Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have read that book. I also have a friend demanding we see the final movie tomorrow, to which I will probably cave. Because I enjoy having stupid and unnecessary things like ‘a social life.’

So trust me when I say that I wish Fifty Shades ended that way!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally went to the theater(for the first time in many moons) to see The Last Jedi. My daughter had a Marcus gift card from her teacher, but when we arrived she wanted to see "The Greatest Showmen" instead. So we saw that.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, if Lucasfilm decides that Leia died off-screen prior to Episode IX, then he'll be the solo Skywalker. :(

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Who the fuck cares? It's about lineage, not names.​

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, there is another...

6. Hela

1. It was my post that you were correcting bud. It’s my context.

2. Oh, isn’t it a pity that we couldn’t have avoided this by... someone not ‘actually-ing’ a playing on a double entendre, that was also seperate to the overall point.

But ya did. And now ya suffer.

Here’s a hint for future reference: If i’m referring to Gungan harems and possible marriages to former Playschool presenters, it might be a hint that that a post may not be entirely rooted in a place of ‘deadly Serious Business(tm).’ Just mostly rooted in it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Greylock Crescent likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, first of all I really, really don't appreciate being accused of being racist. My issues have nothing whatsoever to do with race, I would feel exactly the same way if he was white. I would also have no problem with it if they did get together, I just don't think it has to happen. A lot of people seem to be acting like they have to be together, and that some horrendous crime against humanity has been commited by not getting them together, and that is what I disagree with.
    It's just that every time we see a man and woman become friends, people start acting like something is wrong if they don't start banging like horny rabbits or something, and I think it would be nice to see a man and a woman just stay friends.

ichab and fireproof78 like this.
  10. fireproof78

This...a 1000x times this!

ichab likes this.
  11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree

12. Tuskin38

13. Tuskin38

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, because the twisted idea of Rey being with a character who was a psychotic killer from the start (there's no "fall" from any moral identity for Ren) is preferable to the lone black male who has been reduced to a clown now unnaturally linked to Rose.

For a traditionalist creation like Star Wars...yes. That's what made the OT/PT work.

But that guy is not Obi-Wan. He's one of the few morally upright characters in the OT or PT.

No worries.

Padme had her duty, but that did not mean she did not have other feelings or desires. As with anyone, it take the right person to bring that out in another, and for Padme, it was Anakin.

Nonsense. There are some SW/fantasy fans who created endless, hollow excuses why Finn & Rey (the only characters with true chemistry in this ST) should not be together, but aggressively argue Rey should be with Ren and/or Poe--for no good reason. That lack of any legitimate justification is an age-old resentment of a white female romantically involved with a black male.

Bull. This is a trilogy and its two films in, so the point:

There's no defending this calculated crap; Kathleen Kennedy, et al., created the paper thin Rose only to give some "excuse" why the natural chemistry brought to a white female character and black male character would be kicked to the curb, then yes--buried--while trying to suggest some connection between Rey and a homicidal dictator, or some other man she does not know at all.

Again--the Star Wars traditional fairy tale format used in two completed trilogies . This is not some other series where any random crap just happens, or change occurs for the hell of it. Romance is one of the central motivators in those trilogies, not a minor, expendable matter. This should be apparent to anyone knowing how Star Wars films (in the complete trilogies) work.

15. fireproof78

This needs to change.
    Didn't work in the PT at all.
    No, he is a liar, a manipulator, and a murderer.
    The only justification I need is that Rey does not NEED a romance. It is tired, worn out trope, that needs to change.

ichab likes this.
  16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm more curious about the toys where the Silencer has the white-on-black color of the other First Order TIEs, rather than the Empire-style black-on-gray coloring in the actual movie.

17. Hela

You weren’t convinced by Obi-Wan and Anakin’s eternal star-crossed romance?

The declarations of love. The moments of common affection, and jokes that are only amusing because of a shared and personal history. The...heated stares.

Like Othello and Desdemona, they were. If Desdemona was a bit faster draw on the hacking and slashing.

18. fireproof78

It almost worked in ROTS, but was definitely uninspired in the first two. Third movie couldn't make up for such deficiencies.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That's the thing about the PT: a lot of solid ideas that are there if you pay attention, but they're mostly still let down by the execution.

The more time goes on, the more I'm convinced that the fundamental error Lucas made with the PT was in trying to fit the story he wanted to tell into the same swashbuckling adventure format he used for the OT. The material just doesn't lend itself to it very well.

Jar Jar wasn't the source of a problem, he was a symptom. Trying to compensate for a very dry and humourless narrative by burdening a single character with all the lighthearted comedy to keep the 8 year olds from falling asleep in the second act.

20. Tuskin38