Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x03 - "Ghosts of Illyria"

Hit it!

• Total voters
SNW-S1E3-2.jpg

NUMBER ONE: First Officer's Log. Supplemental. We have arrived at the biggest dumpster fire in the quadrant. Starfleet is calling it "The Burn." From our current position, it looks like it can never be extinguished. It probably began with a discarded cigarette.

SNW-S1E3-9.jpg

PIKE: It's tires. All the tires from every car ever made brought to this planet for final disposal. The Illyrians were so desperate to join the Federation they offered to take all Earth's old waste and recycle it. Instead, it became the biggest tire pile fire ever recorded. Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin...the final resting ground of all the restless souls of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. And it poisoned the atmosphere and killed them all...the poor devils...

SNW-S1E3-70.jpg

ENSIGN AT WINDOW: Major! Behold the Prophets of Bajor! They have returned to save us from the Cardassian filth!

SNW-S1E3-69.jpg

ENSIGN: You're not the Prophets of Bajor! You're Jack Dawson!

SNW-S1E3-106.jpg

HEMMER: I'm here to explain to you how we make Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. First, we pour solid milk chocolate into the moulds you see here. And then we beam the peanut butter inside them. Free samples coming right up!

Last edited:
Genetic modification is banned? You literally did it in the first episode. :)
I like their away team jackets. That’s the sort of thing I would like to own. Enterprise had one similar I liked as well.
They mean that germ line engineering is illegal. Not temp medical stuff

Just thought..
Denobulans are generic engineered.. Wonder if it's a line like, you do it for disease etc. Your okay, but if you try to improve or tweak its wrong?

I remember Soongs rant about how a total ban is wrong, as a slight genetic tweak would have helped Archers Dad with his disease.

Plus.. It's not the person's fault .. It's the parents or the civilization fault. Una or Bashir aren't at fault so they should be okay to serve.
The outright ban against Genetic Engineering because of the actions of Khan Noonien Singh is a "Over Reaction", especially in light of how other species have used Genetic Engineering for the positive.

It's outright "Bigotry" as stated by the show. We've seen good Augments / Genetically Enhanced people. To categorically lump everybody in there with a "Full Ban" is Bigoted, stupid, and wasteful.

Look at all the Good that Dr. Bashir has done because he's enhanced.

Look at Phlox, Una Chin-Riley, La'an.

Countless species who would love to be enhanced.

If you analyze the Genetic Modifications, enhancing "Aggression" was a stupid idea and humanity doesn't need more of that genetic trait. We have plenty of "Aggression" as is naturally.

The engineers went too far in tweaking things and turned up the dial on certain genes that should've been left alone.

The amount of good that Genetic Engineering can do and the lives it can save if used properly is mind boggling.

It's rarely used properly...:shifty:
The Denobulans would disagree.

And the Illyrians in this episode suffered and died out because they tried to de-engineer themselves to be normal.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of genetic enhancement in the right areas.

Imagine if you could agument yourself to be better, imagine what it could do for your quality of life.

I was more quote-dropping from Ortegas than criticizing your system. While at the same time saying to do what works for you. The 1-10 system obviously works since so many use it.
It's a weird thing. It stopped working once I put a small amount of thought into it, so to me it seems like it works instinctively... and that's the weird thing, since numbers are definitely not instinctual.

I'm rambling at this point.

View attachment 27976

PIKE: "Send the following message to Starfleet Command. Pike, Enterprise. Planet Illyria has opened their new deluxe-sized Taco Bells. Estimate less than five days until the planet is uninhabitable."

View attachment 27980

HEMMER: "Well, there's your problem. The doo-hickey's thingamabob isn't doing that thing it does when you jiggle the whatzit with the you-know."

We’ve seen that in TNG when they convert the cargo bay.

And the standard sickbay complex in TNG is far larger than we ever saw on screen, according to the official Enterprise-D blueprints, with isolation labs and intensive care units and surgical suites – what we see is essentially just the chief medical officer's office and one of ten wards for patients requiring the CMO's personal attention.

The Khan of TOS has been left behind. Under that Khan, there were no massacres. Under this new Khan, there were massacres. He is described by his descendant as a mass murderer.
He was happy to murder the bridge crew to get what he wanted, starting with Kirk.

As has been demonstrated recently, it is hard for anyone to cover up massacres. There is always evidence left behind. I personally believe that the TOS writers had a different idea of what kind of dictator Khan might be.
Again he was willing to murder people in "Space Seed".

Did La'an always know Una's true heritage, or are they suggesting she found out in this episode? If the latter, she was nowhere near sickbay; how did she know (if she didn't already)?
She was in Sick Bay and knocked out Chapel.

I liked it. Some decent Federation mad science. Its time someone used the transporters for their magical properties than ignoring they can reverse aging and raise the dead.
I'm thinking we will be revisiting it in a more M'Benga centered episode. His character arc.

Similarily, the proscription on genetic alterations is odd in light of TOS, where the augments weren't seen in a bad historical light.
Did we watch the same version of "Space Seed"?
Considering how her immune system works in-episode I'd think that'd show up, yeah.
Eh, it's a TV show. Things show up when they need to show up.

Last week, they used genetic engineering to disguise themselves as an alien.
Classic case of the "Yeah, but that's different", excuse.

Not to the level they give characters on these shows. They don't all need a twist.
We aren't characters in a weekly TV series. Lost loves, unknown relatives, fatal diseases and dark secrets every Thursday.

Eh, it's a TV show. Things show up when they need to show up.
Yes, but if you start using that argument then logic and consistency are completely out the window and we never get to discuss anything.

We aren't characters in a weekly TV series.
Again, there's always a point at which people will find it too unrealistic for comfort, within the premise of the show.

The Franklin is a JJVerse thing. The ship doesn’t really work in the Prime universe with the lore they have established.

Well, there is no real confirmation, one way or another. However, we do know that the JJverse diverged the timeline around Kirk's birth, long after the Earth-Romulan War.

I mean... There's a difference between using genetic manipulation to change your appearance for a few hours and using it to make yourself mentally and physically stronger, and giving you an over-inflated ego, permanently.

Back