Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x02 - "Maps and Legends"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Jan 28, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - TNG is back!

15.3%
  2. 9

22.9%
  3. 8

34.2%
  4. 7

12.0%
  5. 6

8.6%
  6. 5

3.7%
  7. 4

1.3%
  8. 3

0.7%
  9. 2

0.7%
  10. 1 - TNG is back.

0.7%
  1. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They claim it's because they decided that hearing about the Mars attack in the first episode didn't have enough emotional impact, so they felt the need to add a visual depiction.

Having read the prequel comics, it's very, very unlikely that either would betray him.

I didn't really get any idea from the prequel scene at the top of the episode that the "synths" were anything but humanoid machines. They didn't act like self-aware beings at all. Did Data ever just stay in a closet until it was time for his shift to begin?

2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I think the writers have watched it more than some "fans".............I don't think the slave androids were common knowledge.

777, Gonzo and Lord Garth like this.
  3. B. L.

B. L. Lieutenant Red Shirt

Meanwhile exocomps

NCC-73515 likes this.
  4. B. L.

The point is that Picard never publicly denounced Starfleet for this when he had a chance. He only wanted to get mad at them for discrimination against them, not enslaving them.

If they were "dumbbots" then there's no relationship to Data, and he would have mentioned the distinction when he was questioned by the reporter.

5. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Romulan ;)

Yep, this

Yep, just rescaled. I reaaallly hope they use Warp 13 in the next episode when they finally get on their way.

Last assimilation was 16 years ago, BEFORE Mars attack. Very interesting implications....

There is 50+ years of Star Trek. Different people take different things from it. It's only natural

Because she is new Number One, and former Number One, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry was also, the computer/narrator? There is meta, there is good meta, and there is too much meta. I think this is the latter category.

I could buy them from Amazon and have them on my desk tomorrow. Won't make me a Vulcan. She could have gotten those as gifts after good dealings with Vulcans.

Vasquez Rocks were playing themselves in this episode. A nice change of pace :D

VPN, get VPN. There as some good free ones, but even paid ones are worth $2-3/month you'd pay for them

I still can't spell Dahj without looking it up. :D

I'll start using it instead of frack, whenever I want to swear on the forums ;)

She's the only Admiral I remembered from TNG before I started rewatching it in prep for Picard.

6. Datasbeard

Datasbeard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One would hope that by the 24th century, organizations would rise above retaliating against those who would criticize them.

Trekker4747 likes this.
  7. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    It's essentially this version of the Star Trek Online Galaxy Map...
    (which is the one they had at launch of the game back in 2010)

WARNING: REALLY HUGE IMAGE ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    oberth, F. King Daniel and SJGardner like this.
  8. KennyB

My point is I don't think ANYONE outside the facility knew about the army of slave androids. How could Picard complain if he did not know about them. We need more info before we pass judgment on Picard or the writing staff.

Gonzo likes this.
  9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Again, this is Picard's perception of what Starfleet should be versus what it actually is. You know how Worf is more Klingon than Klingon? Picard is more Starfleet than Starfleet. Most of Starfleet doesn't think like him. They're not textbook officers, whereas Picard is.

burningoil, 777, nicholasm and 8 others like this.
  10. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One more thing I forgot to mention...
    Romulans with ridges, definitely saw some some ridges on Romulan guards. Not as pronounced as TNG, but definitely confirms that there are different Romulan races :)

11. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

From the comic, they have pretty good reasons to be loyal to Picard.

But also, pretty good reasons to act suspiciously.

Gonzo and KennyB like this.
  12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why are they slaves? Are he other workers slaves too? Why can't the synth be just working there like the rest of them?

13. Datasbeard

Datasbeard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Normalize what? That people can meet, be interested in one another, and have sex? That's becoming more rare?

All mean-sounding examples. Really proliferates the myth that if a woman rejects someone she's a bitch. A woman can say "no, not interested," and there's literally nothing sinister or malicious in that at all. If you perceive it that way, that's your problem and no one else's.

nicholasm, Masiral, AgentCoop and 9 others like this.
  14. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

Retaliation has been an element in Star Trek for a long, long time.

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Those androids didn’t seem to reach the threshold of sentience.

Gilora, SJGardner and Kor like this.
  16. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

They're kept in a storage locker, called "plastic", insulted because they're not human, etc.

You really think they were being viewed as just another worker?

antinoos and B. L. like this.
  17. B. L.

Let's assume he does not know about them during the Romulan evacuation.

The public widely knows about the synthetics at the point of the broadcast interview. The reporter specifically mentions this, and goes on to question Picard on his trust in synthetics. 1

1. He gives no indication that he was unaware of their use.
    2. He does not protest when they compare them to data as one might expect if they were "dumbbots". He simply says he trusted him and did not know why the synths did what they did.
    3. He never mentions at all the ethics of using them in the first place. We know he cares deeply about at least one android, and in the past he has shown respect for these life forms and even dumber life forms at the cost of his own.
    4. Even if he did not know about them until afterwards, it does not make sense that he does not mention his condemnation for Starfleet for using an android slave race. He would at the very least included it in his lists of grievances against them to explain his exit.

18. KennyB

No my word.....was replying to BL. Yeah I get your point...........they do get time off it seems. Just in a closet ;-)

oberth likes this.
  19. B. L.

Let's also ignore the way he treats the hologram lady in his locker room. He never acted that way before. He knows from his experiences that there's a very fine line between an automaton and sentience.

Of course, his dementia explains it all away, lol such a cheap get out of jail free card for the writers to explain bad writing.

20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the variety of Romulan "looks," with more natural hairstyles, and different levels of forehead smoothness/bumpiness. Even the more built-up foreheads somehow look much more aesthetically appealing than the TNG-era forehead brow.

Kor