Unseen TOS....

One last annoyance is that I currently use Adobe Creative Suite 4 with Photoshop and Illustrator. ... So I will have to find a viable alternative I can actually buy.
though I am spoiled with Adobe through my employer, I use the Affinity suite for all my hobby stuff on my home computer. Photo/Designer/Publisher covers (most) use cases for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. um, especially if you're used to CS4's feature set. but yeah, it's buy-once (per major version) instead of the monthly trickle. and I believe both your new M3 and Air 5 should be able to work on the same files.

I haven’t gotten my new computer yet, but I still plan to.

Also I haven’t forgotten this project. But work and the holiday season became a preoccupation. The holidays will soon be over and work should quiet down some so I can turn my attention back to other things of interest.

Even so I’ve been turning over ideas in my mind even if I haven’t managed to get them sketched out and start modelling them.

Please, stay tuned…

Last edited:
Today we sold our last M1 iMac that was on clearance. It was our display demo so I as the tech consultant got up close to get it off demo, reset it and tidy it up to be repackaged in its original box.

Damn(!) this thing is nice and with such a beautiful 4.5K display. I gotta hurry up and order my own.

Last edited:
Today we sold our last M1 iMac that was on clearance.
That's what I'm running now. Bought it last year out of desperation when my old 11 year old Mac died. I wish I could have held out to get the bigger monitor, but the 24" was all they had in stock. Also, the new Mac is not capable with my old but excellent Brother color laser printer - such a shame. Now I'm looking at new printers.

That's what I'm running now. Bought it last year out of desperation when my old 11 year old Mac died. I wish I could have held out to get the bigger monitor, but the 24" was all they had in stock. Also, the new Mac is not capable with my old but excellent Brother color laser printer - such a shame. Now I'm looking at new printers.

I have a three year old HP OfficeJet 8025 AIO printer that works very well for my needs. I don’t print a lot and the cartridges are reasonable so this doesn’t cost me much to run. For my needs if I were in the market for a new printer I might consider one of the new HP Smart Tank printers.

Brothers are generally solid and reliable printers, particularly the lasers. Sadly colour lasers are not cheap unless you find a good sale or pick up a clearance model. Buying toner cartridges is also not cheap particularly if you’re replacing more than one toner at a time. But the general longevity of a good laser can help offset its initial purchase cost. But toner cartridges still aren’t cheap and some inkjets can give you very similar performance yield as a laser for distinctly less cost.

One undeniable advantage of a laser is the cartridges won’t dry out—you can’t “dry out” toner which is already a powder. The laser can sit idle for many months to a year and still work. An inkjet has to be used or the cartridges can dry out. But if you’re using an inkjet even just a few times a month or two then you’re usually fine. Thats my use case and I’ve never had cartridges dry out on me.

If you want a large screen Mac you’re stuck buying an older Intel iMac or you have to cough it up to buy a Apple Studio display. Indications are Apple isn’t going to be making a 27in. or bigger iMac anytime soon. So your alternatives are buy a Mac Mini, Mac Studio or a MacBook and pair it with an Apple Studio or a cheaper third party monitor to get a larger display.

I don’t like any of those alternatives so I’m going for an M3 iMac. Good power and the 24 display is a solid upgrade over my current 21.5.

One undeniable advantage of a laser is the cartridges won’t dry out—you can’t “dry out” toner which is already a powder. The laser can sit idle for many months to a year and still work. An inkjet has to be used or the cartridges can dry out.
Thanks for the good info. I've been burned too often by ink jet printers in the past, so, I'm only considering laser printers now. I'm thinking about just getting a cheap B&W laser printer for routine stuff, and continue to rely on my wife's laptop computer for high quality color printing on my Brother when needed (with the software conversions and e-mailing stuff to her; what a pain, sometimes I wondering continuing with a Mac was wise), which is getting less needed as I get older and less interested in having paper cluttering my life. :rommie:

A Brother monochrome laser is a very affordable route to go if you don’t need colour. You can get a Brother monochrome printer that just prints or has a flatbed scanner or also has a document feeder, and they’re all reasonably priced particularly if you watch for the sales.

And remember your monochrome AIO laser still has a full colour scanner even if it only prints in B&W.

A printer is a tool and there are different types for different use cases or workloads.

Even as I'm thinking about the next things to tackle in this project my mind keeps casting back to the Valiant from "Where No Man Has Gone Before." While I quite like what I did I find myself wanting to go back and somewhat simplify its design into something a bit less thoroughly thought out and a bit more off-the-cuff--more like the photoshop image I did many years ago based off the spaceship Luna from Destination: Moon.

Even as I'm thinking about the next things to tackle in this project my mind keeps casting back to the Valiant from "Where No Man Has Gone Before." While I quite like what I did I find myself wanting to go back and somewhat simplify its design into something a bit less thoroughly thought out and a bit more off-the-cuff--more like the photoshop image I did many years ago based off the spaceship Luna from Destination: Moon.

I'm curious. You might have brought it up earlier in the thread, but is there a reason why you want to change the design of the Valiant from the design/model Greg Jein came up with for the Star Trek Chronology/Encyclopedia?

I'm curious. You might have brought it up earlier in the thread, but is there a reason why you want to change the design of the Valiant from the design/model Greg Jein came up with for the Star Trek Chronology/Encyclopedia?
Succinctly there is no chance whatsoever that Matt Jefferies or Wah Chang would have come up with that design in 1965.

Fully intended to get back into this project, but life seems to have had other ideas so it’s still on hiatus.

Three weeks ago on the evening of April 1st my mother slipped and fell in her bedroom. Fortunately she didn’t hit her head, but we learned she did break her hip. Got her into the hospital right away and two days later they operated on her hip. The hip surgery went well, but Mum developed postoperative delirium. She seemed to rally briefly, but then relapsed and she never really recovered and got worse and dragged on for two weeks in that state.

Mum had a DNR in the event her heart stopped so obviously she thought about the point-of-no-return. With that in mind my sister and I concluded Mum could not remain confined to bed in a restless delirium indefinitely—she had reached a point-of-no-return. If she couldn’t rally mentally then she couldn’t recover physically, and she wasn’t eating or drinking for days.

In the end we elected to give her comfort management and palliative sedation to ease her discomfort—definitely not a decision I ever wanted to make. Mum was 93 when she succumbed at 3am on April 16th.

It’s been a difficult three weeks. I am glad my mother is no longer suffering, but even though you know your parents will not live forever you are never prepared for this. And it’s not really over as I feel somewhat ghoulish going through her things and her affairs.

Very sorry to hear that. At least she had a long life and until that point, sounds like she was doing remarkably well for anyone in their 90's.

Lost my younger brother and mother within months of each 4 years back. Not easy to deal with...

Back