Stupid Stuff in TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by gakelly, Mar 4, 2019.

1. gakelly

gakelly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After almost causing cataclysmic destruction to the galaxy through their time experiment, Data saves the day. Most of the scientists from the experiments die, and after the crew manages to save Dr. Manheim, he says something along the lines of "we have to go back and keep trying with these experiments...."
    I would have beamed him into outer space after he suggested that. You nearly destroyed civilization and you want to keep messing around? But Picard agrees and smiles.

That's my contribution to stupid stuff in TNG.

Stephen Belaire and Nakita Akita like this.
  2. MAGolding

MAGolding Captain Captain

Maybe Picard was just being polite since he knew it wasn't up to him to decide whether Manheim's program continued to be funded. Picard may have thought that the Federation Science council or Starfleet would probably forbid further experiments as being too dangerous, but agreed with Manheim so as not to be the one to predict bad news ahead of time.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  3. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

"Datalore"

Lore dressed as Data telling Picard that if they perhaps beam a large object out, like a tree, and destroy it, it will prove their might.

Goddamn that has to be one of the worst scenes of the whole show -- and that's competing with "Sub Rosa"!

Greysun and Cutie McWhiskers like this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

In Conundrum. They have the ability to erase everyone’s memory across every species including Data, read and manipulate the computer records, without any side effects.

But their weapons technology is centuries behind.

Brass and ThankQ like this.
  5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tasha' s drugs are bad speech. The cringe is strong with it.

6. at Quark's

at Quark's Commodore Commodore

Picard has to speak an greeting in a tongue-breaking alien language and get it exactly right, otherwise diplomatic relations won't be opened (silly idea, not to mention his attempt sounds very silly)…

7. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been a while since I watched this episode, partly because of the wierdness mentioned here, but..
    Am I forgetting something? Why didn't Satarrans just take over the ship? Why didn't Kieran make himself the captain? And so on, during this episode all these questions pop up so I like to skip it.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the drama of the episode but the premise is a real stretch.

Same deal with Cause and Effect. No, if turning back caused the accident how did it happen the first time?

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

TNG S1 - "Code Of Honor":

Really? I hope these people don't have aircraft, tall buildings or people climbing mountains.:rommie:

10. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

Data has to "access", \which I guess means move from hard drive to RAM, definitions to common words like "snoop" and "hooey". Not only should he already know these words, but I can look up a word faster than he can access, and that includes unlocking my phone.

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

How about Riker being alive after Armus swallows him? They even have a shot where Riker’s mouth is open and full of that black goop! Riker should be dead, unless Armus was supplying oxygen somehow (besides making Riker trying to breath like a fish).

12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know. Picard would be in big trouble if that happened. It would mean NO VACCINE for them.

Jason

GeorgeKirk and penguin44 like this.
  13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

S2 - Peak Performance

Picard's log entry talks about how he has "consented" to Enterprise taking part in a training exercise. Is this really how Starfleet is being run?

Admiral - Captain, your ship will be taking part in a fleet training exercise next week. You know, if you're not too busy or something.

Captain: Well, okay I'll consent to that. Even though it's a wargame and I don't like that sort of thing even thought I'm part of the first line of dense for the Federation.

Admiral: That's just swell. Thanks!

14. MAGolding

MAGolding Captain Captain

Possibly there are two different sets of "they" involved.

It could be like a fantasy story where someone makes a genie grant him a wish or makes a deal with the devil. Someone gets a more powerful supernatural being to do something for him that he couldn't do for himself. If you replace supernatural beings with more advanced aliens, maybe the Satarrans made some sort of arrangement with more advanced aliens to erase everyone's memories on the powerful starship Enterprise to use it in their war.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  15. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data and Joe Piscopo on the holodeck.

Nothing comes close.

Nothing.

16. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Maybe Armus is like that breathable liquid (think "The Abyss").

Oh, how about Data and the finger trap! I can imagine how that would work out on "The Orville":

Bortus: "What is this?"
    Gordon: "It's a Chinee finger trap. You see, you put a finger in each end. I know, it sounds dirty, but it's not. Go ahead."
    Bortus sticks the fingers in.
    Bortus: "Now what?"
    Gordon: "Now you're stuck. If you try to--"
    RIP! Bortus simply rips it in half.
    Bortus: "Now I am free. This supposed trap was poorly executed."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  17. Herbert

Herbert Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Umm, Armus was keeping him alive. How I don't know. We don't know the extent of its powers. However, it's pretty obvious Armus was keeping him alive in order to continue his twisted game.

18. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

"The Klingon Imperial Empire."

Kor

19. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

A Matter of Time (season 5): when confronted by a guy claiming to be a time-traveler from the future, Picard declares that he has "examined his credentials" and concluded he's telling the truth. Huh!? What sort of credentials could/would/should a time traveler from the future be able to provide that could be verified in any way? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Markonian and ThankQ like this.
  20. spaul00

spaul00 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah. It's a shame because I actually really like this episode. The premise is interesting. But - yeah - that's a major plot problem.