Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Luke didnt have a romance. Neither did Kenobi, Boba Fett, Lando or many other male characters. The idea that every female character has to have one is frankly sexist.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Totally agree - it's just a tired 'damsel in distress' load of rubbish. Let the characters stand on their own two feet.

ichab and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But Rey was given a romantic interest in TLJ.
    Fans get excited about potential romances for their favorite characters, be it male or female. There's nothing sexist about it, if that word even carries meaning anymore...

Most(and by most, I mean "Almost every single") movies about a single main male protagonist feature a love interest. Luke has had many in the books, including the new books which are supposed to carry equal weight with the films.

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't say it was romantic in TFA. It seemed more platonic to me - two people who were thrown into a situation.

It's not necessarily sexist per se to have the female lead always shoved into a romantic subplot. It's just predictable and fucking boring.

T'Bonz likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't care. Don't freaking care. In the films, Luke didn't have a romantic interest, so maybe, just maybe, a lead female could just be her own character! It is sexist if a female lead must have a romantic interest, but a male lead could carry a whole film without ending up with a partner.

Seriously! This isn't that hard.

ichab likes this.
  8. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. No they don’t.

2. Yeah. And Legends handled Luke’s romances so well. Especially with how it treated the female characters within them. How very convincing.

3. No they weren’t.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but nobody seriously expected her to be able to get BB-8 to settle down and get into a monogamous relationship. That cat will forever be a free spirit!

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Rey can't expect nuthin' from BB-8. She knows how he rolls.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they were. It's always the same: franchise owner says "this is what's canon", internet says "screw you".

12. Tuskin38

The French titles for the deleted scenes are a bit more descriptive.
    • "Alternative start" (Alternate Opening)
    • "Paige in difficulty" (Paige’s Gun Jams)
    • "Contemplation" (Luke Has a Moment)
    • "Bad dressmaker" (Poe: Not Much of a Sewer)
    • "Holographic Reminder " (It’s Kind of Weird That You Recorded That)
    • "Angry Guards " (The Caretaker Sizes Up Rey)
    • "Rescue " (Caretaker Village Sequence)
    • "Pursuit in fathiers" (Extended Fathier Chase)
    • "Intrusion into the mega destroyer" (Mega Destroyer Incursion – Extended Version)
    • "Rose rebels" (Rose Bites the Hand That Taunts Her)
    • "Finn and Phasma" (Phasma Squealed Like a Whoop Hog)
    • "Return of mission" (Rose & Finn Go To Where They Belong)
    • "Rey and Chewie in the Falcon" (Rey & Chewie in the Falcon)
    • "The costumes and creatures of Canto Bight " (The Costumes and Creatures of Canto Bight)

13. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Misread my post, you may have.

1. How many can you name that don't? Frodo Baggins?
    2.Nonetheless, he had a bunch of romances, many quite popular. The main one is one of the most popular characters in Star Wars, and got her own action figures.
    3. YES, Luke has now had romances in "official canon."

So, who are you calling sexist, the fans who speculate, or the producers who insinuate? As I just said in my post, fans speculating about their favorite characters potential romantic interests just shows their investment in the character. I can prove this, as I personally do not care what Rey does with her life, where she works, or who she dates.

It has nothing to do with gender, it's not wrong, and it's not any "fan's" fault. Calling it sexist is frickin' ridonkulous.

Seriously, this isn't that hard.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Frodo had Sam

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speculation is one thing. Demanding that the one female character have a romance because the lead female has always had a romance in Star Wars is sexist.

16. Hela

Nope. Franchise owner said ‘Movies are canon in the books. Books aren’t canon in the movies.’ It’s an official canon, not ‘the.’

Cerasi, on the view prior to the Legends reset:
    And Allan Kausch and Sue Rostoni in 1994, on the original approach to Legends:

Incidentally, the new Disney books + the movies are supposably all canon with each other. For now, at least. And Luke has fucked exactly nobody yet, just groped a few space cows.

What, from the movies I’ve watched over the last week?

1. The Ritual (that new Netflix one.)
    2. The Relic (the 90’s movie.)
    3. Lego Batman.
    4. The remake of the Magnificent Seven. Sorta. One of the main characters has a flirtation of the only female named character, but that leaves seven other male leads (8 including the villain) who don’t. If you only count Chrisholm and Faraday as the leads, that’s 1/2 without a romance,​

But whilst we’re on Tolkien, how about we try ‘every dude in the Hobbit not named ‘Kili.’’ Unless we count Thorin/Bilbo, which I wouldn’t exactly discount if somone really wanted to push it.

And the only movies I’ve seen lately with a primary females lead are Fifty Shades Of Grey and Annihilation. Yeah....the last one was good, but it didn’t exactly buck a trend. It actually further conformed to it when compared to its source material. Which is all I’m saying about it, because I want people to go watch it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everything I've seen has said that everything, the movies, books, comics, video games, ect. is equal.

19. Hela

If you’ve got a source for that, feel free. The ‘tier’ system has certainly changed multiple times over the years, and there’s been a few attempts at ‘exceptions’ to the ‘movies stand alone at the top’ rule (for eg. Force Unleashed and Shadow of the Empire were all intended to be equal at one point.)

But as far as I’ve been able to find, it was always a tier. At times, a stupidly complicated tier (A-G ‘levels’ of canonocity? Seriously?) That is, until Disney got their hands on it.

Which makes me really curious where Battlefront now fits in. Because it’s practically the only SW vidya game out yet, and well...how could it possibly fit in anywhere? Do you know how many times I’ve had a weirdly-American Krennic win the Battle of Scarif? :lol:

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember any specific sources, I just remember hearing it a lot when Disney took over.
    As for the video games, what I remember hearing is that the lore is canon, while the specific gameplay elements aren't.
    With story driven games, like BF2's single play campaign, the story is canon.

A new rumor has popped up saying that the TFA novelization will canonize Luke being married, although it doesn't appear to actually identify his wife.
    According to CBR the rumor is that this is the first line of the TFA novelization.
    If this is true, then it does raise some interesting questions about what exactly happened to Luke between Return of the Jedi and TFA.
    And just to prevent a debate, yes I still believe that Kylo Ren was telling the truth in TFA and Rey's parents really were nobodies.