Spoilers Supergirl - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 20, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was a really weird song choice for that whole sequence.

This was definitely not one of the better episode, the stuff with J'Onn's brother was OK, but the rest was kind of meh. The relationship drama with Brainy and Nia, and Alex and Kelly just wasn't that interesting, and I don't like that they seem to be going full on villain with Lena.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Supergirl
    Season 5 / Episode 3- "Blurred Lines"

SG/Kara: SG - Day shooting down her interest in the death should not have prompted her to x-ray his heart rate. She would only think to do that if she had a stronger reason to think he was connected in ways he's not revealing.

She so desperate to be "bestest friends ever" with Lena, that broke into a government facility, as her nervous reply to James indicated she was planning to do. Aside from that being an utterly lawless act, she has to know any strange break in from anything superpowered (recognized as SG or not ) should reignite the anti-alien movement. Her "reasoning" for the break in was just plain wrong.

The first fight with er.."spider-woman" was okay.

Lena: Do No Harm programming--oh, yes...as Eve points out, Lena does not want a world of zombies...just better people. Classic eugenicist philosophy. Now, she's gaining access to Lex's journals...and Q-Waves which were designed to help him fight Superman. The interest was all over Lena's face about the potential for that tech.

What a master manipulator--telling Kara that the only way she can find peace is by reading Lex's journals--and knowing Kara would argue that the government only has them on a technicality--she would consider stealing the potential agent of her own destruction. Now, she has the information she sought. Yep, that Lena is a heroine above them all at this point...

Day: Okay..he's a mystery. No one knows who he's working for, as his actions just stink of an alliance outside of Rojas, and she might have been his way into a cover / reason for residency in the U.S. all to get to...?

James:
    Now he just wanders around the city, looking for something to do. Fitting, since the showrunners have treated him the same for some time.
    "When your friend's in trouble, you jump in--no matter the consequences." Some might think this is pointing to his series departure, but it was the call to action for SG to break the law.

So begins the separation of James from the series; yeah, he will be have some part in the next two episodes, but his being phased out is all too clear.

Brainy / Nia: Oh well. He struggled to the point of pushing Nia away. Brainy has no human life experience, so it might have helped him to gain relationship experience the normal way...and date others before pursuing Nia.

NOTES: Video-gamey spiders. Yikes.

SG's costume is starting to grow on me. I still wish more gold/yellow accented the S-shield, but its not too bad as a suit.

GRADE: C+.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Okay episode, if not a little dull. One thing is kind of bothering me though.

Brainy says "soul of wit" is spoken to Hamlet. But Polonius says it to Claudius and Gertrude. Brainy is precise enough to not make this mistake. So is it just a gaffe by the writers, or is it supposed to indicate he's not 'firing on all thrusters' - to quote one country doctor?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The play may have been politically rewritten, lost and recovered, or Brainiac could have been quoting a popular movie adaptation of a later edition of the play.

They speak interlac in the future, not English, so Brainiac probably didn't read the play in the original danish (joke!) like smart people do.

The world gets burned down at least once in the next thousand years?

5. CorporalClegg

Ah. He read the Scotch Tape Edition.

6. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not as boring as last week but still pretty boring. I think the problem is the show is all over the place, and seems to forget the lead character.

Plus, Supergirl was played a fool this episode, which is not what you want from the title character. What kind of person is Supergirl if she will compromise her morals and engage in outright breaking and entering for a "friend?"

It would be one thing if there was life or death on the line, or if justice required it, but she was just wrong here.

And seriously? A spider lady would give Supergirl that much trouble? First they make her ridiculously powerful, and then they dumb down her powers.

I still don't know if the writers realize that what Lena is doing is pure evil. Who is she to judge what others should think? She's playing god. I hope when this storyline comes to a head, and I hope it does before COIE, they realize that it should be about bringing Lena to justice for her crimes, and not about saving poor Lena. Lena does not deserve sympathy. She's gone full Luthor.

The other storylines just seem like the writers are just throwing the kitchen sink at unnecessary characters to give them something to do. This poetry stuff really had me wishing they would write Nia and Brainy off the show.

Better than last week, but I hope they use the COIE to change the writing team and start fresh. They won't though.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Some potent revelations about J'onn and Malefic, though I wish they'd had the budget to make them look Martian. I guess the performances come through better when they're in human form, though.

An alien made of tattoos is a weird idea, and how was it able to make its human host strong enough to hold down Supergirl by pulling on a webline? Heck, even if she were anchored to the floor, Supergirl could just tear out the floor tiles along with her. Last season she was able to lift a whole factory from the inside when stuck to its floor.

Normally, Supergirl robbing a military base for Lena would be hard to buy, but it's understandable that she'd be desperate to make amends to her friend and willing to cross that line. But I wonder why she didn't just try asking Alex to go through DEO channels to get the journals.

Yup, like last season when Lex Luthor said that an Ancient Greek writer lived 200-some years ago instead of 2000. Somebody left off a zero and nobody caught it.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because the showrunners place that "bestest friends ever" notion above all else, including realistic reactions / common sense. In particular, for a woman who spent a season breathlessly arguing that aliens can be trusted, she commited a federal offense (which would send anyone else to prison if caught and prosecuted) that proves every agument made by the opposing side.

Legally/ethically she is a criminal, and brought that on herself because her "bestest friends" fantasy reduced her to a moron who willingly bit the bait--a story that made no sense at all.

The only story benefit about the crime is that it advances Lena's evil plans with Q Waves which proves what was clear about her all along.

That is what eugenics is all about, and she has argued in favor of such experimentation for a few seasons. It is her true belief, and that is a long lived hallmark of the worst of history's evil individuals.

They realize she is evil, but you can bet she will have a completely unrealistic change of heart/11th hour moment where she uses her plans to save someone and/or have a "heroic" role in COIE (justifying Kara being an awful judge of character) which does not wipe her true nature away.

9. Kirk Prime

I really miss the way this show was in the first couple of seasons, before the writers changed over and became more interested in pushing agendas than actually writing a Supergirl series. Kara was so much more likeable then. She's not very likeable right now, and the decision to steal those journals really cements that.

And you're right about Lena being evil. I can't dispute a word of it. I just am frustrated that the writers don't seem to get what they have written. Hopefully when this plays out, it will show just that.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also why did a military base have Lex's journals in the first place?

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They confiscated everything of his all at once. And it's Lex Luthor -- you never can tell what hidden dangers might be lurking in a seemingly innocuous possession, as proven by the decoded message at the end. Supergirl should've thought of that, but she hasn't dealt with Lex as long as Superman (or Lena) has, and she was blinded by her desire to make amends to Lena.

12. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I didn't watch the 5x03 yet only some sequences on YT but I'd like to answer to Trek_GOD-1's argument about Supergirl/Kara committing a federal offense in robbing a military base and stealing Lex Luthor's agendas for Lena and hoping that this latter will answer for her actions at the end. First, yes, Supergirl broke the law but as she says herself, it will not be the first or the last time she will do it. Plus, I remind you that everyone, from J'onn J'onzz to James Olsen in passing by Alex Danvers violated the laws, not matter they were federal or not, a moment or another since the beginning of the series, even if they thought their reasons were justified (= it was to serve the good). And they have never been held responsible for their actions so why will they so,
    why would they be today?! Secondly, I'd add that Kara, Alex, J'onn, James and Lena are so close from each other that, no matter who would need a helping hand, others would do ANYTHING to help her/him even if it means acting
    illegally and Alex more than anyone, especially if her sister and now, her girlfriend was in danger and/or needed some assistance to reach something or to go somewhere.

Here, I'd say that the question is more about Lena's hold over Kara's guilt and how far this process will go (degree of disappointment/anger felt by Kara when she will find out about Lena's misbehavior when everything will be over) and the future consequences on their friendship. But hey, this is Supergirl so, let's not expect something to complex. Kara/Lena's friendship became the cement of the show since the half of season 2 and I'm pretty sure that the morale à la sauce CW, will be saved with a Lena, guilt-ridden, who will do everything in her power to correct her mistakes and a Kara too grateful to have found her Lena again... .

13. Kirk Prime

There's a difference between breaking the law for justice and and breaking the law because she wants to kiss up to a friend she lied to. Also, the two wrongs make a right defense doesn't really fly.

There are defenses to breaking the law in some cases. For example, homicide is against the law. But if the reason you do it is self defense, where you feel your life is in danger, you will not be guilty of a crime.

There is no excuse for Supergirl's actions in this episode. She was wrong. And that's a big problem with the show. Supergirl should have a moral code that would stop her from doing something so stupid.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

America, compared to Krypton is a Deadwood.

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't going to watch Season 5 because I'm significantly behind with my viewing (due to real life), but I've changed my mind and plan to go through some Season Retrospective podcasts before binging all 3 available S5 episodes ahead of Sunday.

16. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Well after to have watched this 3rd episode, I think the right title would have been "Hypocrisy" or "False Pretense" than "Blurred Lines".

Between Lena, J'onn, Nia and William Dey, we are well served/completely immersed in lies, deceptions and
    hypocritical attitude at the risk of tiring viewers. Besides, the best proof that something is wron since the beginning of this season is that audiences are slowly but surely falling and as the episodes until the next crossover have already been shot, there is no possibility to correct the direction already taken.

- J'onn's storyline, although intriging ends to be boring. Plus, since the last episode, it hurt the well-established reputation of his character, the one of a man incapable of coping with the hard reality of his action and who in addition, doesn't hesitate to drag in the spiral an innocent and very sensitive young woman in the person of Nia).
    - Lena's storyline, which continues to completely destroy her character (even if I can understand her bitterness and hurt after the betrayal she suffered from her best friend for 3 years, her reaction is exaggerated, unsafe and worst dangerous for her and for people around) -> writers spent a long time to show how Lena was more than just being a Luthor and now, she acts as badly as her brother and mother... even if her motivations are different ;
    - Nia/Brainy's relationship which was supposed to provide some cuteness and humour but instead, tends to annoy viewers. That being said, Nia cannot ask to Brainy to be himself one day and later reproaches him to act in excess , especially if he was never taught to do so) ;
    - As for William Dey's storyline, it is as annoying as useless (as his character).

Anyway, keeping secrets tend to promote the problem instead of resolving it. That and the lack of communication.

Next to that:
    - Some people think Kara goes against her moral for Lena..., maybe but she is not aware of it and then as James told her: For a friend, we are ready to do anything to help her/him.
    - I was surprised to see that civilians could also easily enter the morgue to see a body/read the autopsy report. And all that without being supervised by a doctor!
    - About James Olsen, I note that a woman who had undergone intense military training, has been able to put KO the Guardian before injecting him her poison. He who used to feel invincible in his Guardian's suit, he surely didn't see her coming with her fists and her footwork!
    -> I read that the next episode will be the last with Mehcad Brooks/James Olsen. FINALLY. Seriously, I ended to pity the actor

And to end, I wanted to make a small correction: In a sequence, Lena refers to rue Serret which would give an overlooking on the Champs-Elysées. That is all wrong! Rue Serret is in XVth (15ième) arrondissement of Paris, while "the most beautiful avenue in the world", is in the VIIIth (8ième) arrondissement =>
    a little more than 4 kilometers / 15 minutes between both adresses. Without forgetting that you have to cross the Seine and
    knowingly, this is not the best place to buy pastries like pains au chocolat! ;)

[​IMG]

17. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

18. CorporalClegg

I stopped reading after the author equates what Lena did to Eve with Kara locking up Lord in season one.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I was quite amused by the very visible Canada Post mailboxes outside Catco as Kara and James are chatting. They’ve usually not been so careless about set decor.

20. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Indeed. I was surprised too AND very amused by this little detail but hey, it does not equal the Starbuck cups put on the table in GoT, right?! :hugegrin:

[​IMG]