The Omega Glory...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Riker'sMailbox, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Maurice

Maurice Admiral Premium Member

I don't remember the finished version too well, but IIRC in the 2nd pilot version of the script it's more clear that the Kohm town is the last one as the "savages" have taken over all the lands around them. I'll try to pull it out again and check...if for no other reason than to enjoy Roddenberry's totally weird alternate version of Spock. :)

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to hear more about that! :drool:

I was aware that this was in the running as Pilot#2 but a different interpretation of Spock is completely new to me.

3. Maurice

You've perhaps heard stories about early Spock absorbing energy through a plate in his stomach? Well...not quite but close! His dialog about it...riot!

Harvey and Mytran like this.
  4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, that whacky Roddenberry! :guffaw:

How many breasts does he have?

5. Maurice

One, but then he only ordered the half chicken.

6. cgervasi

cgervasi Commander Red Shirt

This is a powerful point I hadn't thought of! You're right. When people see some thing incongruous, they freeze. Critics of President Bush criticized him for freezing and failing to react when someone whispered into his ear that two commercial jets crashed into a buildings. If it had been a familiar mode of attack, e.g. a plane or missile, maybe he would have reacted faster.

When someone tried to break into my house twenty years ago, a neighbor confronted the would-be buglers. The police officer who investigated said that is normal. Most people see a crime and thing, "wait, two guys with a crowbar prying a window? That just can't be what it looks like!" As a cop, though, she said she sees a steady stream of them and knows it probably is just what it looks like.

So if I came across clothes with crystals in it and I were not in a scifi or horror TV show, I would not think "oh no, something must have sucked all the water out of them." I would just think "this is weird".

I really liked that. I thought they handled that really well in the episode, making it clear that any reasonable person would think Si monster eggs would sound crazy.

I would also add that McCoy wouldn't have needed to figure out it was communicable. It could have been a burst of radiation or some chemical contaminant, not necessarily a disease. But I agree McCoy and the rest of them should have known they were at risk of whatever happened to the other crew. I think they did know, but the theory is these guys have the right stuff to explore dangerous situations and don't scare easily.

Phaser Two likes this.
  7. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The difference with uniforms and crystals all over the place is that in the real world there is no such disease or force that could do that to human tissue so maybe Kirk and crew were right to not suspect anything at first! :eek:
    JB

cgervasi likes this.
  8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

Were they making a lot of noise?

9. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What happened to the crew isn't all that different from what the Kelvans turned the Enterprise crew into.

The Warlord and Lance like this.
  10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't help but wonder if the M-113 'Salt Vampire' would look at the USS Exeter's crew as being like a happy meal. :D

11. johnnybear

With a little less flavour though I'm guessing! :p
    JB

12. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Captain Premium Member

RONALD TRACEY RETCON ALERT:

During a previous away mission he was taken over by a parasitic life form which used him as a host to personally drain the life of his crew in the manner we've seen.

Mmm...on second thought...

Nah. He was nucking futs...

13. johnnybear

Like Matt Decker before him he couldn't handle the fact that his entire crew were killed up on the Exeter, so thought that one good thing to come out of it was bringing eternal life to the citizens of the galaxy, until that too was revealed to be just a figment of his imagination and then oh yeah after that he became a little nucking futs! :techman:
    JB

Phaser Two and ZapBrannigan like this.
  14. IMC Headquarters

:lol:

It would have at least a year's worth of meals on board. Then crack some dilithium crystals for a buzz...the equivalent of after-dinner coffee.

Lance and The Warlord like this.
  15. cgervasi

cgervasi Commander Red Shirt

It was in the middle of the day while I was at work.
    My neighbor obviously knew break-ins happen, but he didn't expect to witness one on any given day. Similarly in the Star Trek universe, the characters know there is weird science fiction stuff happening all the time, but they don't expect to see it any given day.

16. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

I was actually referring to your being spellchecked: burglar/bugler.

17. Spock Riding

Spock Riding Commodore Premium Member

Matt Decker goes a little crazy after losing his crew in The Doomsday Machine. :crazy:
    Ron Tracey goes a little crazy after losing his crew in The Omega Glory. :crazy:
    Jim Kirk screws a beautiful babe after losing his crew in The Mark of Gideon. :nyah:

Lance and The Warlord like this.
  18. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decker and Tracey never got the option

The Warlord and Lance like this.
  19. johnnybear

There was a Khom babe who delivered McCoy's food much to the displeasure of the guard! :techman:
    JB

20. IMC Headquarters

I dunno. Decker tried to mate with the Doomsday Machine but lacked potency.

Spock Riding, Prax and The Warlord like this.