Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x03 - "Ghosts of Illyria"

Hit it!

• Total voters
So if the Illyrians so badly wanted to join the Federation, I guess they forgave Archer for stealing the warp coils off of one of their ships.

I always imagined Archer asking the Vulcans to intercept those poor bastards and give them a warp coil after Enterprise defeated the Xindi. Seems wrong to just leave them hanging, but then again, Archer was pretty pissed at the universe by then.

Once again, the special effects department have done wonders and put on a good representation of a ‘space storm’, but I don’t think that they know what an ion storm actually is or looks like. With all due respect I do not agree that what they produced is a true representation of an ion storm.
Ion storms don't exist, so they can pretty much make them look however they want. And when they interact with a thick atmosphere they might look different from what they're like in deep space.

No I mean that she ended up in the transporter. That was the accident I thought I heard him say. Not the disease part. That somehow her ending up in the buffer was not intentional but ended up being fortuitous. I probably misheard but wondered if anyone else heard it too. Sorry should have been more clear.

The issue with the daughter is an illness, not injury from an accident. The suspension in the transporter was done intentionally, to avoid allowing the disease to progress.

The accident was the medical transporter suspension causing the light virus to be released onto the ship.

No I mean that she ended up in the transporter. That was the accident I thought I heard him say. Not the disease part. That somehow her ending up in the buffer was not intentional but ended up being fortuitous. I probably misheard but wondered if anyone else heard it too. Sorry should have been more clear.
No, he put her there to halt the progression of the disease.

Ion storms don't exist, so they can pretty much make them look however they want. And when they interact with a thick atmosphere they might look different from what they're like in deep space.
I don’t accept that.

I know someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago but Romjin sure looks older than on DSC S2. Did she get some job done or something and it didn't work well? She looked just fine 2 years ago.

It is curious how a Vitamin D deficiency is linked to a lack of defense against the virus which is running rampant in this episode. It delivers undercurrents of contemporary viral advice that we have been given which says that we need plenty of Vitamin D if we are elderly or of an ethnic origin which prevents us from absorbing sunlight to an extent which allows us to naturally produce this vitamin in sufficient quantities, thus enabling us to support our immune system and functions at optimal levels.

I likened this to the fact that sunlight helps the body produce Vitamin D. If the virus makes people 'crave light', I figured the root cause might be a Vit-D deficiency, so that all seemed to make a bit of sense to me. Side note: when I had Covid, one thing I did was make sure I was saturated with Vit-D, and it was never much more than a case of the sniffles for me, thankfully. I did see some charts that showed your likelihood to need hospitalization was inversely proportional to your D-levels. That said, it's a strange bug that affects people differently.

The ship also went in to a ‘lockdown’ as a result of the virus in a similar way as to how our planet went in to ‘lockdown’ as a result of COVID.

That choice of words just made me cringe. I wished he would have used a different term, because it pulled me right out of the 23rd Century and straight back into this one. Apropos of the times, I guess.

I know someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago but Romjin sure looks older than on DSC S2. Did she get some job done or something and it didn't work well? She looked just fine 2 years ago.

It looks to me like she might have dropped a bit of weight. She was very baby-faced in DSC, I thought.

Sure it does. They specifically made it so it fit in the timeline of ENT (the only part of the Prime timeline that it has in common with the Kelvin one). The Warp 5 development project took a LONG time. It stands to reason that they reached it in stages. We saw part of that in one episode set in the past. I have no issue with the Franklin being the Warp 4 ship (it's also very small).
Not really. There isn’t such a thing as a warp 4 ship in the prime universe. After the warp 2 test, they went on to design the warp 5 engine. In the novelVerse, there were two competing designs. One by Henry Arch for the NX Class and the other for the Daedalus.

Before the Narada arrives in 2233 to create the offshoot timeline it IS the Prime Universe. The Franklin existed in 2164 in both timelines. I don't for a minute believe the entire Kelvin Timeline is a different continuity going both forwards in time from 2233 as well as backwards into the past. I love Simon Pegg but his theory that the Narada altered time going in both directions and the past hinted at in Beyond is just a glorified, bad fan theory and Paramount never went along with it in official publicity or canon.

It has to be. They didn't use concrete in their ships in the Prime universe. :)
Also how can Kirk be born in Riverside Iowa if she was in labour on that ship?

Not really. There isn’t such a thing as a warp 4 ship in the prime universe. After the warp 2 test, they went on to design the warp 5 engine. In the novelVerse, there were two competing designs. One by Henry Arch for the NX Class and the other for the Daedalus.
I'm going to have to ask you for a citation for a lack of intervening designs or developments between warp 2 and 5, sir.

Sense. This makes none.

Although I found the M'Benga storyline with his daughter to be a very interesting and touching one, these elements felt like they were pulled more from TNG than TOS. First, he offhandedly mentions that the Enterprise was the flagship, and then he uses the transport buffer as a makeshift stasis device. These aren't really errors, since the "flagship" could presumably change at any time and we don't know where Scotty got his transporter buffer idea from, but they did feel a little odd in a pre-Kirk era.
I doubt M'Benga would be the first person to think of Transporter Stasis after the invention of the Transporter.
I'm pretty sure somebody early on thought of it and only fairly recently with the advent of the Warp Core, did it become practical to run for a long time. But Hardware Reliability over the years is a difficult thing to measure over the span of decades given Scotty's 50% success rate.

Una's view of genetic engineering was a striking bit of writing. Instead of terraforming the planet, they're adapting themselves. That's such a clever notion that I can't recall seeing in Trek before.
I've never seen it before either in any medium that I've viewed so far.

Here, I'll go one step further: because stardates always went up by 1000 a season (even in DS9, despite the time-dilation explanation for TNG and the 1-stardate-per-day original plan), I decided that the standard UFP calendar has 333 days in a year, and 1 stardate per "shift" for starfleet officers (of 10 hours each, making the 0.1 stardate 1 hour). Hence 999 per year, with a leap day every 3 years to round it up. Makes it easy to calculate how many days and years between two stardates.

It's just the fact they use standard hours on the show that screws with my plan.

I'd prefer that they go with Metric Day & Metric Time for a (±Star Year / Star Date Unit ¦ Star Time Unit ) Star Date Notation.
1 ISO Star Year = 1 Average Gregorian Year = 365.2425 Days = 8765.82 Earth Hours
1 ISO Star Year = 1000 Star Days = 8765.82 Earth Hours
1 Star Day Unit = 1000 STU (Star Time Units)
1 Star Day = 8.76582 Earth Hrs = 525.9492 Earth Mins = 31556.952 Earth Secs = 8 Hrs, 45 Mins, 56.952 Secs
1 STU (Star Time Units) = 31.556952 Earth Seconds

The Backstory behind this was when the Star Date was born and based off the Average Gregorian Year. All the founding members in the ISO (InterStellar Standards Organization) within the newly minted UFP, which is a supersceding organization to ISO (International Standards Organization) on Earth, wanted to base the Star Year on the Average Gregorian Year on the Earth Calender. The rest of the founding members were keen to let it happen given that Humanity was the Glue that bonded all the other members together thanks to the actions of Jonathon Archer in numerous previous escapades.

But the Vulcans wouldn't let Humans have their way of arbitrarily defining everything, since the Vulcans found the Metric System to be so logical and took a keen liking to the simplicity of the system, they required that Metric Star Days and Metric Star Time be used if we're going to use the Metric System as a ISO standard with the Average Gregorian Year as the foundation for the Star Year. Many of the humans weren't that keen on Metric Star Day & Metric Star Time; but eventually they gave way to Vulcan Logic and internal consistency. Ergo the simpler and more consistent Star Day & Star Time sub-units for Star Date.

I always imagined Archer asking the Vulcans to intercept those poor bastards and give them a warp coil after Enterprise defeated the Xindi. Seems wrong to just leave them hanging, but then again, Archer was pretty pissed at the universe by then.
I like your solution, I'll adopt that as part of my Head Cannon. And Archer asking the Vulcans for a favor after saving Earth makes alot of sense. I doubt they would want to see Archer's face and it would a "Shoot on Sight" incident.
The apologies would have to come later formally after all the crisis were solved.

I think Rebecca Romijn looks great. You got to remember that she's 49 y/o now and a mother of twin daughters as well.
She's not the 20 something Super Model that she used to be. She's aged gracefully like "Fine Wine" and looks spectacular IMO. Jerry O'Connell is a Lucky man to be married to her.

Back