer Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Campe, May 17, 2017.

?

Grade the trailer

1. A+

17.8%
  2. A

16.8%
  3. A-

20.8%
  4. B+

13.7%
  5. B

9.6%
  6. B-

3.6%
  7. C+

2.5%
  8. C

3.6%
  9. C-

3.6%
  10. D+

2.0%
  11. D

1.5%
  12. D-

1.0%
  13. F

3.6%
  1. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like seeing 3 minutes of heavily edited footage isn't anywhere near enough to pass judgement on a show. My personal opinion is that if a show interests me even a little, I'll give it a season to let the writers, actors and show find their feet and voice (case in point: Black Sails).

I'm cautiously optimistic about what we've seen so far. It isn't quite what I was expecting, but I've been waiting long enough that I have no problem waiting a little longer to actually find out if it's good.

Good doesn't necessarily mean it's exactly what I want. I can be surprising, unusual, controversial, unexpected. I don't have to be presented with a show and have it be everything I wanted it to be, where's the fun in that? Where the room for an ugly ship to grow on you, or unlikable characters to be killed off in satisfying course correction, or even the joy of watching as the writers find their voice and begin to express themselves?

Vger23 likes this.
  2. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's an extremely Star Trek thing to explore for sure, even when we disregard the obvious parallels to Spock.

Amaris likes this.
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sarek's statement that her tongue is too human literally suggesting the possibility that she's not all human notwithstanding, because I'm not actually giving that much weight,

to me it looks like she's a human raised on Vulcan, who even cuts her hair in a Vulcan style that's adapted to hide her ears.

The trailer is cut to make it look like she was emotionally hurt by Sarek's statement that she could never speak Vulcan.

Oh, and one other thing. The added fact that she is second-in-command opens up the possibility that Burnham's role is a meta-critique of Spock's role on TOS.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I don't see any physical resemblance to a Vulcan, or if it's there is very subtle. To the point of not bothering doing it at all. But perhaps she was raised in Vulcan culture, maybe adopted as a child.

Jedman67 and CorporalCaptain like this.
  5. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked the trailer. The uniforms do look good although I would really prefer stronger colour coding for different roles. I'm intrigued by Sarek's presence and it does seem to be implied that Burnham is half Vulcan to me (I really like unimatrix7's idea of a kind of reverse-Spock model - she fully wants to embrace her human side, fears and dislikes her Vulcan side and struggles to balance the two).

I do have an issue with the lighting. I know, I know, it's not going to be lit like TOS, fair enough. But this ship is lit like a Cardassian space station, not a Federation vessel.

6. dragunzng

2. That's a very good point. It's certainly possible, there's a lot of mystery surrounding Burnham which is pretty exciting. I think it'd be great if Trek explored what it means to be trans (gender/sexuality/species). Perhaps she was born Vulcan and became human? Vice versa?

3. I can't see a new TOS TV series with Kirk, Spock et al. Those characters and that timeline is owned by Paramount, not CBS. I imagine they want to forge distinct timelines. That cast is also far too busy these days for a TV show, even short order.

That said, I honestly believe that one can strengthen the other. I'm not the biggest fan of the Kelvin-verse, but it's finding it's feet, and I'd be down for a movie every two years if we got a nice, slower paced, exploratory treatment on TV each year in the form of DSC.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sincerely hoping it is, because inner conflict is something the original series did very well.

DamarsKanar likes this.
  8. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't expect it to look like a $200 million blockbuster action film, but I'm not a huge fan of the visual effects. Looked a bit video gamey, TBH.

I like that they're going with something new entirely in terms of visuals and makeup design though, and the premise has potential, but that trailer just felt a bit... disjointed... and shallow.

9. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These are just two snippets of dialogue that come one after the other, but they could be seperate dialogue that have just ben cut together for the trailer.
    Christopher Nolan

Jedman67 likes this.
  10. dragunzng

I'd like to just say how remarkably stupid it was of CBS to release a geo-restricted trailer for their return of their 50 year old, globally loved property. I get why they did that from a business POV, but jeez. I wake up, see the trailer, try to share it with my massive Trekkie sister across the world, who can't watch it. So I find another link... and she can't watch that either. In the end I give up, she'll have to track it down for herself, and we can't share a little moment celebrating one of the moments we've been waiting months for.

I sort of agree regarding the effects. They don't look quite as good as say, "The Expanse," but RAMA noted that the effects company has only been working on shots for a month. That seems kind of impossible, but either way, they could definitely improve by the time the show's on the air. I was hoping that Trek would return with the best scifi effects on TV, but these are good enough that they're among the best (if not the most aesthetically pleasing) in the genre (on TV).

Michael likes this.
  11. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's ridiculous. I search for it on YouTube and the top results are from "FilmSelect Trailer" and a three-month old teaser from "Consequence of Sound". I had to go to Netflix's UK & Ireland channel hoping it'd be up (it wasn't), waited a bit longer, then I was told the Netflix trailer is different from the American trailer, and then had to go hunting down the American one.

It's 2017! What are they doing!?

Yeah, that's most likely the case. I kind of assumed they were just unfinished. Even if they're not, they didn't look that bad. I know a lot of people actually thought they looked great. So it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

DamarsKanar likes this.
  12. dragunzng

A fairly well done and level-headed "analysis" of the trailer. A lot of the points raised have been covered here, but it's nice to see them set to visuals.

I have to say I'm getting more excited about the possibility of exploring who these Klingons might be. I dig how utterly aggressive they look, the red-tipped points on their armor, little tips of the hat to culture and history in the production design of their ship, they just look like bad news.

On a possibly related note, I seem to recall Bryan Fuller or someone in production early on saying that a historical event in Trek lore would play a major role in DSC. Now that we've seen a trailer, anyone know what that might be?

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

This trailer looks great. I decided to watch it with thr audio off on my iphone. Small screen and no real spoilers with narration or dialogue.
    I wonder if all of the footage is from the premiere only?
    CBS youtube channel shows 1.5 million views in 12 hours. This let's them know general interest from real fans.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/star-tr...-show-talking-trek-cbs-all-access-1202096297/

Only 5 episodes shot....they are taking their time. This is the darkest cinematography for star trek TV so far. I look forward to all the analysis of the trailer....

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

It's possible that notion departed with Fuller, but if it's still true I couldn't tell from the trailer!

I get the impression the trailer is probably almost all from act one and two of the pilot, and we're really only seeing the initial setup, perhaps before Discovery herself is even on screen.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Even though there's only fifteen episodes this first season, the filming schedule is likely similar to that of a 24+ episode season in order to get that "movie quality" look. That roughly one episode a week filming schedule that previous Trek shows had is a thing of the past.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The whole series is geo-restricted with the rest of the world getting it on Netflix while we're "blessed" with getting it on CBS Digital here in the US. I'm sure there some rights thing explaining why the trailer is so.

17. dragunzng

Oh, I understand why it's being done from a business standpoint, but it follows the letter of the law to the detriment of the fanbase and to the show's marketing. You want as many people as possible to see the first trailer and get interested, then they can figure out how to watch it.

Shalashaska likes this.
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can we get a poll to grade the trailer? :)

19. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Added one. :)

Spider and CorporalCaptain like this.
  20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

dude, this is the internet, everyone who wants to see any given version of the trailer(s) can see them