• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Spoilers Strange New Worlds General Discussion Thread

  • Thread starter NewHeavensNewEarth
  • Start date
I'm from the middle of England, I was raised by my dad who's from Glasgow. I didnt get either accent I got some freakish hybrid accent that sounds like neither.
 
It's not just code switching. 40+ years in AZ have stripped most of my SW PA accent, but it still comes out when I'm talking to relatives back there.
I grew up (until age 13) in places like Texas, with parents from Tennessee. California has stripped the Southern from me. But on family trips to Texas and Tennessee I'd return to Cali with and accent. My wife who's lived in California her entire life, went to Alabama to visit an aunt, somehow returned with a Southern accent.:lol:
 
It's called code switching.
Code switching is usually a deliberate thing that you can turn on and off. People who speak a patois or a vernacular dialect will often switch fluently back and forth between it and the more "official" language(s) at will. It's a conscious strategy for putting people at ease in different settings.

Assimilating to the prevailing accent wherever you are -- especially in situations where you feel a social pressure to do so -- is much more of a subconscious thing. I suspect a pattern like the one Dennis describes is more reflective of the comfort of being at home in that person's surroundings vs. not feeling (as much) at home.

I suppose those are kind of on a continuum of similar phenomena with similar basic utility. But I think they're at different enough points on that continuum to be distinct things.
 
Last edited:
Code switching is usually a deliberate thing that you can turn on and off. People who speak a patois or a vernacular dialect will often switch fluently back and forth between it and the more "official" language(s) at will. It's a conscious strategy for putting people at ease in different settings.

Assimilating to the prevailing accent wherever you -- especially in situations where you feel a social pressure to do so -- is much more of a subconscious thing. I suspect a pattern like the one Dennis describes is more reflective of the comfort of being at home in that person's surroundings vs. not feeling (as much) at home.

I suppose those are kind of on a continuum of similar phenomena with similar basic utility. But I think they're at different enough points on that continuum to be distinct things.
One of my old girlfriends was African-American. I've seen and heard her code-switch. I have to admit I went "huh?" the first time she did it,
 
I definitely sound more "mountain" or Virginia around other Southern people with pronounced drawls, and less so when I'm around people from other parts of the U.S. or world. I'm way more Southern around friends and family with strong accents.
 
Because I lived in so many different states (I attended 6 different schools by 8th grade) due to being a service dependent, my accent is unplaceable.

Plus my hearing loss affects it, too.

One guy in college said I sounded South African or from Johannesburg (lololol) even tho I'd never set foot on the African continent.
 
My West Virginia accent intensified by at least 50 percent when we moved to a small town and I was going to school with classmates who woke at 3 am to go hunting before school. Now I live in the Netherlands and my family doesn't think I even sound American anymore. Even most Dutch people think I sound Dutch, only just strange enough that they always guess I'm from a different province.

My mother was the same only ridiculously fast. She would subconciously go from standard mid atlantic to deep southern drawl after five minutes in a room with a southerner.
 
I started a TOS rewatch a couple of weeks ago. Just got to 'What Are Little Girls Made Of' and it's pretty cool after watching SNW.

I'd never noticed that Uhura hugs Chapel in the teaser just before she and Kirk beam down, and there's another couple of extras on the bridge looking delighted for her. It obviously has a much deeper meaning now.
 
I started a TOS rewatch a couple of weeks ago. Just got to 'What Are Little Girls Made Of' and it's pretty cool after watching SNW.

I'd never noticed that Uhura hugs Chapel in the teaser just before she and Kirk beam down, and there's another couple of extras on the bridge looking delighted for her. It obviously has a much deeper meaning now.
My general sense when watching TOS is that SNW has improved it with all that they've explored. I can't see those people the same way, nor would I want to.
 
My general sense when watching TOS is that SNW has improved it with all that they've explored. I can't see those people the same way, nor would I want to.
I don't know if I'd say it's improved, but I think they compliment each other really well. This episode also has the first reference to Sam Kirk and his family.

It's the same with DISCO's Lethe, which added a really interesting spin and additional depth to Journey to Babel.

Looking forward to seeing Amok Time again with all I've learned about T'Pring.
 
imagine if there was star trek strange new world movies like how there was the original series movies and next generation movies

althought i wonder why they never made any star trek movies from both deep space nine and voyager
Too many viewers would be confused by a DS9 movie, and Voyager without the iconic characters. They won't make enough profit without the less than casual fans and normal people....
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top