Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x06 - "The Bounty"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 22, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

43.8%
  2. 9

22.9%
  3. 8

15.9%
  4. 7

8.5%
  5. 6

4.3%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

1.2%
  8. 3

0.8%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully it sticks the landing would hate the matalas fan boys to be disappointed

Campe and vulcancicada like this.
  2. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone want to continue the discussion in the Trek Zoom tomorrow (Saturday)? 9 PM GMT/ 5 PM EDT, link is posted in General Trek Forum at meeting time. I find myself nodding along with some of the posts here and wondering about getting to know some of the posters better. And the ones I completely disagree with I’m curious get a better sense of their perspectives. “Bounty” is basically all we’ll be discussing. So, yeah, I think it’d be nice to meet more nerds, er-uh, make new friends. :vulcan::bolian::borg::rommie::klingon::cardie:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope it sticks the landing just because I want to enjoy it!

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

My work schedule these days just doesn't allow for it. Unfortunately, it isn't like how things were during the Quarantine.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Commander Troi and Arpy like this.
  5. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ok as one of the "Matalas fan boys" I'm pretty optimistic. All the NuTrek skeptics that saw the entire season liked the ending. 12 MONKEYS really really stuck the landing, like THE SHIELD or BREAKING BAD level stuck the landing. And, the WGA credits show Terry was the solo writer of 310, so it's not like Akiva Goldsman or Alex Kurtzman came back in to close off the series, a la Berman and Braga for TATV.

If anything, the weak episode is supposed to be 307.

Mr Awe likes this.
  6. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I have tried to do a zoom through my phone, but I am not sure how to do this. If I remember correctly, it tells me to download something, but I'm wary of doing that.

(I would have to pass on tomorrow, anyway, because I will be very busy doing a lot of things that can't be postponed.)

7. Gilora

Gilora Commander Red Shirt

Speculation: the Troi we saw is not the real Troi. Remember, she's an empath. She might not be able to read Changelings, but she knows when someone is not who they appear, like when she couldn't read Soji's emotions. I'll bet that Troi and Kestra are in hiding somewhere.

I gave this one an 8 only because it was not as good as the first five. It's still very entertaining. Most beloved scene: Seven telling Jack about the Voyager.

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  8. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

XCV330, Commander Troi, Saul and 3 others like this.
  9. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Bit of Riker/Troi imzadi telepathing would sort that out. I doubt a changeling could mimic that type of bond.

10. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Which didn't even look like telekinesis... it looked more like an ability to generate energy bolts.

She could have been genetically modified for that mission. Aka, the Founders gave her 'telekinetic' abilities so she could be 'rescued' by SF, then brought to the AQ to spy for the Dominion... you know, to add 'flare' to her and make her more convincing as a fugitive of the Dominion.

That's one possible explanation behind her being demonstrably the only Vorta (on-screen) who demonstrated those abilities.
    That still doesn't mean the Founders have those abilities... and in fairness, would they need them? Sure, it can really come in hand, but given their ability to shapeshift into practically anything, maybe they found they have limited use for it.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

^That's even if she had "powers" at all. The whole thing could be easily faked with tech.

Farscape One likes this.
  12. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

I thought she might be the female changeling from DS9. I thought she went back with Odo to the Great Link in the Gamma Quadrant at the end of DS9, but maybe she returned to the Alpha Quadrant later. Or this is a different Changeling. Either way, it sounded like there was a longing to return to the Great Link. Is there some reason they can't? Why not just fly that ship home? Are they exiled? Excommunicated? Disgraced? Or maybe it is just the Dominion behind this, and they cannot return unless they are successful in whatever their mission?

13. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Female Changeling was arrested and put on trial for War Crimes and imprisoned in the Alpha Quadrant. It was whole reason why Odo went back to the Link. It's literally mentioned in episode 3 by Worf that these Changelings are a Terrorist splinter faction who left the link because they couldn't get over the Dominion's defeat

Greg Cox likes this.
  14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Martus Mazur's probability device from "Rivals(DS9)" is also in storage there. The spherical device he used to profit at gambling.

JoseNoodles likes this.
  15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard's first season dealt with the fallout of the synths being taken over and destroying Utopia Planitia, leading to their ban, and yet people are supposed to just accept that Picard's consciousness being placed inside a synth body, one that was created by a group that had been planning to wipe out organics not raise any questions about if Picard was still the same person? Or that he couldn't be compromised? Data was taken over before, so it's beyond the pale that Synth Jean-Luc couldn't be?

And while Trek is replete with stories of temporary possession of its organic, and not so organic characters, ST: Picard is the only one where the transference took hold in a body created in this manner, fashioned by what had been enemies of the Federation.

With the strong dose of paranoia and trust no one in Season 3, the idea that everyone trusts Picard like that is a missed opportunity. Shaw has more distrust for Picard for his Borg days than he does over him now being a synth, and while I do get Shaw's distress over Locutus, the idea that synth-Picard would be so widely accepted stretches credulity.

As for other difference, if synth Picard was the same as human Picard, then why did the Changelings take Picard's corpse? They could've grabbed synth Picard from his vineyard at anytime.

Regarding Spock and McCoy, McCoy held the man's katra, so he knew who he was and what was being poured into the vessel on the Genesis Planet. It wasn't like the Genesis Spock had been created by the Klingons (a la Ash Tyler in a sense). Now, personally, I also think it was missed opportunity to not do some differentiation between pre-TWOK Spock and TSFS Spock.

16. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, the problem with this argument is it pretends we don't have 75 years of mind transfer as an actual thing. It's the fans drawing a line in the sand that is completely arbitrary. Basically, it's insisting, "Listen, every time someone is transported they die and are cloned. Why are we not addressing this in-universe."

Because it's not true.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolute fanwank explosion. Possibly the most fanwanky episode in the entire Star Trek franchise.

Angry Geordi!
    Jim Kirk is alive in a Daystrom freezer?!?
    Moriarty cameo!
    Seven and Raffi broke up, officially ending any LGBTQ+ representation in this series.
    A million old ships for EAS to spooge over
    Data is back (again, again, it's meaningless now)

It was still a good episode, enjoyed it.

Campe, Gepard and BandoOfBorg like this.
  18. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've been over this repeatedly, but Trek has, going back to TOS (Return to Tomorrow, Turnabout Intruder), been absolutely consistent: Mind and body are separate things, and minds can be transferred between bodies. That is to say that Cartesian dualism exists in the Trekverse, even if it doesn't in our universe.

Therefore, any statement that the original Picard has ceased to exist, and the "golem" is just a copy, is factually incorrect.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Ending their relationship doesn’t make Seven and Raffi not LGBTQ+ representatives.

20. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Riker will know it's the real Troi because he can speak telepathically to the real Troi.

Gilora, XCV330 and SpocksOddSocks like this.