Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 2x09 - "Hide and Seek"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Apr 27, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

13.0%
  2. 9

23.5%
  3. 8

25.0%
  4. 7

10.5%
  5. 6

6.0%
  6. 5

3.5%
  7. 4

3.5%
  8. 3

7.0%
  9. 2

1.5%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

6.5%
  1. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Correct, but we didn't see that Maurice and Yvette completely shunned technology. They lived a very low tech life it seems, so, would they really opt to not get medical treatment for something like this?

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

As with Season 1, I feel a great premise slipping away.

I like the Jurati/Borg thing...at least I did until they decided to be pals and let her fly off in their ship. Soong is ridiculous. And Picard's trauma, while it might have made for an interesting, dark episode of TNG, seems distracting and unrelated.

Where the fuck is Q? What's the point? Where's Guinan? One Renee must live and the other must die?

I don't know....I'm less optimistic that they'll be able to stick the landing.

Here's hoping.

Saul, StarMan and gweeps like this.
  3. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I never watch YouTube for reviews for shows I watch, as the bits I do see melt my brain instantly.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  4. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel the finale needs to be 70 minutes to accomplish what they've set up during the season.

I still don't like how we haven't seen Q interacting with 21st century anything. No getting out of an Uber. No interactions with a waitress when he was meeting with Soong in that diner. He just pops in and out as if he still can. At least we got a small scene of Borg Queen annoyed with Soong's outdated technology.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If DSC stuck the landing but PIC won't I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

6. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Their extending the premise too far. The problem seems to be that they are stretching out 5 episodes worth of content into 10 episodes. That's the real issue with the current incarnation of Trek, they are stretching these serialized stories out too long. Because of this, too often we'll get an episode in which nothing really happens and the plot does not advance. That means that by the end we're all kind of bored.

Vince A and StarMan like this.
  7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I'm not 100% sure that was a Luger. The whole episode was so damn dark it was hard to make out details. I'll have to look at it again to see what it is. Haven't found any good screen caps of that scene yet. Regardless, however, remember he also new how to operate a Thompson sub machine gun in FC. Both are early 20th century weapons that are relatively easy to figure out, and I'm sure the Academy combat training curriculum would have included gas-propelled projectile weapons of pre-warp civilizations for just such a scenario.

urbandefault likes this.
  8. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is not a failure of the format. There are no shortage of serialized shows that have kept me glued to the screen - Better Call Saul being a recent, top tier example. If it sticks the landing - great, but that doesn't undo the meandering, dreary and nonsensical path we took to get there.

We'll see soon enough with SNW whether a new writing team and format can reinvigorate the franchise.

Mr Awe, XCV330 and Kaelef like this.
  9. 137th Gebirg

@Tuskin38 makes a good point here. The warp governor (along with its connecting pylons) of the original NX was removed and replaced down as a part of the new secondary hull attachment:
    [​IMG]

In-universe, this appears to be another variant, possibly an intermediate state between the original NX and the refit, when they were playing around with the design with new technologies in an effort to "get it right".

IRL, definitely not an Eaglemoss model. I'm thinking it was a quick kitbash of the Polar Lights 1:1000 NX kit, which contained parts for both the original and the refit. They just threw it together differently. It measures 9.25 inches long, which matches the approximate size of the model we saw young Picard playing with on-screen.

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I've got a feeling the FBI Guy will be back next week. I have no way to prove this or explain it, but this is what I think nonetheless. Something was planted there. Like Riker in Season 1.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I think they could've easily had 10 episodes of content with this season. The problem is that it lost focus. There's no other way to say it than to say it. It lost focus.

Say what you want to about Discovery, but at least it knows what its focus is. Whether some people like what it's focusing on or not. That hasn't been the case with this season of Picard. I've enjoyed it, but it's all over the place.

Mr. Adventure and Mr Awe like this.
  12. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't know if this has been brought up with regards to Seven in Starfleet, but she put herself in an awkward place from the get-go by going by 'Seven of Nine' all this time. I'm sure it wasn't the only factor related to their decisions, but going by that name can be easily inferred to be a sign of allegiance to the Borg. All other liberated Borg drones have returned to their original names, and the one who never had one took a name that did not denote their Borg designation (Hugh), so it's even more conspicuous.

Not saying I agree with that decision, of course.

Kevman7987 and jackoverfull like this.
  13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or you know, JL is a kid and just messed about.

Amaris, fireproof78 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  14. 137th Gebirg

It could also be an "imperfect memory". This is all a series of flashbacks that we're witnessing in Picard's mind. Dreams are always pretty stylized IRL. Picard clearly knows the history of the NX and its refit. It is entirely possible he put the two together in his fuzzy subconscious, as he was probably more concerned about other things going on at the time. :)

15. 137th Gebirg

Nah... Some of the wacky shit that people do to themselves these days with massive facial and body piercings, tattoos and other enhancements that would make a Cyberpunk Jack-Drac blush? Enough holes in them, they'll whistle a symphony standing in a stiff wind. Additionally, this is L.A., remember. She'll fit right in until she gets back to the 25th. Nobody will give her a second glance. She may decide to stay...

16. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seven's killing those "Borg" drones was something I found pretty disturbing. In the heat of battle, sure, but if she had access to a transporter, just teleport them to somewhere far away. Why kill them? As a liberated Borg, she must know that there is hope for them.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's a flesh and blood robot.

His memories from his original body were downloaded into the Golem and then transmigrated to whatever chasis he has now.

His memories are digital, and they are stored digitally on a flesh and blood computer hard drive.

His memory is perfect.

18. El Maestro

El Maestro Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, not really. The intent of watching a Galaxy Class ship be easily destroyed by the Jem Hadar was to show that they were a real threat, and to be taken very seriously. It was very smart subliminal messaging: "you just watched this ship survive all manner of crazy threats for the better part of 7 years and now look, this terrifying new enemy can handle it no problem. Shit just got real." If, in GEN, the D was destroyed by something big and scary I would be fine with it...but what ended up happening was dumb. I know it's silly that I'm hung up on this! But she was destroyed with no honor and for dumb reasons. When Kirk blew up the 1701 in TSFS it was very well presented and handled and you could feel the stakes. The E-D's destruction was hollow and empty.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Not in 2024, on earth, with unstable new Borg technology using imperfect materials as a source. It was likely too much of a risk. I did assume, however, she would have just dispersed them via the transporter as the most painless and "humane" way to deal with them.

Sci likes this.
  20. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

At this point I don't think they can have a satisfying ending with only 1 episode left. I am kinda expecting some big cliffhanger that leaves us waiting until next season to see what happened.