Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Coulsons' always exhibited less angst over noname deaths than Kirk does over redshirts.

2. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

If it makes you feel any better, Garrett just quickly knocked those guys out, Coulson watched it all happen on a video monitor, grabbed the gun, as he got there a few minutes before the rest of his team and a bunch of medics and walked away to let them take care of the knocked out agents.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. Most of what I liked was mentioned, however I thought they turned the tables at the beginning rather quickly. May just takes the staff and knocks them all out? Super strong or not, if they had guns, they could have taken them out in a second.

The Fitz/Simmons scene was heartfelt. I hope Fitz isn't brain damaged. The Fury rescue scene was a bit corny, but believable.

Was it just me or did Skye actually feel like a SHIELD agent for the first time?

Also, Garrett was stored in the container but wasn't actually carried off. Though the Garrett, Coulson, Fury chat went on longer than it needed to be (IMO), Garrett's death put a smile on my face (and before Garrett's turn, he was my favorite character).

And Koenig has to be an LMD. He took his brother's death rather lightly and the scripted greeting just strengthens that thought.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Or maybe they just didn't bother to show the actual scene of him breaking out of his coffin which has been seen ad neauseum in other shows/movies where the guy suddenly opens his eyes to the tune of some shock music and then lays waste to the room.

Honestly is it too much to ask to put two and two together and figure it out for yourself? Coffin is open, people are laying around dead.. what do you think happened? I don't need to be taken by the hand and shown every little step of the way.. i can connect the dots (sometimes).

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fair enough, just playfully overanalyzing it (overANALyzing it?). When I first watched it I missed the coffin so it was more jarring.

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

My cable sound dropped out, did Fitz tell Simmons he loved her?

Great season finale. Yeah, I think Ward will somehow escape and continue to torment the team. I wonder if we'll be told where Coulson will get funding to rebuild Shield and will thye once again become sanctioned by the US government. I also wonder if the little "mishap" with Talbot might come back to haunt them.

Glad Deathlok wasn't killed. I'm a J. August Richards fan. Kudos to Chloe Bennett. Her scenes over the last several episodes have been a marked improvement over her bland early season work. Not completely bland. Skye was mostly "quirky" but not much else until "Uprising". In the finale, her quick attitude shift from confidently snarky to white hot anger after Garrett "teased" her about Fitz/Simmons' deaths was great, I thought.

Like others, really gonna miss Bill Paxton. I still say I would have gone over to Hydra just to hang out with that dude.

I really like Raina.

Don't anyone take it the wrong way but, how mad are some of you going to be if there are NO Kree EVER in AoS? :D

Gonna be a long hiatus.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Not exactly in those words but yes.

Agreed.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I'm really looking forward to it.

Not just you. That was the most focused and efficient she's been all season, and she pretty much ran the hostage rescue/Big Bad Takedown by herself with an iPhone.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe the conversation was something like this:
    S: I can't leave you, you're my best friend in the world.
    F: Yeah, but you're more than that but I didn't have the courage to tell you.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Who were those agents that Garrett disposed of off-camera anyway? Did Fury bring his own?

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

He didn't tell her the exact words but it was pretty unambigious which makes her reaction kinda awkward. I guess he was deeper in the friendzone than he expected.

As to Coulson rebuilding Shield.. well, we don't know what the Toolbox contains but since Fury assembled it i guess he also took care of initial funding. Shield had the means to build flying aircraft carriers and had thousands of people who worked for them all under the black ops umbrella.. i'm pretty sure that Fury managed to create a special fund that only he and his closest circle were aware of (the same as with these hidden bases the team can now use). Kind of a "rainy day" stash hidden somewhere which may take care of the financial side until Shield gets a good rep again and can apply for official funding.

And yes.. Bennett/Skye has definitely improved especially since she was made an official Shield agent (how shortlived that career might have been). She still not a top notch actress i'm afraid but the character has definitely improved a lot and i don't want to skip her scenes anymore.

As to the current Kree theories.. wouldn't matter if they come up with something different like a totally new alien race. Do they even have the rights to the Kree name given that it's a FF and Avengers enemy? These rights issues between the studios can give one a good headache.

All signs are pointing to it but my personal favorite would be the Inhumans as they have not been introduced in any Marvel movie so far.. would be heck of a cool thing to give the show something unique and not be only a playground for the movies to bridge the gap between releases.

I'm curious if New Shield would then carry over to Avengers 2. They'll have an entire season to explore that story before Avengers 2 hits, in fact it could be a seamless transition when Avengers 2 is released which would put it near the end of Shield season 2 and we now know how much they like to cobble together the movies and the show ;)

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't believe Simmons couldn't be bothered to kiss him ON THE MOUTH when he's giving his life for hers. If he goes evil after this he's completely justified :lol:

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the hell was that?

Navigating his face, left ear to right ear, with 15 tiny kisses... No seriously, what the #### was that!?

14. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Whatdya want from her, she's got dat Jungle Fever.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Now that I think about it, I believe someone spotted the "Kree" lettering on an action figure or something for a character who's in the trailer. Forget his name but he's definitely Kree. Has a big hammer, middle name "the".

Seeing both those languages together makes things interesting. Could it mean those people were Skrulls and they're trying to decode some Kree data? A secret Skrull-Kree war on Earth perhaps? It would line up with Skye's parents being "monsters" and SHIELD getting their hands of a Kree corpse. Of course that's assuming those two things are even related.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ronan the Accuser, a Kree character introduced in FF, is in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie. So yeah, I'd say Marvel retains the rights to the Kree.

Also, Lady Sif mentioned the Kree by name in "Yes Men."

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, Kree plotlines for Season 2 would seem to be locked in, partly explaining what Coulson and the TAHITI staff originally mistook for hypergraphia?

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Skye is the love child of a star-crossed romance between a Kree and a Skrull!

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

So does anyone else think that Ward my be sticking around, if only as a recurring guest? It's not like they can send him to headquarters for that interrogation, which means he'll be in their custody. If that's the case, I can easily see that turning into a situation where they reluctantly put him to work as a matter of necessity. They made a big point of underlining that he no longer had a purpose with Garrett gone.

Note that I am emphatically not using the words "redemption" or "good guy".

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral