Stupid Stuff in TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by gakelly, Mar 4, 2019.

1. gakelly

gakelly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In Unification, the Romulans send out 3 ships with, as LaForge says, "over 2,000 Romulan troops," as an invasion force to conquer Vulcan. I am pretty sure 2,000 troops wouldn't really be able to take over a planet. Could you imagine another country trying to invade and conquer the U.S.A. with 2,000 troops? The invasion force wouldn't stand a chance.

2. Discofan

Discofan Vice Admiral Commodore

I guess they only need to take control of the planet's defenses. The governments will have no choice but to cooperate or face destructions on a planetary scale. Think of it as a hostage situation: You comply or I'll kill as many hostages as needed until you do.

3. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

The Royale.

Riker has immediate recall that the years there were 52 state are 2033-2079.

How many of you instantly know the years the flag had 33 stars?

4. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

I figured it was the Enterprise exploding that triggered some space stuff in the rift that causes the reset.

5. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sometimes people remember the most uncanny things.

6. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

I think you are misinterpreting that scene. Bevery's reaction was more about Picard tone toward her son and its timing, than being asked off the bridge. But you are right, the episode had a lot of awful dialogue.

So? It's not that much of a stretch that Riker studied someone liked Sarek when he was in the Academy. Just because you can't name one doesn't mean he couldn't. There are lot of good examples in this thread. This isn't one of them.

Mojochi likes this.
  7. Discofan

I know someone who can identify any of the rivers in the world that are connected to a sea, meaning not their tributaries, just by seeing its shape (without the rest of the map), even if it's upside down! It's completely useless but amazing nevertheless.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, this would be more akin to people remembering when the flag went from 48 to 50, which quite a few people have down pat.

A change that applies till 2079 might well be the last: the US is gone by 2150 at the very latest, and supposedly the first mergers of this United Earth business preceded this very last possible joining date, perhaps by some margin. I could well see the US being at the forefront of a movement so influential that it eventually eliminates all national governments; it would want to be, in order to dictate the terms.

Riker would be saying "Well, this is the last US flag, the one everybody is familiar with. I just happen to know when it was first adopted", which is pretty mundane.

That is, if he ever said that. But the whole premise here is of course false, because it's Data who comes up with the years. All Riker ever says is "American". And this only on the second occurrence of the flag, on Richey's spacesuit rather than on the piece of debris.

Timo Saloniemi

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Bozeman wasn't trapped in the loop for 90 years. It jumped forward in time by that amount.

Indeed, they couldn't have been trapped for that long. The Enterprise was only trapped for, what, a few days? And the deja vu was already setting in. The crew of the Bozeman would have gone space-crazy if they had been stuck there for 90 years.

ThankQ likes this.
  10. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

While 1959 started with 48 starts and ended with 50, the flag didn't go from 48 to 50. There was a short period of a few months when the flag had 49 stars. That's rare, but not as rare as the 47-star flag which flown for less than a month.

It's actually pretty interesting. I researched that for my previous post and fell into one of these google rabbit holes.

Yes, I did research for a one-off TBBS post. I'm ready for my @Locutus of Bored merit badge, now.

11. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or like GB after it lost its superpower status after WW2 begged to join the new big guys.. the EEC. If there are no superpowers after the Star Trek WW3 the humans who remember the old days, (people like us) will all be dead, a new generation would have a different way of thinking in the USA and elsewhere. Anyway has Star Trek have stated Earth's nation states no longer exist?

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 5:01 PM
  12. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

Space-crazy? Please, what is this, Discovery? Non-Linear Temporal Dementia Syndrome.

13. Discofan

You have to admit the whole story doesn't hold much to scrutiny. The Bozeman would have first to jump 90 years ahead of time and then be caught in a loop of the exact same duration as the one Enterprise was in... How the hell does that work!!! Plus the Bozeman didn't explode as she hit the Enterprise... So why would it be caught in the exact same loop as the other one? That doesn't make sense. No matter how you look at it.

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By them too reliving the same half day
    The only issue with it not exploding is in how the loop manifests itself for them. It could be as simple as a reset. Nobody on Enterprise has any concrete recollection of the ship exploding, moments afterward. Nobody on the Bozeman would likely have any, moments after the near miss that resulted in the reset. I'm not seeing the issue with it

15. Discofan

Plus it also means that the crew of the Bozeman were a bunch of idiots because there was not one person left on Enterprise who didn't have a very strong feeling of Deja Vu to the point of guessing what was going to happen (e. g. what cards each person would get)... So what was wrong with the people on the Bozeman, not enough protein?

16. grendelsbayne

grendelsbayne Commodore Commodore

Nothing. Deja vu is useless without a way to act on it. The Bozeman had the bad luck of not having their own Data aboard.

17. Discofan

Even without Data, pretty much everyone was conscient that they were caught in a time loop. The captain of the Bozeman was completely clueless.

18. grendelsbayne

grendelsbayne Commodore Commodore

No, some of them were and we have no idea if he was or not.

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as we can tell, the older ship was in the loop for the same number of times, but only a fraction of the time. For her, each loop was just minutes long (the minutes in the 24th century - there would have been no looping in the 23rd). By all rights, getting the same sort of deja vu that Crusher got ought to have been flat out impossible.

Timo Saloniemi

20. saladdays

saladdays Commander Red Shirt

The crew wasn't all conscious of that. We undoubtedly did not see every loop, and there were loops where they didn't even get to the point where they thought there was something amiss (other than instances of deju vu and such).

Also, there wasn't enough interaction with the captain of the Bozeman to really know what he thought.