Spoilers Supergirl - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 20, 2019.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

They may not feel that way, in their neverending, boring push to have everyone do the Marx Brothers walk down the street, but this series has never developed a great villain, or if there was strong potential (Lockwood), they are reduced to a cartoon character by the end of his run. Lena, being a "local", her corrupt, on-screen history and now knowing the truth (that her "friends" are habitual liars) cannot--with any sense of realism--just toss it all over the shoulder, nor can she make a moral pivot when her past actions are a part of her identity.

...and being a human (who is not going to vanish after an arc like so many aliens on this show) and knowing SG's true identify would make her far more dangerous than any who came before. The one enemy SG cannot punch into submission. McGrath has the acting chops to pull that off, but I'm not betting that the showrunners will take Lena where she was meant be as an antagonist.

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think by making Lena evil they want to capture some of the Lex and Clark stuff from Smallville. Their are tons of advantages of having a ongoing baddie beyond one season especially one with a strong connection to the hero. Now they need to bring back Otis and she would have Lex's lackeys from the movies. Jason

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That'd be nice. Every show I want to watch this season seems to be airing on Sunday night, so it's making my Monday afternoons a little crowded.

4. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

SG is not changing timeslots. That FB post refers to its availability to stream. Broadcast debut remains on Sunday, with the streaming scheduled for the day after. All CW shows list their internet availability one day after telecast.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which means my viewing schedule's going to change a bit. I finally cut the cord and cancelled my cable, both because money's tight and because I realized most of what I watch anymore is on The CW and I can stream it for free. So I guess I'll be seeing all the Arrowverse stuff the day after from now on. (As far as non-CW shows go, I'll have to look into other options like maybe Amazon Prime, or just wait until they get to Netflix or DVD.)

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you have a digital tuner, you can still watch the CW and the other networks for free.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Its what I did, I have no issue watching stuff a day later. Even for Agents of Shield, which is a week later is no problem. Now remembering to actually watch stuff is a problem.

8. Jayson1

Walking Dead is the only thing I watch live anymore and not even all the time. Jason

9. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Try one of those cheap flat antennas (your tv will require a built in digital tuner or set top model). My cousin bought a couple of $12 ones and to my surprise, they worked just fine. Of course reception varies by your location, but if you're in a big city or your home in a good place, you may be lucky enough to pick up the local stations and their digital sub channels, which carry digital networks like the sci fi based Comet, MeTv, Heroes and Icons, and Grit Tv.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

That is not a change for the CW. It has been their model since their contract with Netflix was changed a few years ago. They keep four or five weeks of programming available so you are more free to watch at your convenience. And Netflix still posts the full season a week following the broadcast of the season finale. Last year I watched the Roswell show on Netflix and this year I will probably watch Nancy Drew that way--still haven't gotten around to watching Riverdale though.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't. I still have an old CRT television. Once my finances improve, I'll probably buy one of those smart TV things so I can watch Netflix etc. on it.

I know that. I've occasionally watched shows on their website in the past when I missed them on live TV for some reason. But giving up cable is a change for me.

12. Jayson1

Do you have family or friends who might share their password? Plus you can do endless free trials. Jason

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

That doesn't appear like a sound business model.

14. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Toward the end of the most recent episode, Kelly revealed she is allergic to cats. Judging by Alex's non-reaction, I think the producers missed an opportunity here.

What they should have done is have Alex reveal a (heretofore unmentioned) passionate desire to have cats. Now she is forced to make a wrenching choice: Kelly or cats? She loves Kelly, but cats have been her lifelong dream.

In the end, of course, the only decision Alex can make is ... cats. The show could get endless emotional mileage out of this. The tearful goodbye with Kelly, who leaves after assuring Alex she will make a wonderful crazy cat lady down the street. Kara's sisterly support and encouragement, as she movingly insists that Alex can have it all, including cats. Alex looking up cat videos on the Internet, smiling wistfully at their antics and gently touching the computer screen as a minor-key pop song plays.

So yeah, way to fuck up, producers. :rolleyes:

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The CatCo drama is boring AF.

Also: Clark Kent using his superpowers to complete assignments on time has been a thing for decades. Why is Kara so late to that party? She should never be late handing anything in, unless her powers are on the fritz. :sigh:

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Remember that Superman has always been a dick. Supergirl follows the rules--cheating was probably very stressful on her psyche.

17. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Completing a job assignment faster because you can isn't cheating.

Dick Whitman, TREK_GOD_1 and Tosk like this.
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would also be making up for the time she'd be spending as Supergirl saving people. If that's cheating, then so is having a secret identity. It's not like she'd be using her superpowers to win the lottery.

19. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus journalism is not just a paycheck for her, but another way to help people. Doing it to the maximum of her ability is just an extension of using her powers for good.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Remember Cara is in an open plan office environment, unless she works the midnight hours people are gonna notice her super-speed through her work.