Uhura trailer released

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 29, 2022.

1. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Over 3 or 4 decades, I'd expect some one's hair would...

Gilora, Jack Wolfe, Sci and 2 others like this.
  2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

*official*

Enough on the hair already. The character is more than her looks/style.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Mine decided to leave. :shifty:

4. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Captain Captain

In roughly 15 years, mine went from just past mid-back length to short and spikey, with a few stops along the way, all of them on the short side.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

In roughly 15 years mine went from existing to not existing.

Lousy male pattern baldness.

F. King Daniel and cooleddie74 like this.
  6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

In less than 15 minutes, my interest in seeing Uhura on SNW went from not existing to existing. All it took was watching her character trailer.

7. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

Lupita Nyong'o's career didn't really have a big breakthrough until 12 Years A Slave was released in 2013. Star Trek 2009 was filmed in between November 2007 and March 2008, so it was casting in 2007 -- six years before her big break. Nyong'o was just starting her career in 2007, serving on production crews; in 2008, she appeared in a short film, and then in 2009 she worked on several productions in Kenya: acting on a TV show entitled Shuga, directing a music video for Wahu, and writing & directing a documentary called In My Genes about the Kenyan albino population. From there, she enrolled in grad school to get a master's degree in acting from the Yale School of Drama. She booked 12 Years A Slave in 2012 immediately after finishing at Yale. So she was almost unknown in 2007 and not really in consideration; I can't even find any evidence she auditioned.

Meanwhile, Celia R. Gooding, who I have been told in this thread is insufficiently feminine...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:vulcan:

... has made the following posts on her Twitter account that seem pertinent to a topic of recent discussion:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nyotarules, Kaelef, Gilora and 3 others like this.
  8. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

ADDENDUM TO MY POST ABOVE: It has come to my attention that, while I posted the first two photos with the intent of rebutting the allegation that Celia R. Gooding is insufficiently "feminine," Gooding's bio on Twitter indicates the use of "they/she" pronouns. I'm unclear on whether Gooding identifies as nonbinary or genderqueer. I would still describe her personal aesthetic as quite feminine, but it's just worth bearing in mind that these concepts can be more complicated than the old binaries we all grew up in. :bolian:

9. Gilora

Gilora Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The "expert" on black women's hair strikes again! :mad: Glad it got banned.

Jack Wolfe and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. Gilora

Ms. Nichols wore wigs, which was standard for black actresses back in those days. Because our natural hair was considered unattractive. (I think the only time her actual hair was displayed was in TMP.)

I'm happy that those days are over. Also, Ms. Gooding's hair is perfect for a young woman who grew up in Kenya where very short hair is common. (I'm half-Kenyan.)

Jinn, Jack Wolfe, Nyotarules and 4 others like this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why the fuck should I care or comment on another person's hair?

12. Gilora

Good on you!

I am seeing "she should wear a wig" comments quite a bit. It's getting on my nerves. Black American women grow up with a lot of hair trauma that may not be commonly known.

Like Nichols' Uhura revolutionized the portrayal of black women on TV, Gooding's Uhura is revolutionizing the female hair standard. I was a little half black American, half Kenyan girl when the beautiful Nichols first graced the screen and identified with her for her African name as much as for her appearance.

Now Gooding demonstrates that black women need not straighten their hair or wear wigs to be presentable. That the short hair is common in Kenya is pitch perfect.

Many may not get the importance of cultural representation, but I think most Trek fans want to get it.

Hope this helps.

13. cooleddie74

Besides, Uhura's hair is all over the place between "The Corbomite Maneuver" and TUC. Her appearance as a 20-year-old Cadet should be no less unpredictable.

Jack Wolfe and Sci like this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might not always agree with Roddenberry but when he says about baldness in the future no one will care I'm all in.

Nyotarules, Sci and Gilora like this.
  15. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can soon cosplay the EMH Mark I without any difficulties, and then Picard himself - or Sisko - for the rest of my life :D

16. cooleddie74

I've been at EMH level for years now.

17. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

I'm not there yet, but as I've gotten older my hairline has definitely decided to make like the Russian Army at Kyiv: a strategic retreat and redeployment... ;)

cooleddie74 likes this.