Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x02 - "Maps and Legends"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Jan 28, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - TNG is back!

15.3%
  2. 9

23.0%
  3. 8

34.3%
  4. 7

12.0%
  5. 6

8.3%
  6. 5

3.7%
  7. 4

1.3%
  8. 3

0.7%
  9. 2

0.7%
  10. 1 - TNG is back.

0.7%
  1. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Channeling another poster, I'll correct you. It's actually "homage." I could deliver a long dissertation about the meaning of the word and its application in grammar, but that would be unnecessary and, honestly, a little skeebish*.

*I think I just made up that word. Feel free to adopt it into your vocabulary. :techman:

2. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

Nope. Skeebish has already been invented.

3. oberth

oberth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

does 'just a fucking typo' mean anything to you? [​IMG]

4. oberth

oops

..., sir?

5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Vice Admiral Admiral

:biggrin:

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And I've seen Happy Days cited in the industry as an example of a show that stuck around longer than it should have. When cast and/or showrunners decide to bow out while their series is still good, when it could easily last many more years given its ratings, they tend to cite examples like that as the show that they don't want to become.

SolarisOne likes this.
  7. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

I don't know if you realize this but Happy Days is cited for originating this phrase and meme because they had an episode where Fonzie actually jumped a shark on his motorcycle.:eek:

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm aware, I was speaking of the infamy of its later decline, as a counterpoint to another poster having cited the show's longevity.

9. AlanC9

AlanC9 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We're all on the same page here. I supposes jumping the shark requires a show to have maintained enough of its popularity; otherwise, it'd just be cancelled instead of hanging around after jumping.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    How disappointing was the 11th and final season of Happy Days? They didn't even keep the same legendary theme music and had the opening song rerecorded and as a vastly inferior version. That entire season was a lesson in dragging a series one year longer than it needed to be on the air.

Well...the final season of Laverne & Shirley was even sadder in some respects. :vulcan:

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen either of these shows since I was a kid. And I prefer to remember them as good shows. So I think I'll spare myself the YouTube watch.

12. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was actually waterskiing. While still wearing his leather jacket to boot.

13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Vice Admiral Admiral

... and enough Aqua Velva in his hair to act as a floating life-preserver if he missed the jump.
    :eek:

BillJ likes this.
  14. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't hommage the original French word and therefore just as valid?

oberth likes this.
  15. Skipper

Skipper Commodore Commodore

I read somewhere that Happy Days didn't really jump the shark when Fonzie, well, jumped the shark because the show was still quite popular after that.

ETA: the writer of the original episode said that:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  16. oberth

yep - it's also the way it's spelled in german. as it's not really a german word and the french language is irrelevant in the 24th century (ffs even french dudes speak french with an english accent) i 'conceded' a typo [​IMG]

NCC-73515 likes this.
  17. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maps and Legends
    The second episode. Beginning with the attack on Mars was an interesting choice. That the Synths were hacked in the course of the attack was obvious, but it was cool to see it in action. Then in the episode proper the narrative splits into two storylines. Picard in his investigation of Dahj and her twin. And that twin, Soji's work on the Borg cube which has been cut off from the Collective, along with how Narek is involved (more on that below). First, Picard and Laris investigating Dahj's apartment in Boston.
    Splitting the scene between the investigation of the apartment and Laris telling Picard of the Zaht Vash seemed a little strange, but I was able to follow. It was well done in any case. Then Picard talking with his old friend from the Stargazer. (Iromodic Syndrome?) Also well presented. Then Picard goes to Starfleet Command to request their help in finding Soji (to protect her from the Zaht Vash). Admiral Clancy using 'colorful metaphors' wasn't necessary in my opinion. Just detracted a bit from the seriousness of the scene.
    However, to Soji (and Narek). Narek seemed to work quite fast on her. Obviously more to him than meets the eye (as with Soji). It seems the Tal Shiar/Zaht Vash has already found her (But why kill Dahj?) and are investigating her (although Narek's method is... strange). But, what Soji is doing, reclaiming former Borg drones, removing the implants. That was certainly well presented (if a little gory). There is more there to tell. There is probably going to be a problem at the Cube at some point.
    A connection between Admiral Clancy and a Commodore Oh, to Narek via his sister who is posing as a Starfleet Lieutenant. Clancy's discussion with Oh was done quite well as was the discussion between Narek and his sister. How Picard's journey will interact with them will certainly be intresting to find out. 9/10.

18. Takeru

Takeru Takeru - Space Police Premium Member

I'm a little late to the but what was Picard thinking going to the admiral and asking to be reinstated and to get a ship and crew after he publically took a dump on starfleet just a few days before? Of course she was going to say no especially because he had zero proof for romulan super spies hunting a human synth.

19. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was probably your brain trying to protect you from painful stupidity.

20. oberth

after that dump