Unseen TOS....

The problem with showing a Klingon ship attacking the Enterprise early on on “Errand Of Mercy” will leave the viewer wondering why no other Klingon ships would be shown when a Klingon squadron or fleet shows up later over Organia. Remember the D7 hasn’t been designed or even conceived of yet. Mind you we don’t get to see a Federation fleet either when Sulu returns with reinforcements. Mind you not a truly big deal, but there it is. Even with a bit more time and money it would be impossible for them to design and build multiple ships for a story and villain that might never be seen again.

There are lots of tricks that they could use to overcome this perceived shortcoming. They could optically copy+paste the Klingon ship several times and that becomes the eight ships that arrive at Organia (same way they did the four ships in "The Ultimate Computer"). Or they could put a tactical chart up on the main viewer showing 8 blinky dots representing Klingon ships in orbit over Organia. Same with the fleet battle.

There might have been a mutiny inside...even if not provoked by the entity.

A pitched battle inside...a previous engagement with another vessel might have left that particular D-7 vulnerable...though a smaller ship that Warped9 is doing would sit better with me.
The Entity could transmute matter like making phasers into swords and changing the metal in bulkheads so that it can't be cut through.
Taking out something vital so the D7 goes boom on the inside was well within its power.

I'd fed better with hand-to-hand combat...so one of the two ships had to go. Enterprise was more roomy, so it survived

The D7s in TOS were bluish-gray on screen. The K’T’ingas in TMP were also bluish-gray on screen, but a much darker shade. The whole ‘Klingon ships must be green’ thing came from STIII and TNG onwards (and then retroactively in ENT.)

The D7s in TOS were bluish-gray on screen. The K’T’ingas in TMP were also bluish-gray on screen, but a much darker shade. The whole ‘Klingon ships must be green’ thing came from STIII and TNG onwards (and then retroactively in ENT.)
Agreed. I want to go more bluish with these rather than turquoise.

Four shades of a kind of blue. I mean the model is coloured with four varying shades of blue.

Getting near the end of this one. Thoughts on the remainder of Season One.

I'm thinking I really want to revisit the Valiant from "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I'm thinking that while I really like my design I might be able to do better for that will fit more closely the mindset of the early to mid 1960s.

In regard to another Valiant, referenced in "A Taste Of Armageddon," I'm starting to give that more thought about something somewhat different from my previous idea from several years back.

Finally the Archon referenced in "Return Of The Archons." My initial idea was siply to reuse the 21st cruiser design I had created earlie (re: backstory in regard to "Balance Of Terror"), but now I'm having some general thoughts on something different.

Last edited:
I like this shot. It’s largely what I envisioned since beginning to think about designing this scoutship. The ship is photographed from some distance away to emphasize its smaller size. And visually it looks to be firing “upward” to match the shots hitting the underside of the Enterprise’s saucer hull. That said showing the Enterprise firing forward when the enemy volloys are coming from below doesn't make any sense.

I like this, too, because it works much better than what we had originally.

Last edited:
I like this shot. It’s largely what I envisioned since beginning to think about designing this scoutship. The ship is photographed from some distance away to emphasize its smaller size. And visually it looks to be firing “upward” to match the shots hitting the underside of the Enterprise’s saucer hull. That said showing the Enterprise firing forward when the enemy volloys are coming from below doesn't make any sense.

I like this, too, because it works much better than what we had originally.

I'd like to see that model in "Fridays Child" pointing to the right, and ahead of the Enterprise, before it would turn to its right to face the Enterprise head-on. In other words, it was rushing to get ahead of the Starfleet ship from port. The trailing nacelles would then sort of mimic the glowing wedge with trailing arms we originally got in the episode!

EDIT: I should have said "pointing to the right, and heading away from the Enterprise, before it would turn to its right to face the Enterprise head-on!

Last edited:
Warped9, I may have had conversations with you about Vulcan spacecrafts and how I was so disappointed of design craft presented in ST: First Contact. To me it never felt Vulcan to me; for some reason I suspected a Vulcan spacecraft would have the DNA of a Romulan ship. What were your thoughts on the First Contact ship, and have you had any ideas what a Vulcan spacecraft would appear like in Star Trek in the 60's?

Back