Spoilers The new (massive spoiler) ship!

I do prefer the Yorktown refit. Which is what the Enterprise-F is right now in the game.
Played STO back in the day, and I like what they have been doing with the ships. Honestly I still follow news on it just to see the latest designs. I do really prefer the Yorktown refit, myself.

yeah, sorry that gives the E-B a run for it’s money as the ugliest Enterprise. woof.
I very much dislike what they did with the Excelsior miniature to make the Generations E-B. I get that they wanted to protect the model from the Nexus damage by cutting up the extra piece of the hull they tacked on, but it was just a little too much of a design retcon for me, adding an E-D-style "flare" to the front of the hull, as if we didn't already know it was an integral part of the design lineage (and tacitly ignoring the Ambassador class, that didn't have that flare at all). The extra massive impulse engines (blowing plasma thrust jets into the warp nacelles directly behind it) were another head-scratching afterthought that just simply didn't make sense. They should have kept it stock, IMO, especially since the original S1 conference room wall model was clearly depicted as a legacy Excelsior design.

I wonder if next episode the F will go toe-to-toe with the Ent-D and get destroyed, which could be a pretty good reason why they've gone out of their way to inform us that it's already on it's way out for decommissioning. basically setting it up as disposable.

Someone brought up the idea that they would have preferred it to feature the Ent-E, and I do think the idea of the Ent-D going up against the Ent-E is pretty tantalizing. Although from another angle it could be seen as disrespectful and insulting to the E-E, like picking favorites among children, so they may have wanted to avoid a direct comparison/confrontation like that.
Let the E rest in peace, and use the one nobody is emotionally attached to for the fight. honestly i think it's a pretty good trick to maneuver around the situation, especially considering how....passionate star trek nerds can be.
Plus, I think it's pretty dang cool to set up the idea that Shelby served as captain of the Enterprise F for off-screen adventures prior to this.
I am not interested in any leaks, just happy to speculate.

Last edited:
The E-E was much more of a tactically minded vessel, so it would line up with his preferences.

Which is funny considering he was so bummed over the E-D's loss in Way of the Warrior that he thought about leaving starfleet.

Prior to the "E", the "D" was the big-bad flagship -- the "E", with the latest and greatest, would be a joy for him in that order.

The "E" definitely had an awesome look.

If the -E really was Worf's first command, as implied (though never quite stated outright in case they change their minds later), it makes sense that he'd have more of an attachment, even though the rest of the crew had been on her longer. With the gap of being on DS9 and serving as an ambassador, going back to the Enterprise-E full time would've been his version of what this homecoming moment felt like for everyone else.

I very much dislike what they did with the Excelsior miniature to make the Generations E-B. I get that they wanted to protect the model from the Nexus damage by cutting up the extra piece of the hull they tacked on, but it was just a little too much of a design retcon for me, adding an E-D-style "flare" to the front of the hull, as if we didn't already know it was an integral part of the design lineage (and tacitly ignoring the Ambassador class, that didn't have that flare at all). The extra massive impulse engines (blowing plasma thrust jets into the warp nacelles directly behind it) were another head-scratching afterthought that just simply didn't make sense. They should have kept it stock, IMO, especially since the original S1 conference room wall model was clearly depicted as a legacy Excelsior design.

Rick Berman originally wanted a new filming model built for the Enterprise-B. Allegedly, he was tired of constantly seeing the Excelsior class in TNG, despite the 'Enterprise history wall' seen in the first few seasons showing a regular Excelsior representing the B (and it's not like the C on that wall looked anything like the C filming model either.) If this had happened, then the original Bill George Excelsior would have probably made one last appearance in VOY's "Flashback" before being permanently retired (rather than Jein making a new model because of what happened to the original one in Generations), and the new B model built for Generations would have been the 'guest starship' in DS9, and we wouldn't have the discrepancy which you describe. Of course, this never happened, so we have no idea what that version of Berman's Enterprise-B would have looked like, as I don't think it even got to the concept art stage before the decision was made to use the Excelsior with add-on parts.

Last edited:
Rick Berman originally wanted a new filming model built for the Enterprise-B. Allegedly, he was tired of constantly seeing the Excelsior class in TNG, despite the 'Enterprise history wall' seen in the first few seasons showing a regular Excelsior representing the B (and it's not like the C on that wall looked anything like the C filming model either.) If this had happened, then the original Bill George Excelsior would have probably made one last appearance in VOY's "Flashback" before being permanently retired (rather than Jein making a new model because of what happened to the original one in Generations), and the new B model built for Generations would have been the 'guest starship' in DS9, and we wouldn't have the discrepancy which you describe. Of course, this never happened, so we have no idea what that version of Berman's Enterprise-B would have looked like, as I don't think it even got to the concept art stage before the decision was made to use the Excelsior with add-on parts.

It didn't. Berman wanted it but it was clear that the Enterprise-B was an Excelsior and the concept art when from there. You can explain away the modifications in that maybe the E-B was rebuild into a standard Excelsior following the initial outing or something, but not a completely and utterly different ship. The Enterprise-C is a good example in that its..close-ish to what we saw, but still a bit of a jarring difference.

Berman got weird about shit and the Enterprise-B and the Enterprise-D bridge were a few of them

To be fair I don't think his instincts were wrong as a filmmaker. It would have been great to be able to show a brand-new old Enterprise instead of a ship we saw dozens of times on TNG.

Just a few problems with that - mainly budget, but also to a lesser degree the previous continuity suggesting it was an Excelsior.

If they had money to spend on a new ship model, it should have gone on a new fearsome Klingon battle cruiser for the Duras sisters to threaten the Enterprise.

Thought they should have just streamlined the story for 'Generations' and had the Romulans be the ones behind Soran. They made the trilithium in the first place anyway, and he could still be the one to convert it into a weapon for them, with his payment being a small amount for his personal use. It would also have meant having the possibility of seeing Tomalak aboard either a D'deridex-class, or a new massive warbird type, facing off against the Enterprise crew.

To be fair I don't think his instincts were wrong as a filmmaker. It would have been great to be able to show a brand-new old Enterprise instead of a ship we saw dozens of times on TNG.

Just a few problems with that - mainly budget, but also to a lesser degree the previous continuity suggesting it was an Excelsior.

If they had money to spend on a new ship model, it should have gone on a new fearsome Klingon battle cruiser for the Duras sisters to threaten the Enterprise.

But then they wouldn’t have been able to reuse that exploding BoP stock footage from the previous film and thinking we wouldn’t notice! :D

Last edited:
Thought they should have just streamlined the story for 'Generations' and had the Romulans be the ones behind Soran. They made the trilithium in the first place anyway, and he could still be the one to convert it into a weapon for them, with his payment being a small amount for his personal use. It would also have meant having the possibility of seeing Tomalak aboard either a D'deridex-class, or a new massive warbird type, facing off against the Enterprise crew.
Better movie...

More Tomalak is always good!

Also, I still think people would have accepted a Vorcha or the Voodieh being the ship that attacked the Ent-D.

At most what would have been practical is a K'tinga, plus the model already existed. The Duras sisters were outlaws more or less and having a state of the art battlecruiser is a bit of a reach.

Also re: the Enterprise-B:

One thing that I don’t think the filmmakers realized was that a casual moviegoer might not realize that the Enterprise-B and the Enterprise-D were two different ships. The structure of the movie is set up in such a way that the audience is immediately introduced to this brand-new ship and this brand-new young captain, and then ten minutes later the plot segues right into a holodeck program on a ship that we don’t see the exterior of until later and just for a few seconds, and a much older captain. I remember seeing Generations in the theater with friends who weren’t Trek fans and several of them were confused, thinking it was the same ship and the same captain (just decades later), despite Stewart’s English accent. We as Trek fans know exactly what’s going on, but the film doesn’t really mesh well with a casual audience.

One thing I think would have helped immensely would have been to make the Enterprise-B look absolutely nothing like the D, to the point where there would be no question that they’re two different ships. And making Harriman black or Asian would have been a better choice than Cameron in space.

Back