Spoilers Star Trek: Short Treks 1x02 - "Calypso"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 7, 2018.

?

Rate the short…

1. 10 - Excellent! These people know their craft.

42.6%
  2. 9

15.5%
  3. 8

18.1%
  4. 7

9.7%
  5. 6

7.1%
  6. 5

3.2%
  7. 4

1.3%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Craft me something better next time.

2.6%
  1. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

The 80s cartoon Ulysses 31 was a great scifi adaptation of the material.

This short reminded me a bit of Still Treads the Shadow with the ship and computer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved Ulysses 31 when i was little, I need to see if it's on DVD

3. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank y'all!:techman:
    Now that you spelled it out for me, I remember again (though i absolutely, 100% wasn't aware anymore that the nymph was called Calypso - knowing that it's pretty on the nose! :guffaw:)

Incidentally, this was also the part I least liked about the original Odyssee: "Oh, hurr durr, Odysseus was SO brave, took 10 years to travel back home and everything". Like, dude, he was banging another chick for 7 frickin' years of that time!

XCV330 likes this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

4: Zora was lying to herself and to him. Craft called her on it.
    5: Maybe she named herself. She had her own concept of what she would look like, as a human. Maybe she decided to give herself a name and picked Zora "Dawn" for personal reasons. Or maybe that's just the current build name of her operating system.
    7: He's crafty, maybe? Perhaps there were certain style giveaways, or the old starfleet logos, that would have been like a 4th century AD Roman legionary seeing an old Republic era helmet and realizing he was looking at an old antique.

Interestingly, Romans did not regard Odysseus as a hero, unlike the Greeks. They thought he was sneaky, deceitful and dishonorable. They probably wouldn't have cared much for the idea that he spent 7 years as a love addicted man ignoring his familial duties, either.

Greg Cox, slappy and Rahul like this.
  5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't get that impression. The conflict seemed between two factions of Antos IV. If Craft people was at war with the Federation, I doubt the A.I. would have been so helpful. I also got the impression the Federation itself may have collapsed as he referred to it as part of the past that the faction he was fighting against wanted to keep alive.

slappy likes this.
  6. Rahul

Yeah, Odysseus definitely wasn't a moral guy by todays standards. Interesting to learn he wasn't even by Roman ones! I didn't knew that!

On the other hand, I'm also a fan of stories with a "guile hero". Especially some of his adventures on the journey definitely fall into that category, I always like it more if the hero is clever and not just an honorable brute.

It's always funny to remember the Odyssee was escapist fiction back then as well - "wouldn't it be AWESOME to just KILL all your wife's admireres?" "Hell yeah!" - basically "The Punisher - ancient edition".:guffaw:

XCV330 likes this.
  7. Rahul

Back to topic:
    I really find it interesting how much more I liked Zora's voice, than the computer vice of season 1. In my opinion, the computer voice of the Discovery of season 1 was a big problem: She seemed uncaring, cold, almost authoritarian. Like you would expect the computer of "The Empire" sound, or from the Alien universe. Contrast with Majel Berret's computer voice, which (while matter-of-factly) always was had a more friendly, "Federation-y" tone.

I really hope whoever voiced "Zora" will become the new computer voice of the Discovery in the following seasons!

8. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I immediately thought of Andromeda and Rommie.

picardjean-luc likes this.
  9. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

and it had an awesome theme song (like, you know, most 80s cartoons). If I remember correctly, the theme was played in discos and clubs all over France during that time and inspired Daft Punk to become...Daft Punk

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if "Craft" was also a ship?

His name is a bit of a giveaway.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Matt Smith Doctor Who crossover CONFIRMED

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finally remembered to watch this today, and I really, really enjoyed it. It was very well written and acted, with a good story. A little more context might have been nice, but since it's a short it's understandable that it's not going to go into a ton of detail.
    I was avoiding spoilers, so I hadn't heard that Craft's enemy was the Federation. That's definitely an interesting twist.
    I wonder if this is a completely standalone story, or if it will tie to some kind of future story down the line, either in more Short Treks, Disco itself, or maybe even it's own series?

13. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

The creator of the episode already confirmed that Craft's enemy where the Federation.......

SolarisOne and picardjean-luc like this.
  14. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

It was confirmed his enemy was the Federation. Take a good look at his life pod.

Aeolusdallas likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I have just gotten around to watch the short and I must say I agree with you guys, this was simply fantastic and clearly the best episode Discovery has put out thus far!

It certainly wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it immensely. It actually made me feel something. That it almost felt like an episode of Black Mirror is actually a very positive thing, I think. I love the mystery of the setting, the positive ending, the acting of Aldis Hodge and whoever did the voice of the computer. Heck, even the cinematography was more interesting than in your standard season one episode of Discovery.

I hope this is the way more of season two will be. :techman:

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if DSC isn’t, the writer is working on the Picard show

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

What does it say about Trek that it's "best episode" reminds everyone of Black Mirror? It reminds me very much of Next Gen's "The Inner Light" being heavily praised when it wasn't like Trek at all, just some movie about someone growing old with a seperate Trekkish B-plot.

18. Michael

That oftentimes Trek was at its best when it presented something a little out of the box? That some of the best Trek outings were somewhat reminiscent of high-concept anthology shows like Black Mirror or the original Twilight Zone – like “Mirror, Mirror”, “The Inner Light”, “Far Beyond the Stars”, “Living Witness” or “Twilight”? That Trek isn't any one thing only? That tastes vary?

:shrug:

19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. The beauty of Trek is it's a format that lends itself to anything. Trek can be action-adventure, hard sci-fi, spy thriller, romance, western, high farce, costume drama, message piece. You name it, Trek has done it. Hell, the original conception of TOS was essentially "anthology show with an unchanging cast"

If Trek really has a core, it's basically about a positive examination of the human condition. Most typically, this is done through allegorical settings or through a "character drama." Calypso was both. The entire episode was an allegorical retelling of part of The Odyssey, and the entire focus on the plot was on the interactions between Craft and Zora.

I also really appreciated that this episode had zero fanwank (it was just on Discovery to save the producers money). Trek of course has fanwank, but it's not typically about fanwank. That's why I think Calypso felt much more like Trek even though it lacked the extensive callbacks that Discovery Season 1 had - because the fanwank was really the only thing that seemed Trekkian about Discovery's first season. Take away the setting and it would just seem like a generic sci-fi property. In contrast, Calypso succeeded in feeling like Trek even though the actual references to canon were so limited that you cannot figure things out without off-camera explanation from Chabon.

Jesse1066 and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

You know, I hadn't really thought of that, but yeah, kudos to them for actually going without all the unnecessary callbacks, eastereggs and fanwanks for once. No Craft being an ancestor of Benjamin Sisko's for no reason. No Bajoran food in the mess hall as a wink-wink. No Zora being an early version of the Borg or some shit like that. Feels refreshing after a season full of stuff like background Andorians, Orions, Tellarites, the house of Kor, tribbles on a desk, the Zee-Magnees Prize, the USS Shran etc. etc. etc. I swear, sometimes season one felt like it was written by the staff of Memory Alpha!

Aeolusdallas likes this.