The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by DigificWriter, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The Borg are the one Delta Quadrant race that Voyager should have kept encountering and, realistically, they really should have encountered them far more frequently than they did over the course of 7 seasons.

gweeps likes this.
  2. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

It wasn't just the Borg that VOY kept running into it was several species, including running into the Kazon(a less advanced species) several times over the course of the first 2 years. I was using "The Gift" as an example because the way the episode ended implied that VOY was done with the Borg. And the Borg never followed VOY.

3. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

The entire Delta Quadrant wasn't Borg space, in "The Gift" VOY was thrown 10 years past borg space, so they really shouldn't have kept running into them.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the Borg really were not interested in assimilating Voyager, then logically, it should have been safe for the Queen and Harry to date.

5. Guy Gardener

No it wasn't.

Voyager was on the edge of Borg Space, and Kes flung it 10kly to the other edge of Borg Space.

6. DigificWriter

@Brunt: The Borg were never 'confined' to their own territory, nor should they expected to have been.

As for the Kazon, encounters with them obviously ended once Voyager passed beyond the point where their technology allowed them to travel.

You're trying to make the argument that if Voyager were truly to have been constantly on the move, they shouldn't have encountered any given alien species more than once even though the species they re-encountered were themselves traversing the Quadrant and weren't 'staying put' in their own territory.

7. Guy Gardener

The expanse of Kazon influence went 35 episodes in one direction from Caretakers array, and it's not unreasonable to assume that it might have gone 35 episodes in couple other directions from Caretakers array too.

%95 of the other races Voyager met up with, their territory didn't extend further than one episode.

Is Kazon Space really possibly at least 17 and a half times bigger than the Krenum Emperium?

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't remember. Qhat had happened in the alpha quadrant in that TNG ep qhere the Borg had taken over the qhole quadrant? Qhere Riker is on the Enterprise in the alt timeline screaming for help? HOQ had they taken over the qhole AQ?

(A large and solid object fell on my keyboard and the double u key has flied off and is missing also another key but I can't remember qhat it does and so far have not missed it.)

9. Guy Gardener

Parallels

That happened because the Borg won The Best of Both Worlds.

They were committed to their action. It didn't matter that they were there for the wrong reasons, chasing the Q, because they overestimated how integral Man was to the Q.

Because of the Borgs constant defeats in the AQ in the reality we are familiar with, they keep putting off going back to Picard's front yard because they don't like the bloody noses he doles out.

10. teacake

I have taken the kew key and placed it on the W key because there are more W's.

SO that win means they take over a whole wuadrant in a very very very short time. They have been mansplaining in the DKew for a couple CENTURIES.

"We are the Borg. We are superior. You are retards and we will add you to our wonderfulness and you will know perfection."

If they could devour the Akew in such a short period of time having them be allllllll over the Dkew seems rather obvious. Though they did run into species who had never heard of the Borg.. but their time is no doubt coming.

11. teacake

Also I just wanna say that when I first saw Parallels I laughed my ass off at how desperate and awful poooooooor alt Riker's life was. Such was my loathing.

12. DigificWriter

The Kazon only appeared in 12 episodes over the course of the first three seasons, and only 3 additional times in the remaining seasons, so I'm not sure where you got your figures from.

13. teacake

It's their dreadlocks. Even when they aren't onscreen you can smell the patchouli oil.

14. DigificWriter

The Kazon weren't even referenced in passing beyond their 15 physical appearances, so I don't really see how their limited use - especially in the context of the show as a whole - stretches credibility.

15. Guy Gardener

Caretaker part 1 to Basics part 2 = 43 episodes.

(I thought there were less episodes in season 2.)

Did anyone else chase Voyager for 2 seasons?

Even in 30 days, the Aliens of the week only chased terrorist Tom for 30 days, and that only took one episode, although his demotion lasted for over a season.

16. DigificWriter

Caretaker counts as two eps even though it was originally aired as one and had a single production number, meaning that there are 45 eps in the span you've cited, and, as noted, the Kazon only appear in 12 of those eps (with one of those appearances being in holographic form only), so I still fail to see how their use stretches credibility. It was good to have gotten away from utilizing them when the show did, but I don't think they'd been used unrealistically over the course of the 12 out of 45 eps in which they were used in Seasons 1-3.

17. Guy Gardener

Voyager was mostly (jetrel, resolutions) travelling in a straight line towards home. Well not a straight line as the crow flies, but they had a definite forward momentum away from Caretaker's Array.

This isn't very difficult.

The Kazon started attacking them at the beginning of season one, and gave up in season 3.

There is an obvious proportionate relationship between time and distance.

If you drive some where in your car, it takes a certain amount of time depending on how fast you are driving.

(I could literally be talking to a three year old right now, but when you ask me to dumb down my re-explanation for a third time because your brain can't make the connection, that's what you get. Sorry.)

Voyager had been travelling in a straight line ( almost) for 2 years before they were beyond the reach of the Kazon.

No one else using regular warp technology chased Voyager for that long or that far.

2 years = 2000 light years.

2 years = 2 fucking years.

730 days!

The Kazon City Ships were not fast enough, and their empire can't have been big enough.

But still 2 years later, there they were.

In front of Voyager.

Just because we didn't see the Kazon in the episodes which they were not in, that doesn't mean that they cease to exist off camera where they were getting their shit together to kick Janeway in the nuts a couple episodes down the line.

26 + 16 + 1 = 43 episodes.

It takes the Kazon 2 years to cross space where they are welcome, or they outright control, that means that they have a massive empire or/and a lot of allies or they were bumbling around just like Janeway.

Almost every other empire Voyager chanced upon can be left for dust in hours or days, a week at the most, ie: One episode.

If it took 2 years to get beyond the reach of the Kazon, then every other civilization which they encountered that was more powerful and faster and advanced than the Kazon should have also taken at least 2 years to leave their field of influence... But that turned out not to be the case.

18. DigificWriter

You're equating Voyager not re-encountering certain alien species more than once with the ship having left said aliens' territory behind, which I don't think holds much weight.

BTW, I consider Seasons 1 and 2 to be comprised of 20 and 22 episodes respectively, which equals 44 eps, plus Basics P2, which equals 45.

19. teacake

Here's the thing. The Kazon have been pirating other species tech and splitting off into factions which requires distance from parent factions for centuries. They are never going to evolve into creators of tech because they aren't designed that way, rather they are the are the master race of appropriation. Use of found (stolen) objects is their skillset. Intineracy and tribal social structures are their culture. So they didn't just start expanding from their homeworld last week when they decided to steal big cars, most of them have never been to their homeworld and they don't give a rats about it. They are FAR FLUNG because that's what makes them Kazon.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  20. Guy Gardener

20 + 22 = 42.

Talaxians helped get Voyager back in Basics II.

That means that their trade routes were as extensive as the Kazons.

Empires are blob shaped, not circles or squares.

(Although I imagine Borg space to be a perfect sphere.)

Voyager was definitely passing borders, but lots of other aliens travel across borders too, that any species Voyager encountered in their own home space, other members of that same species could be found as a tourist, immigrant, trader or invader in any other neighbouring empire.