Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x10 - "A Quality of Mercy"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, Jul 6, 2022.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

59.2%
  2. 9

20.9%
  3. 8

10.0%
  4. 7

4.8%
  5. 6

1.3%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

1.3%
  8. 3

0.3%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.3%
  1. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

An SNW Maroon! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kirk commands the Farragut

[​IMG]

Spock should've raised both eyebrows :D
    Kirk is not very Kirkish at all...
    Farragut is NCC-1647

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why does only Uhura wear a TOSish uniform?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Romulan commander is a Northerner, and their 2266 symbol is very similar to the one in TNG. And they use Romulan sounds! :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

15 minutes in and I'm already feeling the Spinal Tap 11. In this.

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn’t a Farragut a Connie? Also why are the phasers JJVerse style?

Deledrius, Markonian and Belz... like this.
  4. trek.

trek. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

omg not me fangirling over the updated TWOK uni... I guess I am staying up to watch this hour long one then

JRob94 likes this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Hmmm... Good premise, but still taking this in. I was going to watch this in the morning, but I'm glad I decided to watch it overnight instead.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And look at the colour scheme of the bridge, it matches the publicity photo they released when they announced him.

JRob94 likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The class was never mentioned in TOS

777, Saul, Leto_II and 8 others like this.
  8. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

That's just crazy enough to work...

lawman and 777 like this.
  9. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

That would actually be pretty damned awesome!

lawman likes this.
  10. Airmandan

Airmandan Captain Captain

damn excellent episode

Ketrick, Skipper and Athena28 like this.
  11. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Love that they still have their 'towels' :D

[​IMG]

The Rommie fleet

[​IMG]

Pretty powerful stuff at the end - he accepted his fate and stopped changing it to save Spock!
    That's also why Spock cares so much about saving him afterwards by bringing him to Talos!

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s a weird that the Praetor is leading the fleet. That would be like the President of the Federation leading Starfleet

lawman likes this.
  13. Airmandan

I'll be honest, got pretty giddy seeing the SNW take on the Maroon.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It was pretty great to see again. Had to love the creaky leather in it.

JRob94 likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's one iffy looking Wrath of Khan uniform... like, don't they of all people have the patterns for the actual thing? Nice for a "ghost of Christmas future" thing, though.

Also this looks very much like the plot of one of the Early Voyages comics. Looking forward to seeing it in a couple months.

Mogh, Deledrius, Saul and 2 others like this.
  16. Ralph O Ward III

Ralph O Ward III Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not so strange in a military dictatorship. Many dictators take direct command of the military.

nightwind1, SolarisOne, PT109 and 2 others like this.
  17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This episode was incredible. I loved how they used the Balance of Terror scenario and changed it up that it wasn't a direct copy cat but still made it really tense. The Romulans have finally been redeemed from Picard back to the way they were prior to Nemesis, because I loved everything about the Romulans in this episode. This gave me great "The Defector" (One of my favorite TNG episodes) vibes, mainly for the interactions between Pike and the Romulan commander. Also, this episode did a much better job explaining the Tapestry to life than "Tapestry" did. Over the years, I have come to hate Tapestry a little because I refuse to believe Picard not wanting to be stabbed in the heart meant the end of his dreams to be captain. Leadership is a lifetime of experiences, not one point in time. This episode came out and said that because Pike chose a different fate than what he agreed with, it meant dire consequences for the people around him and the Federation. It took us on a step by step journey of that discovery, and I finally understand what the whole "Tapestry of life" thing means.

As for the ending with Una, let's just say Strange New Worlds ended the same way Lower Decks ended. I now will have two episodes to compare to see how each did their own version of Prison Braak. That's exciting.

I was actually hoping for a trailer to a new season of either Lower Decks or Prodigy tonight. It looks like Paramount Plus really is taking a few weeks off of new Trek showings. I guess that's good, but I am looking forward to Lower Decks returning.

18. Airmandan

Probably a reinterpretation/modernization to go with the current uniform styles. I wonder if that timeline skipped the horrible TMP jumpsuits? I was really hoping we’d somehow get a glimpse of a refit in there as well.

JRob94 and Admiral Archer like this.
  19. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry but the first 50 minutes of this is nonsensical. They don't tie the delta radiation accident to the Romulan War at all, only that Kirk needed to be in command of the Enterprise at 2266 which... he really would've been already anyway once Pike gets his promotion to Fleet Captain, which still has nothing to do with the specific radiation accident. This is even acknowledged at the end with Future Pike making some handwavium comment about how *anything* Pike does to avert his accident will get Spock killed or crippled.

From what I can tell, Pike can just hand over the Enterprise to Kirk before 2266, still avert his accident by telling the cadets not to gather, and everything would be the same as in TOS.

Also I suppose we can forget Bob Orci's theory that Kirk and Spock already knew each other from Kirk's cheating of the Kobayashi Maru, as they don't seem familiar with each other here.

The only portion of this episode that made an impact was Una's arrest. The Federation sure is ruthless. I guess we know why Pike's girlfriend isn't around in the Menagerie now.

Mogh, lawman, ATimson and 2 others like this.
  20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would he do that though? Kirk is (was) commanding his own ship. Pike doesn't know the events of the original series like we do. Who's to say that Kirk deserves the Enterprise and not Spock.

Leto_II and Ianburns252 like this.