Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x11 - "Su'Kal"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 23, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

11.8%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

18.5%
  4. 7

22.6%
  5. 6

7.2%
  6. 5

7.7%
  7. 4

4.1%
  8. 3

3.6%
  9. 2

3.1%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

4.1%
  1. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

More like "Future Imperfect", only the child has the power to cause ships to explode throughout the galaxy.

This is the second episode where I grew frustrated with the story and jumped ahead to the ending.

2. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Also the AU episode where the EMH survives to the 30th century in "Voyager," have a family, and so forth.

3. starfleettanner

starfleettanner Commander Red Shirt

I wonder why they keep saying that episodes are released on Thursdays when its clearly released on Wednesdays in the 11:00 pm hour? Anyways, a good episode that answers the Burn question, now onto next weeks episode that concludes the cliffhanger ending we got. Also, really eerie to see Saru as Doug Jones aka a Human...like, that's so unexpected and yet so fantastic.

4. picardjean-luc

It's Disco's answer to Mark Jackson - the actor who played the AI Isaac in "The Orville" playing his character without prosthetic in the episode where he dates the ship doctor (that's him from 2:46 to 2:56)

Deledrius likes this.
  5. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Really did not care for that. The dialogue was almost unbearable at times. The story reminded me of low-ebb TNG.

Michael and eschaton like this.
  6. trek.

trek. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

inexperienced ensign is the XO and gets the ship captured. the captain abandons his post and stays behind for an alien. lol ridiculous.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a decent episode but I kinda wish they had held off on Ossyra until next week. I enjoyed the Trek plot in the holoprogram but having Ossyra show up kind of felt like racking too much on. However I did like Tully in the captain role but that was a hell of a first day in the command chair. The ship got taken over. That doesn’t look good on the resume.

The stuff dealing with the Kelpian survivor was pretty good but I am disappointed that the Burn comes down to a scared kid. All that build up and that is what they came up with? It feels a little anticlimactic. However, seeing Doug Jones sans make up was really great and the whole alter ego thing was the most interesting thing about the episode. Also what this is doing with Suru’s psyche is great.

I’m giving this episode a 6 but I think on a second watch it might go up to a 7.

Deledrius likes this.
  8. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess they say Thursday so people don't overwhelm them at 11 pacific XD
    That could also be why they moved it from Sunday afternoon to middle of the week at night - not that many people are gonna watch it at the same time.

Doug as Doug also reminded me of Storm Front, where Silik took a human form, and Far Beyond the Stars

Deledrius likes this.
  9. tomalak301

I wonder why they switched episode titles a few days before airing. Was Citadel supposed to be the holoprogram?

10. picardjean-luc

At least the episode show's Tilly as a more capable captain than Acting Captain Wesley Crusher ;).

Deledrius likes this.
  11. Lakenheath 72

I think the Citadel referred to the fortress, the place where the child hid.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Tully really should’ve realized that the Discovery was boarded as soon as Stamets didn’t answer her.

Did they ditch the prosthetic? That looked like Janet Kidder in just green make up this week.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  13. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The sphere data is merged with the computer and cares about the crew. Why didn't it immediately put forcefields around the intruders?

Deledrius and Tim Thomason like this.
  14. tomalak301

I didn’t even think about that but now I’m wondering why we haven’t heard from Zora since that one episode.

Deledrius likes this.
  15. Lakenheath 72

Maybe it was affected by the child's outburst?

I have thoughts on why we haven't heard from Zora and they are not flattering of the writers or the producers who make this series.

16. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rule of plot like a lot of this show. The sphere data was enough to prevent Discovery from getting destroyed this season. Now all it does is suggest movies and Guardian of Forever locations.

We're told at the beginning of this season that long range sensors are crippled because of the Burn. To the point a Federation officer spent 40 years in isolation. Now Osyraa can instantly realize that Discovery is in a distant portion of the galaxy and immediately follow them. Ok.

17. GothicPudding

GothicPudding Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I believe the episode title was only officially announced this week. It's possible the title was changed weeks ago. It looks like the WGA West accidentally posted the expected episode titles for Season 3 online in October, and presumably there was at least one change since then.

18. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Happy Christmas to All...
    • Opens straight from the last episode. I like that, even if I don't particularly like that last scene. Yeah, of course, Adira Tal didn't know Philippa, so I didn't know why the Tals would even be there.
    • Adira, if you're going to talk to yourself, probably best to leave the room.
    • How long do Kelpiens live? They're literally cattle, so I would imagine not long, but okay.
    • "I think we may have just found the source of the Burn." - I thought you already figured that out? I thought the 'dilithium nursery' referenced last episode was a reference to a planet?
    • "A planet made of dilithium?!" Is that... so odd? Dilithium mining is done tons of times in Star Trek, that I just assumed there were lots of these. I guess not.
    • I agree with the Fleet Admiral's look when he heard about Acting Captain Tilly.
    • The robots are still called DOTs in the 32nd century.
    • The Discovery and the Shenzhou were both built in San Francisco? Or just their chairs? But they have different chairs...
    • For Christ's sake, will someone please promote Tilly? You can't keep calling her Ensign and have her take command over the ship.
    • I'm guessing that this away team won't go smoothly, if only because there's 40 minutes left to go.
    • "Number One, you have the conn. Also everyone on the bridge outranks you."
    • Also, didn't she "have the Conn" as Captain Killy. I guess, that's nowhere near the same thing. Also, I presume she should be taking over fairly regular for night shifts and the like if she's going to be an effective Acting First Officer, but whatever.
    • Man, Ash Tyler would've killed for this easy species reassignment process.
    • Okay, so it's just a holo overlay. I'm not sure how that explains Saru's feet, but okay. Or his heart. That holographic teacher was wearing a TNG badge with a sorta-Discovery era jumpsuit. Burn-era uniform?
    • Like the flying gormaganders.
    • Oh, great. We have a holodeck malfunction episode.
    • "Kelpien and Ba'ul Alliance" - that ends the fan theory of a (complete) Ba'ul genocide
    • Calling it now: The Monster is the Child.
    • Cloak fight!
    • So that "oldest Kelpien" you ever seen is over 130 years old? Again, how old are the Kelpiens, Saru? Is this Child younger than your father was? He certainly looks it.
    • "Su'Kal" that is his name. It would've been odd if he had been named The Citadel.
    • Nice confrontation between Tilly and Osyraa.
    • Su'Kal is causing the Burn? I don't like this, if this isn't better explained.
    • Great, the Discovery is probably going to be taken.
    • No, Burnham. Just take over the ship. You should be Captain. You can't mutiny against yourself (*does not apply to Adira).
    • Oh, the Discovery is gone. Michael and Book will die soon, Saru and Adira and Culber some point after that. The Federation will be destroyed. It was a nice series. See you guys for Section 31.
    • Oh, wait. There's another episode next week. Apparently, this isn't the end of everything. Color me surprised.
    ...and to all a good night!

Markonian likes this.
  19. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. It would've been nice to see an army of holographic Audrey Hepburns show up to take down Osyraa's Foot soldiers.

Mr. Adventure, Deledrius and Unicron like this.
  20. picardjean-luc

I have a feeling The Sphere Data/Zora will somehow be featured in the finale and that the Disco crew had to abandon shop because of whichever scheme the Emerald Chain is doing in the next episode.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020