Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They wouldn't be able to afford to keep the bridge set staffed with on-camera extras for more than five seconds on a TV budget, probably. Fifteen seconds if they were feeling particularly generous.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But the sets would've been struck after the movie completed filming. What I'm suggesting is that maybe the show could've used some of the standing movie sets while the movie was still being shot. Or that they could've arranged to keep some of the sets standing longer because they knew they'd want them for the show. Not necessarily something as elaborate as a Helicarrier bridge (which is largely greenscreen anyway, at least everything outside the windows), but maybe some of the Triskelion sets, say. Didn't Simmons tell Skye "Wait 'til you see the Triskelion" a while back? It's possible they might follow through on that.

3. DEWLine

Everything outside the windows of the bridge set was greenscreen, but inside the windows was physical. Three stories tall, and how many consoles had to be crewed?

Looked like close to twenty seats just in the pit areas....and at the "gallery" consoles on either side? Maybe twice that...on each side.

4. Christopher

Well, like I said, I don't expect them to use that particular set. I'm sure there are quite a few in the movie.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

As far as paying extras goes, they had quite a few for the Hub, no?

6. DEWLine

Wondering about digital set extensions on that episode.

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Exactly.. Extras are well within the means for such a show. What does an extra make for a couple of hours of work?

Can't be more than a couple a of hundred bucks for putting on the uniform and sitting at a console/walking around in the background.

But then again the Helicarrier is too over the top for the show which is supposed to be more grounded than the movies. Maybe for the season finale or a storyline finale but not for a regular episode.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

In the new CA:TWS trailer, we see a Helicarrier crashing into the Triskelion, so I doubt AoS will be going there. The sets could maybe be used to depict another location...

9. DEWLine

Possibly.

Me, I'm wondering what the repercussions for SHIELD would be...

[SPOILER="Winter Soldier Trailers]...given that we also see what looks like a Helicarrier vs. Helicarrier shooting match, and at least one of the 'Carriers crashing and burning in the Potomac. You don't depict a very uncivil war within SHIELD like that without expecting consequences to hit the undeserving. Such as Coulson's field team.[/SPOILER]

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Or maybe they'll visit the Triskelion in rubbles after the big fight when Shield calls back all available personell for additional security until the crisis is over

11. Christopher

That's assuming the episode takes place after the movie. It takes a lot more time to do post-production on a movie than it does on a TV series, so if the show had the opportunity to use the sets while the movie was in production, the episode that featured them would probably air significantly ahead of the movie's release. Since we know the Triskelion already exists at this point in the series' continuity, they could visit it at any point between now and April.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the comics S.H.I.E.L.D. has hundreds of Hellicarriers... But why would any one Nation allow such a gaping maw between themselves and the UN's Weapons tech?

Every airforce on the planet must has hellicarriers or stockpiles of antiHellicarrier weapons or they are punks at risk of losing control of their borders.

Why build a helicarriers to fight hellicarriers, when for a 10 thousandths of the cost you can have a salvo of specially designed missiles to answer the same question?

13. DEWLine

Addressing the comics scenario for a moment:

Not hundreds, but probably a dozen 'Carriers at most at any given time, not unlike the US CVN fleet.

And considering how many times Earth-616 has been invaded by ETs, as well as exotic-tech terror groups from HYDRA to ULTIMATUM to the mutant Brotherhood's assorted incarnations doing their border-hopping with teleport gear and whatnot, it's no wonder that the UN went to the trouble. They're coping with nastier and weirder stuff than us, and several times a year to boot.

And we won't even get into talking about SWORD being spun out of SHIELD specifically to handle the ET side of the problems.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember an insanely high registry number for a helicarrier at one point, which google can't seem to verify.

Meh.

However...

15. DEWLine

Cinema'Verse SHIELD dates back to 1943, has Howard Stark as one of its founding people and he was working on an early ancestor of "Lola" at that World's Fair in The First Avenger. The "88" tag on one of the 'Carriers in the trailer doesn't strike me as unreasonable in the context of being in the same world as the next USS Enterprise of the USN being tagged as "CVN-80".

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Agents of SHIELD: 1x14 - "TRACKS"

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now it's officially a Marvel show! The man has arrived.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that was nice. Good unexpected twist at the commercial break.

BTW, a Google search says CyberTek industries of a division of Roxxon. Do we know anything else? I know Roxxon was the company in the episode with the guy going out of phase.

Just name dropping?

19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Oh the holo-table gag was so funny......ugh. Nice Blonski reference but the humor is so forced on this show.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cybertek is connected with Deathlok which has been speculated to be where they are heading with J August Richards' character.