True (?): the cast did not get along!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by pharBeyond, Aug 20, 2010.

1. pharBeyond

pharBeyond Ensign Red Shirt

Well, I should have put a question mark after not getting along- as that should be a question, not a statement- sorry about that!

On YouTube there's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBQVCwMLIA) about the DS9 relaunch...

In the comments, someone said that it was "well known" that the cast didn't really all get along, and for that reason, some of them would have never agreed to do a DS9 movie. The commenter also mentions you can tell this from the interviews, as well as knowing people who worked on the show.

So, is there any truth to this? Like Infern0 on this post , i left ds9 at some point originally, and just recently came back- to enjoy it even more now.

But I have never read anything about the cast not getting along, though I did read somewhere about two cast members getting 'together' (not Siddig and Visitor)... so what's the scoop?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as I know, the cast got along fine, but, unlike with the TNG cast (who are all apparently good friends), the DS9 folks simply kept it a bit more professional. That is to say, while there were probably a few exceptions, the cast members would generally just do their jobs and then go home, without socializing with each other too much.

3. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

Considering two of the co-stars actually had a kid and got married (although it did end in divorce), some of those people had to like each other.

Most the comments I've seen that the other actors had made about each other seem to indicate a mutual respect/affection. Rene Aberjunois (Odo) talked about how kissing Nana Visitor (Kira) felt "incestuous" because they were so close it was like they were family.

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

What do the cast and crew interviews indicate? I don't think we can conjecture on this at all unless we have legitimate sources.

5. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Didn't Visitor recently say they were like family and she'd love to do a DS9 relaunch? And I'm sure Siddig wants to as well.

6. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

From interviews I've read with Visitor and Siddig, it seems as if few of the Niners stay in communication with one another.

7. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which two was that? First I heard of this..... though I can't say I followed the DS9 cast beyond the show like I did with TNG (Though DS9 is still slightly more my fav over TNG)

8. DS9 Gal AZ

Alexander Siddig (Bashir) and Nana Visitor (Kira) became romantically involved and had a child together. Visitor got pregnant, so they essentially had to write in the whole surrogacy for the O'Briens thing. They later made it official by getting married, although they are now divorced. That's the only on-set romance that I know of on Deep Space Nine.

I think whoever said that thing about the cast not getting along was, frankly, talking out of their ass.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Rene Auberjonois was in Dallas just a year ago, and he had nothin' but good things to say about everyone durin' his Q & A.

When I met Marina Sirtis a few years ago, I overheard someone ask her why she hadn't been on DS9, and she did say that Avery Brooks was "too serious" and that "set a tone" on the soundstage that made her feel unwelcome the one time she went to see her friend Terry Farrell.

Makes me think that maybe the negative comments are from folks on the outside that were lookin' in, ya know?

10. DS9 Gal AZ

Ugh, I could not picture "Counselor Troi" on DS9. Ezri was bad enough. Besides, we already got O'Brien and Worf (whom I was never that enamored with and got overloaded on), we didn't need any more TNG cast on DS9.

11. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah well you learn something new everyday.

lol, but the way you described it above, made the whole pregnancy situation a bit "Hillbilly"

In real life, Bashir and Kira hooked up, got married and she got pregnant, but it was actually O'Brien and Keiko's which eventually became Kira's to carry..... Yee Haw :lol: Next on Springer.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Don't forget, DS9 also had Gul Evek, Q, Vash, Lwaxana Troi, Tom Riker, the Duras sisters, Alexander, and Picard - all characters first introduced on TNG.

:rommie:

13. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

What Odo said + she said some other disparaging things about DS9 the show something like it being a step-child like show.

Screw her

14. pharBeyond

pharBeyond Ensign Red Shirt

Yes, it's starting to sound like some bad gossip!

15. Ensign Johnson

Ensign Johnson Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

From interviews I've read/seen I never got the impression they didn't get along. The way Nana Visitor spoke about Terry Farrell leaving the show gave the impression they got along. I also figured the friendships on DS9 felt real because they were, of course that could just have been good acting.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It casts a new light on this scene, doesn't it? ;)

17. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I don't think there was any animosity between them, they just weren't as close as the casts of the previous two Star Trek series. For example, Patrick Stewart said he loves the cast so much that he would think of them together when he had to do a big emotional/crying scene in a play. Leonard Nimoy said the scene of Bones and Kirk meeting in the 2009 movie made him cry because it reminded him of DeForest Kelley. In contrast, Avery Brooks said he doesn't really miss/see any of them anymore except for Cirroc Lofton (who became like a son to him).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  18. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who didn't get along with whom? Which interviews supposedly indicate this? Everything I've ever read indicates the opposite, and when you see them at conventions, they seem very friendly and happy to see each other (no, I haven't been at conventions, but I've read lots of reports and seen videos). The only time I've ever heard anything about someone not getting along was a few months ago when someone here on the forum said that Michael Dorn allegedly thought Avery Brooks was "too serious". But other cast members have said that Brooks was very nice and gracious to everyone on the set. I know that Rene and Nana were/are very good friends; Rene and Armin seem to be very good friends and have great fun at conventions; Siddig has said he was good friends with Colm Meaney and Andy Robinson (who was also, according to IMDB, godfather to Sid and Nana's son Django); Alaimo, Combs and Biggs seem to be quite close; Aron Eisenberg said that Cirroc Lofton didn't realize Aron was quite older than him until he saw him without makeup but by that time they were already good friends... It's a big cast, they can't all be close to each other, but generally, it seems that most of the actors were the closest with people they worked with the most, which makes sense. Yes, most of them have drifted apart, but it usually happens when people go on to do other stuff, move to other cities or even countries/continents... It's happened to me even with close friends or relatives, physical proximity is quite an important factor in staying in touch. I know that Alaimo and Combs are neighbors in addition to being good friends, but in some other cases, people live far apart and are busy doing other stuff... Yet they all, or most of them, seem very friendly to each other at conventions and have great fun. Unless it's just a great act?

She's said that in several interviews.
    http://nanavision.com/?p=79#more-79
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/387/387069p3.html
    Well, IMDB bio of Terry Farrell claims that she dated Michael Dorn, but I don't know if it's true since I've never seen a source for that. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000395/bio

And it is a known fact that Max Grodenchick was engaged to Lolita Fatjo, but that's not a romance between two cast members.

Probably.

At worst, maybe one or two cast members weren't too keen on some other cast member, but a) it's a huge cast, not everyone is going to be everyone's best friend, and b) I doubt that anyone hates anyone else as much to let that get in the way of their professional work.

People just love the gossip about actors from TV shows hating each other, and many will try to make up some such scandal even when there is none.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  19. OldManDax

OldManDax Captain Captain

Well, first we know that not ALL the TOS actors got along. Takei, Nichols, Koenig - all clearly hated Shatner, so...

But I think some of this balls down to the series' leads. Stewart, from what I've seen and heard of him, had a very ribald, semi-raunchy british humor that probably would have gone over well with a cast that was often forced to play out storylines that were so dramatically intense.

Brooks, on the other hand, while from all reports very gracious, and big-hearted (think I read that he was once advocated for Colm Meaney to be allowed to take time off to do a movie), was also much more of an acTOR. Plus, I think he had an overall different sense of what his purpose/mission on Trek was.

That had to affect how the cast operated.

20. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think that people who are trying to make a leap from someone possibly in a bad mood at a convention to a whole conclusion about the DS9 cast are conjecturing without any sources.

If anyone can show interviews--and I mean from more than one cast member, not just one--that prove that there were real problems on the set, then we have nothing other than a group that may have just viewed what they did as work instead of a social gathering. It really gets old, how people constantly try to come up with some kind of gossip or dirt on others, whether it happens online or IRL. I mean, do we need to think that others are doing badly, in order for us to feel like we're doing well???