USS Enterprise (eventually) on Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by EJD1984, Jul 24, 2017.

1. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before:

Discovery take place 10 years before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise in 2265, and the Enterprise was apparently built in 2245, the Enterprise under the command of Pike could show up in the series at some point. If this was to happen, it could near the end of the series.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

Or in the first episode of season two.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

DaddlerTheDalek and EJD1984 like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

If it does appear, don't be surprised if it doesn't look like the TOS version.

I'm thinking for that reason they might not actually show the ship. It could be mentioned in dialogue though.

5. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Someone in a YouTube video had a theory based on the second trailer that Burnham, when a young girl in the Vulcan Science Academy, saved Spock from the fire that we see (and her being burned).

If that gets anywhere close to what's actually in DSC, maybe in conversation Sarek mentions the son she saved is now in Starfleet, aboard the Enterprise.

WARLOCK1965 likes this.
  6. Anglachel

Anglachel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It would make sense only if the story required it.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael Fankunstforumsmoderator Moderator

I didn't before, but something @PixelMagic said in another thread made me think he had some insider knowledge about the Enterprise appearing at some point in the series. Since he knew how the final Discovery design would look before it was released to the public, I guess he knows someone who has shown him some design concepts for the Enterprise. I could have interpreted it wrong, though.

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I interpreted it the same way, as did @Tom Servo.

9. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

Stories don't really "require" anything. The writer can incorporate what they want into them.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  10. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

If they did show her, I'm hoping that there isn't much messing about with the look. It's not like she hasn't been seen in this time period already, so the look should stay close to the original.

mos6507 and C57D like this.
  11. captainkirk

captainkirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which thread was that?

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be pretty surprising if her looks changed. After all, every spinoff of the original show, be it 1970s cartoons or 1980s movies or 1980s or 1990s or 2000s TV shows or 2010s movies, has faithfully reproduced the exact original look... Eventually.

For whatever reason, it's not a matter of aesthetics of the day, or the technological means. Kirk's original ship simply returns as is, even if only as a cameo like in ST:ID.

Timo Saloniemi

Neumann likes this.
  13. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be clear, I have not seen any Enterprise concepts. Just rumors and rumblings which may or may not come to fruition. Now I know skeptics can say that I used that last sentence as a get out of jail free card if it doesn't happen, and that I'm just masquerading as someone with inside knowledge. I confirmed what Discovery looked like, and I didn't put any maybes or possiblys in it. But I'm not going to say something for a certainty unless I do know for a fact that it is correct. I do not know for a fact whether the Enterprise will appear or not but it's possible (likely?) based on what I've heard.

Even if I had no foreknowledge, how can they play around in TOS era and not bring the Enterprise in for a cameo at some point?

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I think we'll certainly see a reinterpretation of the Constitution class. For me, it doesn't need to be the Enterprise, it could even be the Constitution herself in NX guise before she is even commissioned. Actually, that could be a good way of updating the look of the ship without causing TOO much consternation to the canon rivet counters. Maybe the Constitution is a Flight ! version of the class, while the Enterprise is a Flight II

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise is already launched at this point, so I can't see why the Constitution would still be NX.

16. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Oh true, I hadn't thought of that. But still, there is nothing that states that the Constitution and the Enterprise have to look exactly the same when it comes to the details.

17. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Captain Captain

I almost don't want to see a Constitution class ship. Not because I don't like it, more because I don't want to see it changed (much). If it does show up, you may be disappointed.

18. Ralphis

Ralphis Commander Red Shirt

I feel like it'll depend on how well received DSC is in the first season. If people enjoy season one, then DSC will probably continue to be their own thing with little TOS overlap (other than the obvious). But if DSC gets a mixed or negative reaction, but still gets a season two, you might see the Enterprise under Pike pop up, if anything, to boost subscriptions. As well as a more TOS-vibe. Just my uneducated opinion.

Tesophius likes this.
  19. In Thy Image

In Thy Image Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure it will be very different if it shows up. It will retain basic shape, but the rest will be thoroughly modernized. Which is why I would rather they don't show it. I like the original design, it's iconic.

20. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Batman, Spider-Man, and Superman suits are all iconic. They've all been redesigned. A properly redesigned Enterprise could be beautiful. Someone, somewhere, could design one even more beautiful than the refit. Of course, they could also make the Enterprise look awful. Hopefully not.

CRM-114 likes this.