TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Grew up watching Star Trek TNG, probably influenced my philosphical beliefs more than any other work of fiction. Still my favorite Trek, though not by the same margin it used to be. I don't remember when I started watching it every week, but I remember watching it in syndication every day after getting home from school, and that was before the series ended.

When I was a kid I loved Wesley because, well, I was a kid. I don't mind Wesley so much. He was a far better character when he was screwing up than when he was magically saving the ship, and I can imagine being a Starfleet ensign and being pissed that a talented kid gets to take the helm. But I can still identify with him quite a bit. I'd much rather keep Tasha over Troi than get rid of Wesley.

Gotta love a show which, in the first episode, tells the audience "You are savages."

2. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

To both n00bs above, I'm another Wesley fan. When TNG came out, our older daughter was 8 and I could see her being kind of precocious like Wes. As a parent, it gave me a different perspectife on both Beverly and her kid. Here's hoping you enjoy time spent on the board, and happy Thanksgiving if you happen to be in the USA.

3. Mrs Q

Mrs Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello Minuet!
    The Best of Both Worlds is one of my favourites too. The best episodes of any Star Trek, not just TNG. Well written, well acted, tense scary and sad.
    So many great scenes, but a few of my favourites are when Picard is being Borged and you see him crying, when he comes on the viewscreen as Locutus, Worf and Data rescuing Picard/Locutus and when Data hooks himself up with the Borg.

4. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    On that note, it's funny, I actually never knew he was shedding a tear until I watched a high-quality DVD rip on my laptop years ago, and only then noticed it up close.

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker, and recent poster.

I became a fan of TNG (and TOS and movies) around 1990, and I've been watching it ever since.

One of my earliest memories was seeing 11001001 on TV at first airing. It was when the Enterprise was backing out and warping away. I remember the effects being really impressive (still do). I was 4 at the time.

TNG will always be my favorite. My brain says DS9 is the best, but my heart chooses TNG.

6. Mrs Q

It's amazing the things you miss. I've seen most episodes umpteen times but there's still things I spot that I hadn't noticed before.

After I've watched the episodes a couple of times, the next time I watch it I always make a point of looking in the background to see what's going on, and at the main actors if they're not speaking but are in the shot to see their reaction to what's being said. For example, if Picard's speaking and Riker's also in the shot I'll look at Riker. :D

Another thing I've noticed by doing this is all the little movements Brent Spiner made. He really was fantastic as Data.

7. Mrs Q

I still think the effects are great too. And 11001001 is one of my favourite episodes.

TNG was the one that got me into Star Trek. I've seen all the series apart from DS9, (don't really know why I've never watched it), and in my opinion none of them come close, not even TOS.

I just think it has so many great characters; Data, Q (I know he was in Voyager as well, but he wasn't nearly as great a character as he was in TNG), Worf, Lore (who I think should have been in more episodes. He was a great villain), and the greatest Star Trek Captain ever, Picard.

And I love the humour in TNG as well.

8. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

hello all...
    slowly finding all these welcome/intro threads...

been here a couple days. Fan of TNG and all things Trek. {well, the series/movies. not familiar with novels/games}

by the by, minuet & others... i'm not a wesley hater. i love that he went with his gut in the end, defending the maquis and willing to risk his relationship with everyone who'd become his family over the years in order to Do What He Thought Was Right; and i've often thought that the Traveler/wesley relationship would have been fun to see more of. Diggin' the traveler.

So, Hello.

And see you soon!

9. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    ^"Journey's End" is one of my favorite TNG episodes.

10. Chronius Fawkes

Chronius Fawkes Ensign Newbie

Hi! I'm 44, divorced father of two really boring teenage kids, and a plastics processor (I diagnose and fix plastic injection molding problems). I liked Picard the best. BUt later on, as Worf's character developed, I started taking a liking to him. I suppose what attracted me to him was his dedication to living in and appreciating both of his worlds. His dichotomous nature was intriguing to me.

11. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Huge fan of TNG. My favorite episodes are Best of Both Worlds, Cause and Effect, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Offspring....too many to name.

I really liked the group as a whole but if I have to pick a favorite character it would be picard.

12. AloriaDax

AloriaDax Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I grew up watching TNG. For more than 10 years I resisted watching any other ST because I couldn't imagine another being so close to my heart. But finally I broke down and watched DS9 and boy was that an AWESOME decision that I should have made years earlier. I am currently watching and loving Voyager. Hi! :)

13. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is Keith1701, a big Star Trek The Next Generation Fan from Bonaire, Georgia.

14. Antni

Antni Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Next Generation fan here from Manchester, UK.

Was born in 1987 so only got into the series around 5 year old thinking this is a cool show then since then managed to see I would say 95% of the series probably the odd episode here or there I've missed but by far TNG is what got me into Star Trek :)

15. HansentheSwede

HansentheSwede Ensign Red Shirt

I am a 27-year old journalist. Grew up watching Star Trek: TNG and the TOS movies on scratchy VHS. I think I wore out Wrath of Khan.

16. Bigjoe

Bigjoe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Massive TNG fan. Gutted when it finished. It felt like part of my family had gone.

Hope and pray for a new series with hopefully some TNG cameos!

17. Loci2378

Loci2378 Ensign Newbie

I am a very big TNG Fan. Grew up with it. In my opinion the Best Star Trek Show. So many great storys, Picard, Data, LaForge, Riker...and yes...Wesley :P

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I wore out a few STNG tapes early on...I don't think I could have ever imagined a day when I could access the show from any of 4 large LCD screens, all 3 smartphones in the household, streaming all day and night or from HD Bluray in perfect resolution.

RAMA

19. balticballet

balticballet Ensign Newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster :D

Long time TNG fan.

From Australia..

Err not sure what else to say....

20. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Welcome in from the shadows. No need to say much here, apply yourself to the various threads throughout the forum or feel free to start one of your own. We hope you have fun visiting here.