Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x10 - "The Red Angel"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Leaps and bounds ahead of anything Trek has done before.

10.6%
  2. 9

24.2%
  3. 8

28.0%
  4. 7

14.8%
  5. 6

8.5%
  6. 5

3.8%
  7. 4

3.4%
  8. 3

2.5%
  9. 2

0.8%
  10. 1 - Oh boy, what a mess.

3.4%
  1. The Vast Loneliness

The Vast Loneliness Ensign Newbie

I thought the episode was good. Too bad Hannah Cheesman couldn't have played the role. Showing her face kinda ruined it. Why Sarah Mitich gets to play the role again isn't as cool as if Cheesman got to play the role. Sarah quit. Hannah wanted to stay on. Weird.

2. The Vast Loneliness

The red angel reveal was cool. Well executed all around.

Sarxus likes this.
  3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do love that they were not afraid to say 'Gay' in this episode. If this had been Berman Trek and they had actually had the guts to have two men be in love you know the line would have been 'You do know he mates with men?'

BeatleJWOL, Thowra, JoeP and 5 others like this.
  4. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think it was a great episode, easily one of the best season 2 episodes so far. It was extemely thrilling (especially the last 10 minutes, that was intense), touched classic Star Trek topics like selflessness and being ready to sacrifice oneself for the greater good, and it finally brought big reveals.

I just wonder actually why they gave away more or less the season's biggest secrets already in episode 10 out of 14.

JoeP likes this.
  5. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mitich didn't quit. She's played Lt. Nilsson since the start of the season. The issue was Mitich developed problems with the make up, not with working on the show.

6. The Vast Loneliness

Ok, thanks for the info, I did not know that. It is still too bad Cheesman was able to deal with the makeup and her thanks is to be killed off, while the actress who couldn't stand the makeup gets to stay on the show.

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sarah didn't quit per se - she was having allergic reactions to the materials used to apply the prosthetic pieces needed for the character of Airiam. It's why they continued to use her in other background shots. It was beyond the Actresses' control in that no one would expect her to sacrifice her health and well being for a TV role.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was actually hoping Sarah Mitich's Nilsson character was going to be revealed as our mysterious chief engineer and get a sizable role living up to Scotty, La Forge, Tucker, Torres. Now it seems that Mitich just went back to being one of the many background people on the bridge. :( Hopefully she'll get more to do.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Do you have a link for that? When I first heard about the new actress playing Airiam, I tried to find out why but could not find any info, only speculation.

10. The Vast Loneliness

Can't argue the logic. At least one Airiam actress was brought back. Hopefully they find a way to bring Airiam back. Maybe the Klingons or some other alien race will find her drifting in space and revive her and then somehow she'll be rescued/reunited with the crew in season 3....you heard it first here :)

11. The Vast Loneliness

Same here. Never heard that was the reason Sarah left.

12. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's kind of the vibe I was going for tbh, albeit not definitively pointing towards the borg.
    True, but I was rather disappointed that it felt as though the idea that people could hold multiple sexual preferences was dismissed as something only the "evil" counterparts could possibly entertain. Feels like the standard dismissal of bisexuality/other that often goes with modern societal views, if not going even further.

Thowra, Jinn and jespah like this.
  13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm of two minds on this one, so I'm not voting. There's part of me that would give it an '8', there's another part that tells me this is a barely a '5'.

Acting is solid all the way around, beyond the Burnham/Tyler scenes. The time travel doesn't make much sense, as @cultcross points out above. The Discovery could've beamed Burnham up instead of waiting for the Red Angel to appear. The Section 31 stuff is pretty dull. The Red Angel reveal was the "out of left field" reveal I was fearing from the show.

Thowra, lawman and eschaton like this.
  14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    (*Plays song and dances*)

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I usually watch these episodes 2 or 3 times so I can fully digest the story. So far, I've seen this one just the one time. I'll get in a couple more over the weekend.

Regardless of my opinion, I always vote 10 in the poll. You know, just to piss off the haters. :techman:

Pindar, JoeP, SpocksOddSocks and 8 others like this.
  16. BillJ

I treat a 10 the same as I treat a 1.

Jadeb likes this.
  17. urbandefault

I meant Teh Real Haterz. :techman:

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. BillJ

It just feels like a wasted vote. There's very little Star Trek or entertainment in general that is perfect. So I immediately disregard a 10 just like I do a 1 from a hater. It may come from a different spot, but it is just as unrealistic a rating.

At least for me. :techman:

Sarxus and lawman like this.
  20. urbandefault

It's an internet poll. Vote up or down, makes no difference. But it does make a difference to some, and we both know who they are. :beer:

JoeP and jespah like this.